Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading and Admin

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The nightmare scenario would be the day coming along when he says he can't take us any further and if we want to push on we need new investment. Hopefully that will never happen as I'd rather scratch around the top 10 in this division than invite foreign money in and take a shot at becoming an established Premier League side yet ending up in Readings current predicament

Agree completely but "Scratching round the top 10 in this division" is something i have waited and hoped for for years :lolol:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Probably the ailing Sir John Madjeski again. If you want more detail the below is absolutely superb. You may also find yourself with even more gratitude to the Blooms once you have read it.

http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com...679088/the-choices-of-readingfc-chairman-john

Interesting article and feeling the sympathy right up until the end...

Reading and Sir John have been well and truly stitched up by Anton Zingarevich – and by the lack of effective rules on club ownership and governance in English football which allow a ludicrous situation like this to come about.

Sir John agreed to go into a 50/50 (nearly) partnership with someone in a deal worth 10's of millions (albeit possibly only until the other half was bought off him) - The duty of Due Diligence rests with HIM not the 'club ownership and governance in English football'.

Yes, it far too easy for some unsavoury characters to buy football clubs, but if you are going into partnership with one of them and it goes tits up then you only have yourself to blame.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes. Lovely sentiment.

Absolute bollox of course.
It's not sentiment, it's based on fact. We're spending less than clubs like Reading, Forest, Leicester, QPR, Cardiff, Blackburn etc. Our owner has also proved that he'd want to be our owner whether we're in League 2 or the Premier League. And unlike Madejski, it's also quite clear that he's not running low on money. And unlike Madejski, he's not in his 70s. And unlike the owners of many other clubs, he grew up in the town and his family have a long standing history of being on the board.

That's all fact. So what actual evidence do you have that we are likely to be in financial difficulty within 5-10 years?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Does Madejski's remaining 100 million include the value of his stake in Reading FC ???

Presumably he wants to remain a very wealthy man, so what is the lowest level he will allow his personal fortune to decrease to before he stops any further funding of Reading FC ???

That will determine when ( or if ) Admin is entered.

Plake

Unregistered User
Nov 7, 2009
Brighton seafront
It's not sentiment, it's based on fact. We're spending less than clubs like Reading, Forest, Leicester, QPR, Cardiff, Blackburn etc. Our owner has also proved that he'd want to be our owner whether we're in League 2 or the Premier League. And unlike Madejski, it's also quite clear that he's not running low on money. And unlike Madejski, he's not in his 70s. And unlike the owners of many other clubs, he grew up in the town and his family have a long standing history of being on the board.

That's all fact. So what actual evidence do you have that we are likely to be in financial difficulty within 5-10 years?

Here's what's going to happen:

Brighton are going to get promoted to the premier league at some point in the next 5-10 years. Maybe even this season ;)

You have an owner that cannot possibly finance a successful premier league club. He is going to either have to accept that it will be impossible for BHA to become an established top flight club or he is going to have to bring in outside investment.

This is when things get irreversibly screwed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You have an owner that cannot possibly finance a successful premier league club.
Firstly, you have no idea how much money he has do you. You also believe that for a small club like ours to become an established top flight club, you need to lose money on an ongoing basis (and I'm not necessarily disagreeing) - that means that we wouldn't want an investor (someone expecting to see a return), we'd want a benefactor. Mr Bloom will be more aware of this than you. So why would he give control of the club to some outsider, when it's very unlikely they would want to lose a load of money on a small club? The reality is, he wouldn't.

If you know anything about BHA (and I'm not sure you do) it's obvious that Mr Bloom hasn't used the club to make money. Which means he's done it because he likes the club and wants it to do well (comparatively). It would make no sense for him to let an outsider take control and jeopardise the club's future.

Brighton are in a much healthier state than most of the clubs fighting for promotion and a lot of the clubs that have achieved it, and your misguided opinion comes from total speculation on what the owner would want to do in the future. There's no way Mr Bloom has come this far to simply hand control to someone else in the next 10 years.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How much does Tony Bloom have?
None of us have any idea really. In the past he's commented on how the Time Rich List doesn't have any idea what people have outside of the country. All we really know is the he's spent over £150m on us (ground, training, recent losses etc), and that he doesn't seem to have a problem with that (ie, he knew how much the ground and training facilities would cost, so it's not like he was only expecting to spend £50m).

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Very sad news indeed. I heard this a few months ago from someone very close to the club. Also told me that Bridge was on just under 40k a week.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I laughed my head off when we beat Reading to the play offs, that goes without saying. Principally that's a bit of Adkins-related schadenfreude.

As a club, I have no real feelings for them other than they've historically been annoying on a couple of occasions. But that's it. It's an uneventful town in an uneventful part of the country that nobody probably hates really. I'm entirely meh about them.

So, unlike Pompey, I don't wish a fiery hell upon them or eternal administration. Just mid table medium-ness, where an uneventful club belongs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here