[Albion] REALISTIC signings for next season?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
This, we haven't even seen him kick a ball yet!

And remember Biss wasn't a first team regular until the age of 23. Caicedo will be used sparingly for next season and probably the one after.

Moder or White are more likely to be CM if Biss is sold. Both fine young players, but can't do for us what he does

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
There seems to be a feeling / expectation that Bissouma will be on his way, but this will leave the 1st XI woefully short of quality in the middle of the park. If we have to sell to buy then it makes far more sense that player is Ben White or Adam Webster as we have ready cover in Veltman, Clarke and Burn.

The worry right now is if we start next season without that new striker and without Bissouma then we could struggle. We have no other player with the physique, the bite, the legs who is ready to come in and replicate what he does.

Granted they're not the same type of player as Bissouma but we are well stocked at CM; Moder, Propper, Alzate, Caciedo, Molumby are all out and out CM's, whilst Gross and Lallana are more than capable of playing there, whilst White + MacAllister can do a job there.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If he is, as Tim Vickery says, "A special talent that if he were Brazilian would be worth £30-40m" then there's got to be a chance that he will be box-to-boxing next season with Bissouma holding/destroying.

If he's that good then we need to start seeing him now, rather than these completely pointless introductions of Ali J or Davy Propper.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
And remember Biss wasn't a first team regular until the age of 23. Caicedo will be used sparingly for next season and probably the one after.

Moder or White are more likely to be CM if Biss is sold. Both fine young players, but can't do for us what he does

He's got a first team squad number this season - and it's not "78" or some old shit. It's quite iconic.

Had a long chat with a Man U mate at work today (he's actually Mancunian, bless him). They were after him to play the Kante / Makelele role. The chances that he's schlepped over here in a pandemic to play two seasons in our under 23s, when Potter is charged with playing young talent, are, IMO, extremely slim.

Can see us cashing in on Biss in the summer and gradually introducing him over the course of next season. Of our other CMs expect Propper and/or Moloumby to go if we can find a loan / buyer.

There seems to be a feeling / expectation that Bissouma will be on his way, but this will leave the 1st XI woefully short of quality in the middle of the park. If we have to sell to buy then it makes far more sense that player is Ben White or Adam Webster as we have ready cover in Veltman, Clarke and Burn.

The worry right now is if we start next season without that new striker and without Bissouma then we could struggle. We have no other player with the physique, the bite, the legs who is ready to come in and replicate what he does.

I think a few were suggesting that Macca would be Biss' ready made replacement but dont think so now. Moder doing ok so far and would really like to see Karbo given a chance in the last two games (we will be mathematically safe by then :) )

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think a few were suggesting that Macca would be Biss' ready made replacement but dont think so now.

Why on earth would they have said that? Biss breaks the play up. tackles back and fairly much protects the back 4. Ally Mac is an attacking option.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
He's 25. I'll have a wager with anyone on here that he doesn't join us this transfer window. Winnings go to Trussell Trust.

He won’t join us because we won’t be able to afford him and Brentford won’t want to sell him.

25 is young enough to resell after two years of impressing at PL level. We won’t find a 21 year old Aguero.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Granted they're not the same type of player as Bissouma but we are well stocked at CM; Moder, Propper, Alzate, Caciedo, Molumby are all out and out CM's, whilst Gross and Lallana are more than capable of playing there, whilst White + MacAllister can do a job there.

Well stocked we may well be, (provided none of the others move on), but there is only one Yves Bissouma. I don't want players who are just capable of playing in his position, l want players who excel at it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He won’t join us because we won’t be able to afford him and Brentford won’t want to sell him.

25 is young enough to resell after two years of impressing at PL level. We won’t find a 21 year old Aguero.

Quite right, we will neither be able to, or even want to shell out mega bucks for marquee signings in the present climate.

Very few clubs will be spending serious money for players this summer.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I reckon we're going to nab Tammy Abraham, probably after selling a prized asset of our own. Leo Ostigard looks the real deal and with Matt Clarke coming back into the squad as well - I think we'll flog a CB and invest the cash on Abraham. He has everything we're looking for.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I reckon we're going to nab Tammy Abraham, probably after selling a prized asset of our own. Leo Ostigard looks the real deal and with Matt Clarke coming back into the squad as well - I think we'll flog a CB and invest the cash on Abraham. He has everything we're looking for.

He would be perfect I agree, I just think clubs higher up the food chain will be interested and therefore our chances will be slim to none. Hope I'm wrong obvs!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well, I'd love Abraham. Just don't get the fuss about Toney. Sure, he's scoring for fun in the Championship, but plenty of strikers have done so in the past, and haven't exactly been prolific in the PL, in fact Maupay has done better than most (and there's plenty of whingeing about him on here).
Toney is 25 and there's a lot of interest in him, but he'd hardly be a marquee signing. Abraham is far more under the radar currently, but has all the attributes we'd need.

I do think there will be a realignment in transfer fees this summer. This will mean that we'd be able to pick up a forward for a more reasonable fee, but also that any outgoing probably won't attract the price that many on here are imagining.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

If we're going to consider this sell to buy policy, the buying should come before the selling

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Well stocked we may well be, (provided none of the others move on), but there is only one Yves Bissouma. I don't want players who are just capable of playing in his position, l want players who excel at it.

Agree. We shouldn't just substitute quality for numbers (in fact we should be looking to do it the other way round)

Before we do sell any of our top players we should be looking at the league table. We're only just above the drop zone. Had we not had Yves this year, we'd almost certainly be in the drop zone. In a couple of years Caicedo might be doing what Biss does. We can't adequately replace him at present so any sale this summer would represent a considerable risk.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne

Abraham would be great. I think the wages will be a stumbling block for us. Also I think he will have teams in a better position then us after him. West Ham for example need a striker.

I think Toney would be worth a go actually. He has not just scored a few goals he is on target to set a record number of goals in the Championship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports