Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading and Admin

I can't see Madjeski letting them go under

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
It just goes to show how vulnerable all clubs are. All it takes is a sale to a dodgy owner ( Venkys etc) or your current owner running out of cash for things to go downhill very quickly. Reading seem to be unfortunate in that they seem to have got both. It's a shame cos despite their habit of employing absolute numpties as managers they're an alright club.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Perhaps now is the time for Reading to return to their true position or division 3/4.[/QUOTE]

Be careful what you wish for. If you study our history, there are a lot of parallels between us and Reading. Most of the post
war years were spent by both clubs in Div 3 South, followed by brief flirtations with the second tier. Both had tired ageing grounds and a frustrated fanbase waiting to come out of the woodwork. We hit the top tier first but it didn't last long and they eventually got their act together re a new ground. We have been playing catch up and have done so only recently.
As clubs, we are very similar and a benchmark for each other.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
It just goes to show how vulnerable all clubs are. All it takes is a sale to a dodgy owner ( Venkys etc) or your current owner running out of cash for things to go downhill very quickly. Reading seem to be unfortunate in that they seem to have got both. It's a shame cos despite their habit of employing absolute numpties as managers they're an alright club.

The one positive they can take is that Madjeski is still there to prop them out now this Russian bloke has had enough. If he was totally out of the picture they would be completely screwed

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
It is not 20:20 hindsight because when there were stories like this in the papers, I laughed at Reading fans for believing it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...sian-billionaire-owner-Anton-Zingarevich.html

And for every Reading you could find another similar story along the lines of "super rich new foreign owners promise to bring the good times back to .... Blackburn, Sheffield United / Wednesday, Portsmouth, Forest, Watford, Birmingham and of course Dirty Leeds" and the fans giving it large and shouting their mouths off.

If and when Tony Bloom hands over the club, I will hope and pray it goes to someone who knows Brighton and belongs at the Albion.

This is what makes me mildly happy about the story. I live in Reading and had to put up with the gloating daily, no one listened when I told them that he had failed the premier league for and proper persons test as they were too busy gloating.

He only committed to Reading when they were all but promoted as he could have a premier league team but only face the football league checks.

It was always going to fail!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Probably the ailing Sir John Madjeski again. If you want more detail the below is absolutely superb. You may also find yourself with even more gratitude to the Blooms once you have read it.

http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com...679088/the-choices-of-readingfc-chairman-john

That is a very interesting read, but does not mention FFP at all. Prudence (to a certain degree) is being imposed upon them anyway. I hope a level of prudence has been there this year as a transfer embargo is not going to help them at all.

Very sad story about another club in trouble - his story about the only way to make a small fortune with a football club is to start with a large fortune sums everything up for me. With all the riches being pumped into the game by Sky, it really should not be that way.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can't see Madjeski letting them go under

The one positive they can take is that Madjeski is still there to prop them out now this Russian bloke has had enough. If he was totally out of the picture they would be completely screwed

If you read the article though, there's now considerable doubt as to whether Madejski still has the financial clout (never mind the inclination) to continue funding Reading as he did in the past. He's not as rich as he was, and having dropped out of the PL, the club are likely to be lumbered with some pretty high earners which were brought in when the Russian was making various "statements of intent" and marquee signings like Pobgrebneyak, before getting cold feet and scuttling off back to Moscow.

Madejski is still trying to find a buyer. The fact that he jumped into bed with this unknown russian has now proved to be a disastrous decision. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the fact that Madejski made this deal could be indicative that he really did want out and has had enough of Reading FC continuing to drain his wealth, and even more rapidly now in their current situation.

If that artical is anything to go by, it looks pretty bleak. Ulloa really screwed them over the other day.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
If you read the article though, there's now considerable doubt as to whether Madejski still has the financial clout (never mind the inclination) to continue funding Reading as he did in the past. He's not as rich as he was, and having dropped out of the PL, the club are likely to be lumbered with some pretty high earners which were brought in when the Russian was making various "statements of intent" and marquee signings like Pobgrebneyak, before getting cold feet and scuttling off back to Moscow.

Madejski is still trying to find a buyer. The fact that he jumped into bed with this unknown russian has now proved to be a disastrous decision. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the fact that Madejski made this deal could be indicative that he really did want out and has had enough of Reading FC continuing to drain his wealth, and even more rapidly now in their current situation.

