Reading and Admin

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Of course we really know nothing about TBs money other than his approach to spending it at the Albion. Broadly he has said "I'll pay for the facilities to ensure the club has a stable base from which to build, but I won't be funding marquee players, that has to broadly come from revenues". On top of that he has dipped into his pocket to help us buy some players and is underwriting the still frightening losses. This plays well with the FFP regulations too - which are mainly there to ensure clubs can build sustainable futures.

That seems to me to be an almost entirely unique approach to football club ownership and one which in the long term should do us very well. I never want to see the club sold to a rich investor purely because they appear to have the money to pay for player that will establish us in the Prem. I'd rather see us perhaps bob up and down for a few years (rather like WBA did) to the point where we have built a squad that can keep us in the Prem. Over perhaps 10-15 years we would become an established fixture in the top tier with little of the risk associated with selling our football souls to a mega-rich but emotionally volatile owner.

Plake

Unregistered User
Nov 7, 2009
Brighton seafront
Yes.

If there's one thing that the Anton Z saga has demonstrated it's that there's no possible way that having a slightly shady owner with zero financial transparency could work out badly for a club.

Oh.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
None of us have any idea really. In the past he's commented on how the Time Rich List doesn't have any idea what people have outside of the country. All we really know is the he's spent over £150m on us (ground, training, recent losses etc), and that he doesn't seem to have a problem with that (ie, he knew how much the ground and training facilities would cost, so it's not like he was only expecting to spend £50m).

Enough to pay off 'Man U's' debt was a quote from direct source who would know. At the time this indicated a minimum of £750m, which ties in with being able to spend £150m AND have no money concerns for life which you would ensure before entering into an outlay that significant

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
If the rumour mill is to be believed I hear that Reading took out quite a substantial loan somepoint last season which is due to be settled in the next couple of weeks (once again only a rumour)

If they took out a loan that needs to be repaid once the season has finished, when they have no revenue coming in, then they really are a bunch of clowns

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
That's what I meant by "ailing". His fortune was all made in old school industries. Still, imagine being down to your last £100 mill eh?

My father in law dropped me to work this morning and had BBC Berkshire on. It was a little over the top but documented where he had lost all the money. One of his companies owes £52million and they aren't sure if that has been paid yet. It certainly looks like he wans to sell ASAP

However, the bit that I found amusing was: 'his finances have a long way to go until they are as comfortable as before'. Comfortable?! I think I am comfortable and my salary is £35,000 I think having £100million left is a tad more than comfortable!

Plake

Unregistered User
Nov 7, 2009
Brighton seafront
Looks like a Thai multi billionaire has bought Reading. Deal brokered by the same chap that brokered the Man City buyout.

Yet to be confirmed 100% but seems likely.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
There's something strange about this. Apparently the prospective owner has agreed to buy the club for 35 million pounds. Yet the previous owner announced in the past few weeks that it was up for sale for 1 pound.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports