Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Realistically, do you think OG will be given the green light to bring in......

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
People suggest loaning a striker from Forest, why should they loan us a player who could get us promoted and mean they miss out!

If they can afford not to, of course they wouldn't. But hypothetically, if Davis needs a full back on loan for cover but has no budget, his only option maybe to send a spare striker out on loan, to get another player in. Like I said, probably not through choice but necessity.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Just face the facts not a chance of a new striker before forest. Only chance in the next few weeks will be if that dog shit striker from spurs 6th team gets over his injury. Feel sorry for oscar with barber pulling the purse strings.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Some things not right with what's going on. We needed striker(s) in the Transfer window but nothing. We needed striker(s) when the loan window happened. Nothing yet. I'm not having all this FFP crap, we were told in the Fans Forum we had the same budget as last year? We were told we were going for the play offs. WTF is going on?

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Some things not right with what's going on. We needed striker(s) in the Transfer window but nothing. We needed striker(s) when the loan window happened. Nothing yet. I'm not having all this FFP crap, we were told in the Fans Forum we had the same budget as last year? We were told we were going for top play offs. WTF is going on?

Guessing we are very borderline for hitting FFP maximum, and we are also trying to save as much as possible for when we have to give Leo and Liam enhanced contracts in January.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I must admit I am a little tired about hearing "it needs to be the right player. Someone who brings something different". We have no options at the moment. Any striker would bring something different at the moment as we only have one. We can't wait. Barnes injured / red card on Sat - what then?

What about young Barker from the development squad, if he's not knocking on the door whats he doing in the DS, he is scoring at the moment. It would be good to see him on the bench tomorrow at least.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Guessing we are very borderline for hitting FFP maximum, and we are also trying to save as much as possible for when we have to give Leo and Liam enhanced contracts in January.

Does anyone know what the FFP maximum is? Don't get me wrong, im not for one minute saying there is something untoward going on but it really frustrates me that we have had this striker crisis since last season and we had a chance to rectify it in the transfer window and didn't. We have had the chance since the loan window opened and have not acted on it. We could all see from a mile off what would happen if Leo got injured but for some reason the "suits" couldn't. This is no way to act if you want to be in the top 6 at the end of the season. We are now relying on Barnes up front against Forrest, not slagging Barnes as i like the bloke but 1 striker left. Really?

Rant over - And breath.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
People suggest loaning a striker from Forest, why should they loan us a player who could get us promoted and mean they miss out!

Agreed. No chance of that happening BG.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Why did Chelsea loan Moses to Liverpool.
Why did Bolton loan us Keith Andrews

I could go on and on and on and on.

Chelsea = mistake. See Lukaku.
Bolton = money AND mistake. Spearing better than Andrews!? No.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Some things not right with what's going on. We needed striker(s) in the Transfer window but nothing. We needed striker(s) when the loan window happened. Nothing yet. I'm not having all this FFP crap, we were told in the Fans Forum we had the same budget as last year? We were told we were going for the play offs. WTF is going on?

Sadly, I kinda feel the same. If we have lowered the playing budget, then at least let us know. The club is just spewing out BS via Jones in defense of their striker inactivity. The latest nugget from our beloved assistant head coach is laughable. We knew we had a problem months ago when Hoskins and CMS were injured. No more excuses from the club, get a wiggle on.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

False economy is the phrase that springs to mind.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
What about young Barker from the development squad, if he's not knocking on the door whats he doing in the DS, he is scoring at the moment. It would be good to see him on the bench tomorrow at least.

I think the fact that Barker and Dickenson can't even make the bench when we have had no strikers there for a while speaks volumes for where they are in terms of their readiness for the Championship.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Does anyone know what the FFP maximum is? Don't get me wrong, im not for one minute saying there is something untoward going on but it really frustrates me that we have had this striker crisis since last season and we had a chance to rectify it in the transfer window and didn't. We have had the chance since the loan window opened and have not acted on it. We could all see from a mile off what would happen if Leo got injured but for some reason the "suits" couldn't. This is no way to act if you want to be in the top 6 at the end of the season. We are now relying on Barnes up front against Forrest, not slagging Barnes as i like the bloke but 1 striker left. Really?

Rant over - And breath.

100% spot on.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Chelsea = mistake. See Lukaku.
Bolton = money AND mistake. Spearing better than Andrews!? No.

You can't dismiss that teams do loan to teams in their own division by just saying "mistake". You can't tell me Chelsea loaned Moses to Liverpool and thought he'd be rubbish. Everyone knows he's a good player.

