Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] REALISTIC signings for next season?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I doubt it very much, but we need to start being less defeatist and thinking bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The club have said that our policy is to buy players and develop them. So they won't buy players at a certain level, because the intention is to sign players below that level but with potential and the aim is to raise them up.

So I don't think it's defeatist to say we won't sign players of a certain calibre, just that it doesn't fit with the way the club want to do things. It's all about being the 5% who do things diffrently.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The club have said that our policy is to buy players and develop them. So they won't buy players at a certain level, because the intention is to sign players below that level but with potential and the aim is to raise them up.

So I don't think it's defeatist to say we won't sign players of a certain calibre, just that it doesn't fit with the way the club want to do things. It's all about being the 5% who do things diffrently.

Are palace also in that 5% as they certainly seem to be 'doing things differently'?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
The club wont sign anyone who scored 25+ goals in a top 5 league last season. For obvious reasons.

Considering the only others to do so are Lewandowski, Messi, Ronaldo, Haaland and Mbappe you're probably correct.

Looking at the stellar company he is in just goes to show how good this guy is.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
10% now Brentford have joined the party.

Yeah, its disappointing that they got promoted as they'll compete directly for signings. BUT they have scrapped their academy, so they have a slightly different approach to us. I still think that gives us a big advantage over them.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I doubt it very much, but we need to start being less defeatist and thinking bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Explain. What do you mean by being less defeatist and thinking bigger?

How will that help us sign elite strikers banging in 20 a season?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

I think this has been misinterpreted on here.
We will sign older, international players- Veltman, Lallana, and Welbz and I've no doubt we'd sign a player over 25 for top dollar if they fit the profile of a player we need.
You have to have a balance.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We will sign older, international players- Veltman, Lallana, and Welbz and I've no doubt we'd sign a player over 25 for top dollar if they fit the profile of a player we need.

We've clearly identified and succefully signed experience players at a low ebb who we have nurtured back to fitness and who are also a good influence on yoof.

And clearly pass the NDP.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014

I don't think it's misinterpreted, but you are are right I did leave out the part where we will make those signing where there is value for money. I definitely have a tendancy to focus on the development side of things.

But in the context of the original post, someone had said we should stop being defeatist by ruling ourselves out of signing strikers who have scored 25+ goals in a top divsion. Given that those sorts of players are going to cost a lot of money and attract the attention of bigger clubs, I was just saying that it's not being defeatist but those signings are unlikely to fit in with our strategy. Those sorts of players are unlikely to be value for money like Veltman, Lamptey or Wellback.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

I don't think the plan is quite as black and white as that. My understanding is that its more about developing and buying players who can be sold on at a profit thereby allowing us to incrementally increase our budgets to eventually enable us to compete for the best players. The Leicester model rather than the Brentford one which is more about generating profits from sales for their own sake as a business model or was until they got in the PL anyway.

If we sell White and Bissouma it should enable us to both buy some £10-15m type players but also to loosen the wage constraints to attract/retain better players. Age is not the defining factor, although resell is probably very high up the list, so you can have a Lallana type player but not too many and not coming in for a large fee.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I don't think it's misinterpreted, but you are are right I did leave out the part where we will make those signing where there is value for money. I definitely have a tendancy to focus on the development side of things.

But in the context of the original post, someone had said we should stop being defeatist by ruling ourselves out of signing strikers who have scored 25+ goals in a top divsion. Given that those sorts of players are going to cost a lot of money and attract the attention of bigger clubs, I was just saying that it's not being defeatist but those signings are unlikely to fit in with our strategy. Those sorts of players are unlikely to be value for money like Veltman, Lamptey or Wellback.

Exactly, only way we are buying a £25m player is if we think we can sell him on in a few years for £40m

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If Caicedo's injury is bad and Bissouma goes we're looking light in the midfield, I hope we get someone like Davy Propper from PSV.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
If Caicedo's injury is bad and Bissouma goes we're looking light in the midfield, I hope we get someone like Davy Propper from PSV.

It is an interesting question though. Should Bissouma go, would we buy a like-for-like replacement? Or perhaps more of a deep-lying playmaker, someone who would complement Caicedo when he's eventually ready for the first team?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It is an interesting question though. Should Bissouma go, would we buy a like-for-like replacement? Or perhaps more of a deep-lying playmaker, someone who would complement Caicedo when he's eventually ready for the first team?

I thought Biss going was inevitable. I think if White goes, we should 100% be asking £60m+ for Biss and give the lad a new gold plated 5 year deal on Dunk money. With Moises possibly out for next season (worst case scenario) and Pröpper gone, I’d be very worried if Biss left too. I’m not sure the likes of Molumby or Baluta are good enough for the 1st team, they’d certainly not fill Biss’ boots initially.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

If Bissouma go and Caicedo got his ACL ripped off, I dont think its impossible a new midfielder (Maitland-Niles?) would arrive.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Naylor has already said that we'll sign a midfielder if Bissouma goes. That was before any injury to Caicedo.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Naylor has already said that we'll sign a midfielder if Bissouma goes. That was before any injury to Caicedo.

That would be completely against the ethos of the academy and the direction the club intend to move and develop. Players need an obvious path through the academy and into the first team with top players being sold to make way for the next wave. A plan to sell a 22-25 year old player for £50m+ each summer would see us improve over time as we see players gaining vital experience and add players to supplement those coming from the academy. If plans to sell Bissouma included needing a replacement then why would Propper have gone as he could've facilitated filling the gap until Moder/Caicedo were ready to make it their own

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here