I believe the reason he wanted to sell is because he could never afford to bankroll a sustained Premier League team. Top half of the Championship was about as high as they could go with his money and if they were ever going to progress they needed further investment. Which has left them bollocksed now.

It all comes down to how much their expenditure grew under the Russian compared to what it was under Madjeski, and can he cover the additional costs? Some of the players they have signed must be on astronomical wages which is where they have a real problem.

People won't want to admit it, but as somebody already pointed out you could draw parallels with us. Nobody knows how much exactly Tony Bloom is worth and therefore how far we can go with him in the helm. The nightmare scenario would be the day coming along when he says he can't take us any further and if we want to push on we need new investment. Hopefully that will never happen as I'd rather scratch around the top 10 in this division than invite foreign money in and take a shot at becoming an established Premier League side yet ending up in Readings current predicament

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
owfay.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Worse than Cilla ?

Surprise Surprise ! :lolol:

I believe the reason he wanted to sell is because he could never afford to bankroll a sustained Premier League team. Top half of the Championship was about as high as they could go with his money and if they were ever going to progress they needed further investment. Which has left them bollocksed now.

It all comes down to how much their expenditure grew under the Russian compared to what it was under Madjeski, and can he cover the additional costs? Some of the players they have signed must be on astronomical wages which is where they have a real problem.

People won't want to admit it, but as somebody already pointed out you could draw parallels with us. Nobody knows how much exactly Tony Bloom is worth and therefore how far we can go with him in the helm. The nightmare scenario would be the day coming along when he says he can't take us any further and if we want to push on we need new investment. Hopefully that will never happen as I'd rather scratch around the top 10 in this division than invite foreign money in and take a shot at becoming an established Premier League side yet ending up in Readings current predicament

Wise words, couldn't agree more with your last sentence.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Makes me think how lucky we are to have Tony Bloom. If he hadn't taken on our club when he did it is well documented we were n the brown and smelly. What owner would have taken on a club in the lower reaches of league one, with an average crowd of about 6,000, and a lot of them battle scarred fighters who had already seen off one set of asset stripping herberts, with a team playing in an athletic stadium, and no money to build a new home. If he was only in it to sell it on for a profit, I think he would have chosen a different club, so I can't see him getting out any time soon

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
People won't want to admit it, but as somebody already pointed out you could draw parallels with us.
The parallel is that we're well run, and they used to be well run. That's not a parallel I mind.

Nobody knows how much exactly Tony Bloom is worth and therefore how far we can go with him in the helm. The nightmare scenario would be the day coming along when he says he can't take us any further and if we want to push on we need new investment.
At which point we say we'd like to keep going as we are please, and not push on under a new owner.

TBH the difference between Reading and BHA for me is simple. I've been living here for about 25 years or so and for all thta time I have also known BHA fans. I met Attila way back in about 1984/5 when he crashed (along with Swells) at a house I shared in Hayes before I moved to Reading. I've also know Uncle Buck and one or two others for almost as long, haven't I Piers :drink: :drink: ?

In all that time BHA had a massively loyal fan base, a fan base that travelled miles to watch them rather than let them die and backed them through the Withdean all the way to Falmer. And most of those going now, and posting here for that matter, have been here all that time. Of the RFC fans I know I reckon fully half of them started going when they were first promoted to the PL and of those probably 20% stopped atternding when they were relegated. I like BHA because you have built slowly with a fan base that is the envy of most real fans in this country. I don't dislike RFC, but I don't care if they end up back in the old 4th and I have to say I wonder quite how many of the 'fans' I know who go now would keep on going. I doubt it would be that many, after all I probably went to Elm Park to watch Reading more often than most RFC fans.

Plake

Unregistered User
Nov 7, 2009
Brighton seafront
At which point we say we'd like to keep going as we are please, and not push on under a new owner.

At which point this admirable sentiment will have precisely no effect on what happens. Fans are not very important when these sorts of business decisions are made. Plenty of disquiet from the less credulous fans when the gangsters showed up at Reading.

Worrying times for Reading. Brighton will likely be there too, within the next 5-10 years, unless you're lucky.

Good luck in the playoffs by the way, would love to see you get through and ruin QPR's day.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Worrying times for Reading. Brighton will likely be there too, within the next 5-10 years, unless you're lucky.
What a load of nonsense. If you look at the money we're spending and who the owner is (connection to the club, age, wealth) we're a lot less likely to be in that position than many other clubs.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I've never liked Reading. Good luck with the admin thing though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here