Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] REALISTIC signings for next season?

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
No shit Sherlock.

I realise that an opinion on here that we won't buy a big name striker is like taking your toddler toys away from you but that's what I reckon will happen seeing as we have six striker options at the moment and have taken to playing a false nine or revolving attacking three. But then I'm brave enough to put my head above the parapet.

Are you expert enough to spend Tony's money for him? If so, who can we expect? Or can we just expect another summer of extreme pant wetting from your two accounts without an actual sensible suggestion?

Prey tell which is Cpl Jones second account
I’m new to this :clap2:
BW2 just to clarify

Last edited:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think we will give Welbeck a new contract and re-integrate Andone, so don't see us signing a senior striker.

A proper left back is the only obvious position on the shopping list. Agree Sessegnon might be worth a look.

Aside from that, we'll probably get a 16 year old midfielder from Togo and another strapping ball playing defender from Norway ... plus a good number for the women's team

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Best signings ?

New contracts for Biss, Lallana, Welbeck, White, Maupay ,Veltman and Trossard (assuming Dunk, Sanchez and Webster are secure).

Offload Ali J plus Connolly on loan and get a striker in.

Dazzler I get where you re coming from but Alan the Llama is on year one of a 3 yr deal and being suitably renumerated
But yes to the rest :thumbsup:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
5 goals in 7 in the Europa League.

That’s it though. And it was in a group so weak that Rangers won it.

Locadia used to score more than 1 in every 3 at a similar level as the Portuguese league, and Jahanbasch had an even better rate.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Toney is the obvious signing for me but much like last year, it'll go down to whether Brentford manage to get over the line (much like Watkins) as to whether Toney is sold. He fits our brief (young, English) and scores all types of goals. He's clearly good enough to make the step up to a club of our stature but if Brentford manage to get over the line this year, no chance of signing any of their players. I think we'll look to sign a striker to relieve the goalscoring pressure on Neal regardless.

If we are going really left field, I'd personally go for the comparatively cheap Arthur Cabral who has scored 31 goals in 55 games for Basel. A Brazil U23 international who reminds me a bit of Tomer Hemed in his link up play but super flair, I think he'd be a great foil for Neal.

He's 25. I'll have a wager with anyone on here that he doesn't join us this transfer window. Winnings go to Trussell Trust.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Your probably right but the club were prepared to spend big on Nunez last summer allegedly.I was thinking more of his style of play.i would be surprised if we make any big signings this year.

As i have stated before,i would rather we get the right player at the right place than get lumbered with another Locadia.

'Right player at the right price' feels very subject to hindsight though. As much as I can imagine that Locadia was a panic buy to some degree, there probably were those at the club who thought he was the right player at the right price. And to be honest, I do actually believe that spending more money generally buys you better players. Yes, I know people are now going to point out expensive mistakes such as Haller or Joelinton, but for every one expensive flop there will be about five middling signings that also contribute next to nothing. People are just more likely to talk about the big flops rather than the little ones. My point here is that people using the 'right player, right price' mantra to justify the club scrimping on a position that we know we've needed to invest in for about four years now is starting to feel a little tired. An improvement in the striker department this summer is an absolute must, no two ways about it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ryan Sessegnon would be perfect for us. Him and Lamptey in the wing back roles is a mouthwatering prospect.

AlbionInUs

Oct 11, 2019
US
I would absolutely love Ivan Toney, but I’m actually not sure he’s realistic. I actually don’t like the comparisons to Neal Maupay just because he’s from Brentford. I’d argue that Toney is a step above Maupay. Toney’s already got more goals and assists in the league this season than Maupay during his last season in the championship. Ivan Toney is also a great over-performer of xG (which seems a big problem with Maupay). Maupay has 28 league goals from 21.40 expected.

I actually think that Divock Origi would be a good singing. He’s a good player with experience in the league known for scoring big goals. He’s still youngish (25), and he too, like Toney, has a habit of over preforming his xG. Last season, he scored 4 in the league with an xG of 1.80. The season before, he had 3 from 1.68, and in his best season, 2016/17, he had 8 from 5.38.

As for left back, maybe Francisco Ortega of Vélez in Argentina who’s contract expires in the summer? Ryan Sessegnon would be nice too, but I doubt he’d come here if he wasn’t starting. To be honest, I think I’m fine with what we’ve got at left back.

Last edited:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
We have loads of young players with potential and value, I think most of the money we'll spend will be on wages maybe ONE older player coming in similar to how Lallana and Welbeck did plus ONE other free transfer signing like that striker from Argentina.

Plenty of contracts ending and players floating around for a club but certainly not an easy market to navigate.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I predict we will make quite a few "one for the future signings".

The club has let us know that's their blueprint for the future so that's what I expect mostly these days when we're buying players.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Batshuyai
Sessegnon
Pacey winger (lookman if Fulham go down)
New deal welbeck one year

Get rid

Ali j, locadia, izquierdo, propper, tau, loan out connolly, loan out zeqiri

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'm not sure we will see a big outlay for a first team player for a while. We will spend on either a talented youngster for the future or grab an experienced player for free. We will probably only have 1 decent outlay per season all the time Potter is here as we continue to buy young and develop players.

If we do make a first team ready purchase then a Striker or Left back will be the most likely outlay but a lot will depend on a Formation. Potter started with a back 5 and has slowly reduced as the number of available defenders has declined, our current back 3 with 4 central midfielders plugging gaps where required has been amazing but I'm not sure it will last long term. It does however navigate the lack of fullbacks and plays into the hands of a manager with plenty of centrebacks

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Patson Daka, striker from Zambia, 22 years old and plays for RB Salzburg.

He has scored 23 goals in 19 games this season.

Replaced Earling Haaland at Salzburg and has been compared to Samuel Etoo and Sadio Mane.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Patson Daka, striker from Zambia, 22 years old and plays for RB Salzburg.

He has scored 23 goals in 19 games this season.

Replaced Earling Haaland at Salzburg and has been compared to Samuel Etoo and Sadio Mane.

Locadia was described as the next Kluivert or was it David Guetta, I forget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here