Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rather than continue the conservative but genius recruitment model....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I wonder if Mr Bloom might consider giving substantial salary increases in new contracts with one or two players who "are bound to leave for a bigger club"?

I'm not calling for it, but just wonder.....

Obviously if the current model works again for another season...

But nobody wants us to end up like Stains?

Too soon.....or not?

I'm undecided.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No way is that happening…imo!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's a thought, but all I would say is 'Leicester City'

Slowly but surely they have gone away from a model not overly dissimilar from ours and this season it could be bad for them.

I say stick to it, however frustrated some may get. Tony thinks about ten years time, not the now. It's the best way.

It's the same with the idea of signing players for £30m-40m (although we have signed one). All it takes is two or three duds on long term contracts with little prospects of return and there are problems.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
'Rather than continue with what got us to here'

Do I really need to say more Harry ? :dunce:
Hopefully it's the drink talking, i'm just about to open a second bottle :ascarf:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Why fix what clearly isn’t broken? The lower leagues are full of teams who tried to do “one more push” and overreached themselves.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's a thought, but all I would say is 'Leicester City'

Slowly but surely they have gone away from a model not overly dissimilar from ours and this season it could be bad for them.

Did Leicester really have a model like ours? They struck gold with a bunch of players all in one season, but when some left, did they get replaced with better players (or even equals)?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Our system has previously included signing the likes of Lallana and Welbeck. We've signed Pedro, there seem to be decent rumours that we're after Milner. Our system has room for quality signings to support the grooming and nurturing of young talent, cheaper talent.

I think performances like this this season under De Zerbi, and potential European football will help us with signing those types of players, and as more clubs start looking in the markets we've been to for Mac Allister, Enciso, Estupinian, Caicedo etc, we will still have an appeal to help us compete for signings.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
'Rather than continue with what got us to here'

Do I really need to say more Harry ? :dunce:
Hopefully it's the drink talking, i'm just about to open a second bottle :ascarf:
Just a thought, that's all.

As someone clever posted, if we get into Europe, then.... well, we will need a bigger and better squad....but we should be able to source it, being a clever club....but we could think about ensuring we don't lose 3 key players (we may cope with losing 2). That means more spend (salary).

It will be interesting to see what happens.

(no more wins this season will be decisive, of course).

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just a thought, that's all.

As someone clever posted, if we get into Europe, then.... well, we will need a bigger and better squad....but we should be able to source it, being a clever club....but we could think about ensuring we don't lose 3 key players (we may cope with losing 2). That means more spend (salary).

It will be interesting to see what happens.

(no more wins this season will be decisive, of course).

Just get pissed with the rest of us H and leave this thinking lark to TB, PBOBE and RDZ. It's worked well so far :wink:

(and I think you're right, finishing this season well may have the biggest effect on retention)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Whatever way we go, Tony Bloom knows what he’s doing.

:thumbsup:
Yes he does and I'm constantly thankful. But if fate is cruel, he could be a bit stuck.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just get pissed with the rest of us H and leave this thinking lark to TB, PBOBE and RDZ. It's worked well so far :wink:

(and I think you're right, finishing this season well may have the biggest effect on retention)
Just started on a bottle of Chianti. Birthday pressy from little bro.

He has no f***ing idea about wine, but, bless him, three different bottles - in a personalized wooden box! (I wonder if that was a subconscious nod to my inevitable cremation? Hmmmmmm ???)

Otherwise, sorry, I never stop thinking. It's sometimes a curse :wink:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Did Leicester really have a model like ours? They struck gold with a bunch of players all in one season, but when some left, did they get replaced with better players (or even equals)?
To be fair, replacing Kante with somebody as good or better would be a challenge for any club.
Yes he does and I'm constantly thankful. But if fate is cruel, he could be a bit stuck.
Who can argue with the will of the Fates?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To be fair, replacing Kante with somebody as good or better would be a challenge for any club.
Yes of course, and although we've replaced well so far, we won't be able to keep finding jems.

Ben White not great today, but he'd still be our first choice right back if we could have kept him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here