Some more loans in our own division this year between teams you could argue are rivals

Neil Danns on loan to Bolton from Leicester
Marvin Sordell Bloton to Charlton
Steve Morison Leeds to Millwall

It does happen. I'm not saying it WILL, but to dismiss it as something which has no possibility is incorrect.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
I can't help thinking the "suits" are being incredibly short-sighted. As others have said, the need for at least one more striker was apparent months ago. Now we have just about reached desperation point, but still nothing. Granted the club are guaranteed the income from season ticket sales for this season but after performances like the other night and last Saturday (judging by the comments of those who went to Ipswich) there are going to be a fair few who won't need much persuading not to go to home games, with the resulting loss of potential spending at the ground. And, without some signs of positive activity from the club in the next few weeks, how many will not bother next year?
Or maybe, just maybe, those in charge have some cunning ulterior motive which they don't want to share!!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I'm always mindful that Tony Bloom is a fan and if he has been to some of the recent games(?) will know we are lacking in goals up front if Ulloa doesn't play. I'm confident at some point he will say enough is enough and find sufficient dosh for a loan striker without putting our whole FFP strategy at risk.

I do agree with the suggestion that some of our transfer/wage money has been set aside to offer Bridcutt and Ulloa improved deals come January when other clubs start sniffing around them and/or their agents start whispering in their ears. There would be uproar on here if the Club fails to have a contingency plan for that. I suspect this scenario is even more likely given our publicly stated adherence to FFP and other Clubs thinking we need the money.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm always mindful that Tony Bloom is a fan and if he has been to some of the recent games(?) will know we are lacking in goals up front if Ulloa doesn't play. I'm confident at some point he will say enough is enough and find sufficient dosh for a loan striker without putting our whole FFP strategy at risk.

I do agree with the suggestion that some of our transfer/wage money has been set aside to offer Bridcutt and Ulloa improved deals come January when other clubs start sniffing around them and/or their agents start whispering in their ears. There would be uproar on here if the Club fails to have a contingency plan for that. I suspect this scenario is even more likely given our publicly stated adherence to FFP and other Clubs thinking we need the money.

We all assume it's FFP because it's been trotted out to us so often. Maybe it is and as I said earlier maybe there are huge admin costs that are preventing more going on the playing budget.

Or ... maybe, after forking out £140M or whatever it is, TB is telling those that run the club on a day by day basis to run it like a viable business and he's done subsidising it further.

I not sure I buy all the FFP propaganda, we use it a lot and yet it's hardly ever mentioned elsewhere

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
We all assume it's FFP because it's been trotted out to us so often. Maybe it is and as I said earlier maybe there are huge admin costs that are preventing more going on the playing budget.

Or ... maybe, after forking out £140M or whatever it is, TB is telling those that run the club on a day by day basis to run it like a viable business and he's done subsidising it further.

I not sure I buy all the FFP propaganda, we use it a lot and yet it's hardly ever mentioned elsewhere

Maybe FFP is not mentioned elsewhere eg by other Clubs because they are having difficulty discarding the traditional football mentality which allowed most to run up huge debts and follow all sorts of bizarre employment practices. TB cleared the Withdean era debts and funded the Amex but also stated that he wants the Club to be self financing. We are now reigning in our operating debts, trying to comply with FFP and when it comes to employment matters are dealing with disciplinary issues in a formal and proper way. Unfortunately none of that is particularly sexy for the fans but is the right way forward.

I do agree that in return for his investment Tony Bloom is entitled to expect the Club to be run professionally. Look at the mess it got into from the 1980's onward. He has brought the stability we have craved for years while also creating the foundation for the future. The football since he took over and appointed a better calibre of people has been pretty special too. It is his vision that allowed managers like Gus and Oscar to be appointed and has funded a series of record signings. Blimey last season we had 4 players who had something like 120 (proper) international caps between them (Bridge, Upson, Vicente and PIG).

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I think the fact that Barker and Dickenson can't even make the bench when we have had no strikers there for a while speaks volumes for where they are in terms of their readiness for the Championship.

Its a great point, so how long do they have to wait until they sign for Hastings Utd because they can't make it at the Amex. Solly scores a cracking goal against Norwich, looking like the only player in the second half who would and is rewarded with not a lot. Dickenson looked like lightning in the same game and given that Kemy has been given opportunities at a heavier wage bill I am wondering. Without doubt OGs football is much more exciting than Poyets, but now its time to dig deep and at least start one of the DS players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here