Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rather than continue the conservative but genius recruitment model....

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
We could turn out like Leiester or Southampton in a short time frame.
I'm just enjoying the moment, as we cant compete with these super rich clubs in the long term.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Whatever way we go, Tony Bloom knows what he’s doing.

:thumbsup:
This.

You just know he'll have everything in place.

And as usual, there won't be any price tag stated, regardless of what's being quoted in the media.

People can keep talking. And clubs can keep on bidding.

Tony's not blinking anytime soon.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes of course, and although we've replaced well so far, we won't be able to keep finding jems.

Ben White not great today, but he'd still be our first choice right back if we could have kept him.

As a pure RB I prefer Veltman.

I liked White as part of 3 CB’s, White stepping out to start counter attacks.

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
Just started on a bottle of Chianti. Birthday pressy from little bro.

He has no f***ing idea about wine, but, bless him, three different bottles - in a personalized wooden box! (I wonder if that was a subconscious nod to my inevitable cremation? Hmmmmmm ???)

Otherwise, sorry, I never stop posting on NSC, It's sometimes a curse :wink:
Corrected for you :)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yes of course, and although we've replaced well so far, we won't be able to keep finding jems.

Ben White not great today, but he'd still be our first choice right back if we could have kept him.
Like Chailey? :lol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Just a thought, that's all.

As someone clever posted, if we get into Europe, then.... well, we will need a bigger and better squad....but we should be able to source it, being a clever club....but we could think about ensuring we don't lose 3 key players (we may cope with losing 2). That means more spend (salary).

It will be interesting to see what happens.

(no more wins this season will be decisive, of course).

Qualifying for Europa League will probably result in the Albion breaking even financially after taking into account bonuses and squad size increase, unless the club get to the semi final or beyond.

Europa Conference will be loss making (you earn less for qualifying for the competition than you do for finishing one place higher in the Premier League for example) but that‘s not TB’s motivation, the fan in him will enjoy the adventure more than the businessman.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I wonder if Mr Bloom might consider giving substantial salary increases in new contracts with one or two players who "are bound to leave for a bigger club"?

I'm not calling for it, but just wonder.....

Obviously if the current model works again for another season...

But nobody wants us to end up like Stains?

Too soon.....or not?

I'm undecided.
We tried that before it left the club bankrupt

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just a thought, that's all.

As someone clever posted, if we get into Europe, then.... well, we will need a bigger and better squad....but we should be able to source it, being a clever club....but we could think about ensuring we don't lose 3 key players (we may cope with losing 2). That means more spend (salary).

It will be interesting to see what happens.

(no more wins this season will be decisive, of course).
We probably could offer the likes of Mac and Moises a higher salary (in fact with their new contracts we probably have) but even if we did it still wouldn't match doubling or trebling their money elsewhere. Didn't I hear somewhere yesterday that Saka is on £300K a week at Arsenal? - we can never compete with that (and I bloody well hope we don't even try!)

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Qualifying for Europa League will probably result in the Albion breaking even financially after taking into account bonuses and squad size increase, unless the club get to the semi final or beyond.

Europa Conference will be loss making (you earn less for qualifying for the competition than you do for finishing one place higher in the Premier League for example) but that‘s not TB’s motivation, the fan in him will enjoy the adventure more than the businessman.
Definitely…….also ‘worst case’ on the playing front we perhaps lose 2 of our stars I reckon……..and no way we’ll spend anywhere near the £150-£200m that will bring in even with additional recruitment to increase depth and presumably yet more new contracts for those we keep. The financial numbers are very likely to look pretty sound for the next couple of seasons at least (we already know the next set of accounts is going to look healthy).

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
It’s not just about the money though. They are looking to go to clubs that regularly challenge for the league and Champions league etc. Whatever we pay in wages now, we aren’t at the point of being able to offer that (Yet! 😉).

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
It’s not just about the money though. They are looking to go to clubs that regularly challenge for the league and Champions league etc. Whatever we pay in wages now, we aren’t at the point of being able to offer that (Yet! 😉).
Unless you sign for City - the chances of winning anything are slim. Mac/Moises have as much chance of winning with Brighton as with the the rest of the non-city/pep toxic 6/7. What he does not have, and will never have, with Brighton, is the chance to dip his nose in the obscene super league money trough UNLESS financial fair play is rigorously policed and audited.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The wage structure will presumably change a bit if we get into Europe, surely? I'd be banging on the door asking for a pay rise if I were any of our players and we make the Europa League.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The wage structure will presumably change a bit if we get into Europe, surely? I'd be banging on the door asking for a pay rise if I were any of our players and we make the Europa League.
Player wages are a market like any other. If the club think they can replace with an exciting new talent they will happily accept offers for anyone who prices themselves higher. Again, that’s a part of the strategy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here