Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rather than continue the conservative but genius recruitment model....

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I wonder if Mr Bloom might consider giving substantial salary increases in new contracts with one or two players who "are bound to leave for a bigger club"?

I'm not calling for it, but just wonder.....

Obviously if the current model works again for another season...

But nobody wants us to end up like Stains?

Too soon.....or not?

I'm undecided.
I don't see how it's possible unfortunately. I think we need tye money from those sales. Putting them on massive contracts doesn't suddenly bring equivalent investment or money I'm from other areas unless you can magically get on the CL every year.

I also think it pulls the esprit de corps around too much. Other players want the same, then when the well paid players form dips there's no money for replacements and you end up paying mega money out for underperformed players.

Best keep it as it is and increase our general pay structure in line with any sustained success .

We aren't going to win the league but could be a 'best of the rest' payer. And look for year on year top half of the table success, fighting Europe, and try and win a cup or two. Villareal or Atalanta would be great examples to aspire to. Frankly even thay would be incredibly difficult in the PL.

Don't think blitzing rhw wage structure ever really leads to the promised land.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We'd have to completely rewrite our wage structure if we were to pay enough to persuade Caicedo or MacAlister to stay. The clubs they are likely to go to will pay 3 times as much as us. You can't increase the pay drastically of two individuals without doing similar for others that are in this successful team otherwise you sow the seeds of discontent within the team.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think our business model isn't the static thing which it's being described as.

If we are in Europe, certainly in the Europa League I think we will reject all but the most ridiculous bids (£63m for Cucu would count as ridiculous for example) for our stars.

I think our wage bill will see a significant rise this financial year, as our star players demand more and are rewarded with bigger contracts, but also as we increase the squad for a tilt on 4 fronts.

To me there is a middle ground. Yes we shouldn't be bankrupting the club, but we also have some wiggle room due to recent player and manager sales and I expect us to evolve our strategy to make us less vulnerable to the sort of squad stretch we are currently seeing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You’re right, of course. However, finding gems is the best case scenario of the strategy not the minimum requirement.
Well if the minimum requirement is staying in the league, that's ok. If we're hopeful of challenging for Europe again, we'll need to do something special.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If we doubled our wage budget, we would be competing at the same level wages wise as Crystal Palace, and still not competing with Leicester and West Ham.
According to this anyway. https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...ing-arsenal-newcastle-man-utd-city-liverpool/

The figures they are quoting are from Capology and are utter, utter, utter elephant wank

These are the actual figures from the audited accounts.

1684150941755.png

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I wonder if Mr Bloom might consider giving substantial salary increases in new contracts with one or two players who "are bound to leave for a bigger club"?

I'm not calling for it, but just wonder.....

Obviously if the current model works again for another season...

But nobody wants us to end up like Stains?

Too soon.....or not?

I'm undecided.
the major risk is for every Caicedo or MacAllister, theres always the risk of a Locadia or Ali J.

We sell a known quantity who is performing week in/out and take a data driven gamble on we believe could be a good replacement but is in no way guaranteed.

Weve got more hits than misses, but theres always the risk in one year you get a couple of misses hving sold top players.

I like your idea, but I think the club, based on Amex maximum size, cant sustain the 150-200k pw levels, and if one gets it, others will demand too.

Financial prudence and moneyball got us this far, no reason to question it until it stops working

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think our business model isn't the static thing which it's being described as.

If we are in Europe, certainly in the Europa League I think we will reject all but the most ridiculous bids (£63m for Cucu would count as ridiculous for example) for our stars.

I think our wage bill will see a significant rise this financial year, as our star players demand more and are rewarded with bigger contracts, but also as we increase the squad for a tilt on 4 fronts.

To me there is a middle ground. Yes we shouldn't be bankrupting the club, but we also have some wiggle room due to recent player and manager sales and I expect us to evolve our strategy to make us less vulnerable to the sort of squad stretch we are currently seeing.
After due consideration, yes, this is how I feel about it. Being able to assess the piece and make judicious decisions seems to be a major part of Mr Bloom's skill set. That means modification of the approach according to the situation. :thumbsup:

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
Our model is based upon every potential scenario. Statistically we will get relegated at some point. Very few teams of our stature survive last more than ten years in a Premier league cycle. One thing is for sure we'll have a sustainable plan. Hopefully its Plan Z and kept tucked away in Tony's bottom drawer. Hopefully it's never needed but without regard to it we'll run the risk of losing far more. We are so well run I think we will continue to grow but incrementally and it might take a few bumps along the way

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Our model is based upon every potential scenario. Statistically we will get relegated at some point. Very few teams of our stature survive last more than ten years in a Premier league cycle. One thing is for sure we'll have a sustainable plan. Hopefully its Plan Z and kept tucked away in Tony's bottom drawer. Hopefully it's never needed but without regard to it we'll run the risk of losing far more. We are so well run I think we will continue to grow but incrementally and it might take a few bumps along the way
Palace have done it (somehow!). We've not been in the relegation zone, the whole time we've been up and I wouldn't swap our youth set up and recruitment for any other club in the world.

Personally I think we'll spent the whole next decade in the top division. Not saying it will be like this all the time, but we've future proofed ourselves as much as any club can.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here