Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] REALISTIC signings for next season?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That would be completely against the ethos of the academy and the direction the club intend to move and develop. Players need an obvious path through the academy and into the first team with top players being sold to make way for the next wave. A plan to sell a 22-25 year old player for £50m+ each summer would see us improve over time as we see players gaining vital experience and add players to supplement those coming from the academy. If plans to sell Bissouma included needing a replacement then why would Propper have gone as he could've facilitated filling the gap until Moder/Caicedo were ready to make it their own
It's just what Naylor said - that if both Pröpper ( gone ) and Bissouma go then we'll look at bringing in a new midfielder.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think you may be confusing 'differently' with 'hilariously appallingly'

You just keeep believing that. Just because Palace's recruiment policy is radically different from ours, certianly doesn't make it hilariously appalling.

There are certain benefits in signing older, experienced, Premier League players, who are slightly on the wane, on just a solitary year's contract, and then replacing them season on season.

Maybe it could even be said, that the limits to their expectations are far more achievable, namely Premier League survival, whilst ours are perhaps pie in the sky of a top ten finish, or even a European place.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
It's just what Naylor said - that if both Pröpper ( gone ) and Bissouma go then we'll look at bringing in a new midfielder.

Not surprising. between them thats about 200 appearances in all competitions. Without them (I think) Terry Jenks would be the 4th? most experienced CM at the club with 1 and a bit league cup appearances .. and he's out on loan.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not surprising. between them thats about 200 appearances in all competitions. Without them (I think) Terry Jenks would be the 4th? most experienced CM at the club with 1 and a bit league cup appearances .. and he's out on loan.

Gross, Lallana, Alzate, Moder, Molumby, and White played there 5 or 6 games last season, and there's also Macallister.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

I think Naylor is not super informed these days. Seems to be a bit of guesswork there as that’s what a generic club would do. “Well they’re selling Bissouma, so now they’re going to go out and buy a replacement”. Not really what we do.

Admittedly I have lost faith with Naylor as he appears to have next to no info on the Ben White to Arsenal rumour other than copying other journos.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

No surprise.

The likes of Alzate, Moder, Caicedo, Molumby & Baluta are all full internationals with great potential but so was Biss when we bought him, it took him a number of seasons to become a regular in our team, I suspect we’d want an older player who’s pretty much at their peak to hold the centre of midfield whilst a playmaker like Groß or Lallana directs play.

Someone like this little fella:
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/wilmar-barrios/profil/spieler/257668

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No surprise.

The likes of Alzate, Moder, Caicedo, Molumby & Baluta are all full internationals with great potential but so was Biss when we bought him, it took him a number of seasons to become a regular in our team, I suspect we’d want an older player who’s pretty much at their peak to hold the centre of midfield whilst a playmaker like Groß or Lallana directs play.

Or this

https://www.transfermarkt.com/dale-stephens/profil/spieler/49755

Think he would be cheap.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
No surprise.

Benjamin Stambouli had a relegation clause in his contract at Schalke which has been triggered,so just a signing fee.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Selling Yves for 50 million plus and signing Anguissa for half that wouldn't be terrible business.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No surprise.

I forgot that we were linked with him previously.

You never know...

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
No surprise.

Yes, possible, as we have been linked before. He looks the part. Kamara from Rangers is another one.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
This right sided player that has come on for the Swiss is fun.

Last edited:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Explain. What do you mean by being less defeatist and thinking bigger?

How will that help us sign elite strikers banging in 20 a season?

Our stated goal is top 10. To achieve that we have to acquire a top striker. The club need to start thinking bigger or continue to struggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Our stated goal is top 10. To achieve that we have to acquire a top striker. The club need to start thinking bigger or continue to struggle.

I disagree...again. We'll not break the bank to appease the fans, if we stop conceding when on top we'll achieve our goal

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
The club have said that our policy is to buy players and develop them. So they won't buy players at a certain level, because the intention is to sign players below that level but with potential and the aim is to raise them up.

So I don't think it's defeatist to say we won't sign players of a certain calibre, just that it doesn't fit with the way the club want to do things. It's all about being the 5% who do things diffrently.

I think we have proved this works in all positions except one. That position is striker. IMHO we need a rethink

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
If we signed Webster for £20 million I really don't see it being that much of a surprise if we spent 30 plus on a striker.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I disagree...again. We'll not break the bank to appease the fans, if we stop conceding when on top we'll achieve our goal

Look at the stats. Look at every pundits comments, Then stubbornly deny the problem. This is foolish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here