Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Racist idiot, abuses Muamba on Twitter. Ruins own life.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Thats my point, no he shouldn't be arrested for shouting in the street, nor typing it on his keyboard.

I might not like him, might find him offensive, but I wouldn't expect him or others to be arrested for it.

What about saying that in a church or mosque? Would you like preachers to be allowed to say anything at all to their congregations?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
What about internet trolls who make a point of upsetting people (that chap from Reading who intentionally hijacked a memorial page on Facebook)?

What about internet bullies who drive people to suicide?

Better for him to be punished through the legal channel as opposed to vigilante type punishment.

RIP trolls appear to have an agenda.

RIP Trolls: Social Critics? Just Sick and Offensive? | Care2 Causes

Not that I would f*** with someone memorial page but it is the same kind of thing as Mumba''s insulters. People emoting to much over someone they dont know, which quickly moves on to cries for censorship. Its a slippery slope to tyranny.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
What about saying that in a church or mosque? Would you like preachers to be allowed to say anything at all to their congregations?

Where have you been, have they not been doing it in some mosques for years now, cannot recall too many arrests of those rogue Imams ?

I am sure we would both agree on an agreed threshold where offence and its consequence becomes a genuine public risk.

However someone typing inappropriate comment on a social networking site is something miles away from my own threshold of action.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I havent read it, nor do I feel compelled to do so.

But just because it might be wholly inappropriate or offensive in yours or my eyes, it doesnt mean that he should be arrested for it.

We have all at some point read, laughed, written, typed or forwarded something that others might find offensive, but thankfully we are still free to do so.

Again you seem to be missing the point of our target. People who set out to troll do it DELIBERATELY TO OFFEND. It has driven people to suicide in some cases:

Google "youtube comments suicide young girl bullying" and you will find countless stories.

We are not talking about people who just "share their views, free country innit?" We're asking what should be done about people who deliberately set out to ruin other people's lives, often targetting people when they are at their lowest (i.e. grieving).

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
A student faces jail after admitting posting offensive comments on Twitter about the on-pitch collapse of footballer Fabrice Muamba.

Liam Stacey was arrested after his tweets were reported to police by Twitter users from across Britain, including former England striker Stan Collymore.

Stacey, 21, spent Sunday night in custody and was brought before magistrates in Swansea on Monday, where he admitted incitement to racial hatred. He was released on bail on condition that he stayed off Twitter and other social networking sites and will be sentenced next week. Stacey was told he could be jailed.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Again you seem to be missing the point of our target. People who set out to troll do it DELIBERATELY TO OFFEND. It has driven people to suicide in some cases:

Google "youtube comments suicide young girl bullying" and you will find countless stories.

We are not talking about people who just "share their views, free country innit?" We're asking what should be done about people who deliberately set out to ruin other people's lives, often targetting people when they are at their lowest (i.e. grieving).

Hey lets ban trolling or whatever it is called, but it would never stop there, it would naturally effect our own reasonable lives.

Its the lad from Wales who is arrested and is in jail, he seems to have caused offence, but I am not sure who's life he has 'ruined'.

I do not know what he posted, but I suspect it was wholly inappropriate.

There is not one word or action that ultimately prompts suicide, its a complex issue and to link a specific action or words to someone taking their own life, then wishing to ban it, is an ideal that cannot work.

It would just make our existence too stifling, thankfully, no matter how tragic, suicide is an unlikely outcome when offence is caused.

There have been plenty of recent cases where UK citizens have been arrested and passed across to the US justice system on the basis of allegations that they have committed a crime against US law, even though they posted whatever it was that upset the US authorities from within the confines of the UK.

How about the UK authorities demanding the arrest and extradition of the American twitterer? He has clearly committed offences against UK law. The fact that he didn't realise that Muamba was an English footballer when he started his disgusting racist abuse makes no difference.

The fact is that it is no defence in a UK court to claim that the US constitution guarantees your right to freedom of expression and that you can therefore spread as much racist filth as you want all over England.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
There have been plenty of recent cases where UK citizens have been arrested and passed across to the US justice system on the basis of allegations that they have committed a crime against US law, even though they posted whatever it was that upset the US authorities from within the confines of the UK.

How about the UK authorities demanding the arrest and extradition of the American twitterer? He has clearly committed offences against UK law. The fact that he didn't realise that Muamba was an English footballer when he started his disgusting racist abuse makes no difference.

The fact is that it is no defence in a UK court to claim that the US constitution guarantees the right to freedom of expression and that you can therefore spread as much racist filth as you want all over England.

I happen to agree with your general point, I think our capitulation to the US authorities is shameful.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hey lets ban trolling or whatever it is called, but it would never stop there, it would naturally effect our own reasonable lives.

Its the lad from Wales who is arrested and is in jail, he seems to have caused offence, but I am not sure who's life he has 'ruined'.

There is not one word or action that ultimately prompts suicide, its a complex issue and to link a specific action or words to someone taking their own life, then wishing to ban it, is an ideal that cannot work.

It would just make our existence too stifling, thankfully, no matter how tragic, suicide is an unlikely outcome when offence is caused.

Fair and valid points. To clarify my position I don't actually know what the answer is, really.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I think the OP was referring to the Welsh man ruining his own life by his Twitter account as his university, rugby club and future employers will know he will have a criminak record just for the sake of 'inappropriate' tweets.
Racial abuse is more than just 'wholly inappropriate'. He was arrested for racial abuse rather than an inappropriate message. If it was abuse about the heart attack, or his medical treatment then it would have been inappropriate, or even classed as sick, but the racial element automatically breaks the law.

What does the Law say?

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Agree re extradition. The ridiculous thing is the 2003 Extradition Treaty doesn't work both ways. UK citizens can be extradited to the US even if their crimes took place wholly in the UK (eg the Nat West Three) but the same doesn't apply in the other direction. If it did, I suspect a request would already have gone in for the Americans to hand over Chet Walken. The only thing we could realistically do is get some radio talk show to invite him over to the UK, then nick him when he spouts his bile (as he's physically on UK soil, our laws not the USA's apply). Worth a try. Perhaps the Bolton equivalent of Albion Roar can invite him over for an interview (pre-record, don't even broadcast it, then hand the recording over to the police)? Although I doubt he has a passport or has ever left Texas, let alone the States.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London

The fact is that it is no defence in a UK court to claim that the US constitution guarantees your right to freedom of expression and that you can therefore spread as much racist filth as you want all over England.

I would LOVE to see this happen.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Neil Jones ‏ [MENTION=17223]Neil[/MENTION]jonesecho
56 days in jail for the Tweeter who made racist Muamba tweets. 'Faceless' abusers are being unmasked. Good.
Retweeted by Oliver Kay

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Bloody hell, 56 days. that's a lesson to anyone who thinks they can get away with posting offensive messages behind their internet wall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here