Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rebekah Brooks arrested!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Finally stringing up the right people! She would have known all this was going on. She would have authorised the payments to the police, and wouldn't have thought twice about doing whatever to return a profit for Murdoch...

Slime - each and every inch of her....

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
It's an unbelievably cynical arrest by her friends in the Metropolitan Police Service just two days before she and Murdoch were due to appear and give evidence to the Culture and Media Select Committee. Now she can turn up and say she can't talk due to legal advice. I don't generally go in for conspiracy theories but this stinks of a Metropolitan Police and News International cover up.

franks brother

Has she been actually arrested or simply 'helping with enquiries'?

Perverting the course of justice perhaps?

Couldn't happen to a nicer woman.

I wonder if the plod would dare go the whole hog and arrest Murdoch........

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's an unbelievably cynical arrest by her friends in the Metropolitan Police Service just two days before she and Murdoch were due to appear and give evidence to the Culture and Media Select Committee. Now she can turn up and say she can't talk due to legal advice. I don't generally go in for conspiracy theories but this stinks of a Metropolitan Police and News International cover up.

She didn't need to be arrested to avoid answering questions relating to the Police inquiry and I thought the general concensus was this was exactly what she was going to do when up before the select committee, ie avoid answering questions. Other comments today suggest it is a cynical move by the Police to divert attention from their, at best ineptness, and at worse, corruption.

Notwithstanding the above, Cameron must be getting closer to the edge of his seat!!! I suspect he is very nervous at the moment.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
She didn't need to be arrested to avoid answering questions relating to the Police inquiry and I thought the general concensus was this was exactly what she was going to do when up before the select committee, ie avoid answering questions. Other comments today suggest it is a cynical move by the Police to divert attention from their, at best ineptness, and at worse, corruption.

Notwithstanding the above, Cameron must be getting closer to the edge of his seat!!! I suspect he is very nervous at the moment.

But it's the arrest which means she can justifiably say she can't answer as there's a live case. If it hadn't happened, the Select committe could have put her under a lot of pressure to answer.

Sir Paul Stephenson has now just resigned. Where will this end? Cameron won't go over this but definitely weakens him, for now.

Until our attention returns to the next economic implosion, likely to be Italy and soon.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Why does this weaken Cameron? Blair and Brown were in bed with the Murdochs too - so is this a case of Cameron being left holding the baby?

or is it guilt by association...in which case the entire Board of News Corp should be on the march too?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sneaky george is right, this probably does her a favor regarding the select committee. i'm not sure, but does she even have to attend now? certainly they cant pry to much for risk of prejudicing any future trial.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Behind a big story is usually an even bigger one. With this hacking story getting bigger and bigger, involving the press, the police, the Prime Minister, ex-Prime Ministers and the Royal Family, are they trying to divert attention from something even bigger?

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Blair and Brown were in bed with the Murdochs too - so is this a case of Cameron being left holding the baby?

Blair & Brown in bed with the Murdochs? Hopefully not in a charlie & the chocolate factory, top & tail stylie.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
sneaky george is right, this probably does her a favor regarding the select committee. i'm not sure, but does she even have to attend now? certainly they cant pry to much for risk of prejudicing any future trial.

The cyncial side of me is saying the police have arrested her for the very reason she can't sing now!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why does this weaken Cameron? Blair and Brown were in bed with the Murdochs too - so is this a case of Cameron being left holding the baby?

or is it guilt by association...in which case the entire Board of News Corp should be on the march too?

Of course Blair and Brown courted the titles of News Int, but they were never as cosy as Cameron has been. Remember that Campell was Blair's press secretary and he was from the Mirror, so hardly was a favourite with News Int. You also seem to forget that Cameron employed someone who had previously resigned over the affair and we are led to believe he merely took his assurances at face value that he didn't know anything. Even after he resigned from his job with Cameron, he still had at least one meeting with him. As for Brooks, she apparently lives a mile down the road from Cameron, and in the roads they live in, that could mean their next door neighbours!!!!!

Coulson went because it was on his watch (and he probably knew about it), Brooks has gone for the same reason and now so has Stephenson. Blair and Brown don't really have a position to resign from and the worst of this case has blown up on Cameron's watch. He may get away with it if no evidence comes out that he knew or was told about the practices before he hired Coulson or, that when he did find out, he didn't sack him.

Just on a point of law though, if he did resign, would that make Clegg the Prime Minister? Now there's food for thought. The major party with the least votes holding the highest office.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It is on conspiracy charges. This means she has been ordered to keep stum. To incriminate others means to incriminate herself.

How can we bury this? (DC)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Of course Blair and Brown courted the titles of News Int, but they were never as cosy as Cameron has been. Remember that Campell was Blair's press secretary and he was from the Mirror, so hardly was a favourite with News Int. You also seem to forget that Cameron employed someone who had previously resigned over the affair and we are led to believe he merely took his assurances at face value that he didn't know anything. Even after he resigned from his job with Cameron, he still had at least one meeting with him. As for Brooks, she apparently lives a mile down the road from Cameron, and in the roads they live in, that could mean their next door neighbours!!!!!

Coulson went because it was on his watch (and he probably knew about it), Brooks has gone for the same reason and now so has Stephenson. Blair and Brown don't really have a position to resign from and the worst of this case has blown up on Cameron's watch. He may get away with it if no evidence comes out that he knew or was told about the practices before he hired Coulson or, that when he did find out, he didn't sack him.

Just on a point of law though, if he did resign, would that make Clegg the Prime Minister? Now there's food for thought. The major party with the least votes holding the highest office.

Don't feel the least bit sorry for Cameron but he has to work a lot harder to get Murdoch on side than Blair did.

Murdoch is an odd one, bit like Thatcher. Very anti-establishment, but brutal capitalist. Doesn't particularly like the Royals either.

Both Blair and Thatcher fought hard against the old guard in their respective parties so it's relatively easy to see how Murdoch found them very easy to support.

Both Major and Cameron represent something that Murdoch appears to hate about the English.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Condor

Don't feel the least bit sorry for Cameron but he has to work a lot harder to get Murdoch on side than Blair did.

Murdoch is an odd one, bit like Thatcher. Very anti-establishment, but brutal capitalist. Doesn't particularly like the Royals either.

Both Blair and Thatcher fought hard against the old guard in their respective parties so it's relatively easy to see how Murdoch found them very easy to support.

Both Major and Cameron represent something that Murdoch appears to hate about the English.

Murdoch is a strange "vulture". He supported Margaret Thatcher and stuck his neck out for Jeremy Archer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here