Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Realistically, do you think OG will be given the green light to bring in......

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I must admit I am a little tired about hearing "it needs to be the right player. Someone who brings something different". We have no options at the moment. Any striker would bring something different at the moment as we only have one. We can't wait. Barnes injured / red card on Sat - what then?

Yes! We should have sorted this out many months ago. Since CMS and Hoskins were injured. As I have said over and over again, the lack of activity to bring a striker in is poor management. I got shot down on here when I said this, but now the chickens have come home to roost. I wonder if there are still any on here who think we can continue to muddle through. IF we are serious about challenging for a top 6 spot, then we must act NOW. Stop talking about it, just do it. NOW.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Any quality striker currently scoring goals will either be playing or on the bench and will not be arriving here on loan.

A striker will arrive. The best we can expect is a team player who works hard up front and brings others into the action. Any sort of goal tally from him will be a bonus.

Fryatt is a goal scorer. So is Macheda. Two very recent examples of loanees there. So, it is possible to get in someone who can make a difference.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I adore these sayings, 'Quality Prem Striker' and 'Proven Championship Goalscorer.' Doesn't it occur to people that clubs are probably going to want to hang onto their best players rather than send them out on loan?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not sure we will. He's sidestepped the question in pre/post match interviews recently. Might be a case of wanting to but the suits say No!

Then the 'suits' are fools. Watch the crowds drift, and season ticket sales in the close season too. We need to be challenging near the top of the table to maintain interest from the butterflies, and we won't do so without bringing a striker in to maintain our promotion challenge.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Nottingham Forests strikers

Simon Cox
Matt Derbyshire
Dexter Blackstock
Jamie Paterson
Marcus Tudgay
Ishmael Miller
Jamie Mackie
Darius Henderson

After our fixture I'm sure they'll let us have one if we ask nicely. I suggest Miller. Don't think he plays and he is MASSIVE.

I realise someone will now point out that all the excess strikers are injured or in jail or something....

I think that list explains why Forest will challenge and we won't unless we do something to address our striker problem.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It just shows we can't compete with the likes of Forest and their blatant flouting of the FFP rules. They get smaller crowds than us and don't get parachute payments, yet their budget seems to be massively more than ours.

Time to loosen the purse strings a little.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I know this has already been suggested a number of times before but why don't we look to bring in a Barcelona 5th/6th choice, young, promising striker on loan? With Garcia's obvious connections we should be utilising this at some stage, Shirley! Mates rates.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I must admit I am a little tired about hearing "it needs to be the right player. Someone who brings something different". We have no options at the moment. Any striker would bring something different at the moment as we only have one. We can't wait. Barnes injured / red card on Sat - what then?

Murray on loan?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Aaron McLean?

As for the "flouting of the FFP" at Forest. Surely, they are merely accepting the financial penalty that is inevitably coming their way. It's not that you are prevented from over-spending, it is just that it comes with a fine that gets distributed to those who have played within the regulations.

I would say Forest have weighed it up and decided the financial penalty, on top of the cost of their squad is all still worth it, if it gets them into the Prem.

And they are right, which shows just how weak the implementation of FFP is. Needs setting up properly.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I know this has already been suggested a number of times before but why don't we look to bring in a Barcelona 5th/6th choice, young, promising striker on loan? With Garcia's obvious connections we should be utilising this at some stage, Shirley! Mates rates.

You cant loan in foreign players until January - domestic loans only.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yep, now we can guarantee a loan player a start it will be easier to get a quality one in.

Yes, that helps a lot. When Ulloa was fit, I was hoping they would act to get someone in to play off of him. Now the need has fundamentally changed. The key point is that the club need to sop talking about it, stop making excuses; rather, the time for action (!) is now.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yep, now we can guarantee a loan player a start it will be easier to get a quality one in.

I think that's true.

You are hoping for a quality player, which the parent clubs views as needing some match sharpness. All the time that player is coming in to warm the bench until Ulloa needs a rest, then they don't send them out to us.

Now the situation is that a 3 month loan will see them return with a dozen of more games under their belt and perhaps 7-10 goals. Yep, that gives the parent club a proper incentive to let a fringe player go out and come back looking better.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Not possible until Jan window. Should have dome so over summer, but we got some spin from Oscar about not using his contacts yet.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Ok then... you stump up the cash.

I do. It's called buying a season ticket, merch, food, drinks, etc. etc. You, my friend, need to realize that sometimes you need to invest or pay the price in lower revenues. Still, I'm hopeful the club's board realize this.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Nope is the answer. Barber keeping a strong hold on the purse strings, problem is if they don't get some-one in ASAP next seasons ticket renewals could be dire which then send us in a spiral downwards due to a lack of investment in the striking dept to cover our injuries

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I don't think we can use the excuse of a new player coming in and disturbing the way we play as it doesn't like we've quite wholly decided on that ourselves yet. There should be a large number of players either fallen out of favour or recovering from injury who hopefully the topflight sides want to save even a fraction of their wages on by sending them out for a few months by the coast.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here