Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Racism v. Foul Language. Which is Worse?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm not as absolute about this as a lot of you. Cowfolds example isn't great but I'll give you some others :

1. Chanting about Billy Sharps dead baby
2. Wishing cancer on Granit Xhaka's kids
3. Chanting about Lewis Dunk being a rapist.
4. Calling someone a (insert colour, insert expletive here)

We have rightly as a society cut down on 4. Why is 1-3 seemingly tolerated? 2 and 3 have happened this season.

This is not the question that the OP asked. What is Cowfolds example an example of? Most of us think it is an example of a rediculous either/or scenario.

All of your list examples are obviously wrong. But your question is not what is best or acceptable (none of it is) but what is legal. The OP did not ask us whether swearing or racism is illegal, he asked whether one was more acceptable than the other. The answer is 'yes'. The answer to your question (if you have one) is 'no', no, none of these are acceptable. :shrug:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
This is not the question that the OP asked. What is Cowfolds example an example of? Most of us think it is an example of a rediculous either/or scenario.

All of your list examples are obviously wrong. But your question is not what is best or acceptable (none of it is) but what is legal. The OP did not ask us whether swearing or racism is illegal, he asked whether one was more acceptable than the other. The answer is 'yes'. The answer to your question (if you have one) is 'no', no, none of these are acceptable. :shrug:

Absolutely none of these are acceptable.

When Xhaka explained some of the abuse he was getting on Social media, some (not all and probably nowhere near a majority) wanted him moved on. Dunk gets those chants at Palace and it barely receives a murmur on here let alone the wider press. The Billy Sharp chants are the worst of the worst albeit are going back a few years and maybe just maybe things have changed in a highly charged local Derby.

As I say, it is great that we have largely cut out racist abuse but I find it puzzling that we have a blind spot in football to some other aspects of abuse.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I'm bored with people and the media telling me i can't say what i just said because apparently it's now not acceptable or black people now prefer to be called bluds or gay people now prefer to be known as queers , 10 years ago if i had called a gay person queer i'd of been seen as a anti gay blah blah blah , it's all a load of old bollox , (sorry if bollox offends , i don't give a shit frankly ) .

I cant think of a less racist person than me , i sat next to a Asian chap on a bus , (did the word Asian offend anyone ? ) sorry still don't give a toss , he was travelling somewhere , the same as me , i didn't think to ask if he minded me sitting next to him .

If i listen to radio 1 within 20 songs i'll wager a black bloke has used the word ****** over and over in his masterpiece ditty , but god forbid i actually replicate this tune on the bus , Aunty Madge from Hove will be appalled and tell The Argus about it .

I'm fed up with do gooders (in their minds ) lecturing me on what's socially acceptable today .

As for people feeling the need to report people to stewards for swearing at a football match then i have no words for you except 2 , your kids have heard it all before and no doubt seen debbie does dallas on their phones YOU supplied them with , seriously , if you don't like swearing don't go to the bloody football , stick to the ballet ffs .

To be clear i don't the like the word Fingering but i didn't report Micky Flanagan to the fuzz when i heard him say it in front of my 11 year old grandson .

So summing up i'm not a racist and i don't particularly swear a lot but if i reckon i'm more likely to shout Fk off ref than i am to watch a re run of the Black and White minstrels .

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I'm bored with people and the media telling me i can't say what i just said because apparently it's now not acceptable or black people now prefer to be called bluds or gay people now prefer to be known as queers , 10 years ago if i had called a gay person queer i'd of been seen as a anti gay blah blah blah , it's all a load of old bollox , (sorry if bollox offends , i don't give a shit frankly ) .

I cant think of a less racist person than me , i sat next to a Asian chap on a bus , (did the word Asian offend anyone ? ) sorry still don't give a toss , he was travelling somewhere , the same as me , i didn't think to ask if he minded me sitting next to him .

If i listen to radio 1 within 20 songs i'll wager a black bloke has used the word ****** over and over in his masterpiece ditty , but god forbid i actually replicate this tune on the bus , Aunty Madge from Hove will be appalled and tell The Argus about it .

I'm fed up with do gooders (in their minds ) lecturing me on what's socially acceptable today .

As for people feeling the need to report people to stewards for swearing at a football match then i have no words for you except 2 , your kids have heard it all before and no doubt seen debbie does dallas on their phones YOU supplied them with , seriously , if you don't like swearing don't go to the bloody football , stick to the ballet ffs .

To be clear i don't the like the word Fingering but i didn't report Micky Flanagan to the fuzz when i heard him say it in front of my 11 year old grandson .

So summing up i'm not a racist and i don't particularly swear a lot but if i reckon i'm more likely to shout Fk off ref than i am to watch a re run of the Black and White minstrels .

:mad:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Absolutely none of these are acceptable.

When Xhaka explained some of the abuse he was getting on Social media, some (not all and probably nowhere near a majority) wanted him moved on. Dunk gets those chants at Palace and it barely receives a murmur on here let alone the wider press. The Billy Sharp chants are the worst of the worst albeit are going back a few years and maybe just maybe things have changed in a highly charged local Derby.

As I say, it is great that we have largely cut out racist abuse but I find it puzzling that we have a blind spot in football to some other aspects of abuse.

Fair point. I agree. But it does not resonate with the original post where something that is acceptable in context was compared with something that never is.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's a really slow transfer window, isn't it?
I just had a cursory glance the I scrolled to the bottom post

:lolol: I said 'bottom':ohmy:

bottom.gif

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
In what world is a bit of bad language as bad as verbally attacking someone due to the colour of their fecking skin?

Ah, but surely racism isn’t JUST about the colour of someone skin is it?

Does that mean a white person cant be racist towards a white person, I.e. white English to white Scot, Welsh, German, American?

Or is it only racist when it’s obvious my virtue of colour...!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Interesting. Surely it involved more than swearing, though. Some kind of threat, perhaps?

Nope. Don’t forget threat is utterly subjective. As is just about anything. And everyone has prejudices and football fans are extremely prone to judgement eg everyone’s a hooligan, everyone’s drunk...ie GUILTY!

Come on, it’s not even up for debate. Man stands accused of foul and abusive language and assault (hand brushed against steward whilst being forcibly ejected) at a football match following an ‘altercation’ (challenged accusation)...no one is even going to give you the time of day. You’re a HOOLIGAN, DRUNK (you’d had a single pint before KO), must be RACIST (because you’re white, middle aged and the stewards not). Even worse you’re PRIVILEGED! OMG, I can see the automatic club ban and therefore automatic criminal charges and the judge not even bothering to look up from his busy court schedule. Just a £250 fine but, and here’s the rub, a record that’s published all over the media and social...You’ve now been SHAMED and whilst you’re still wondering WTF an email pings in your in-basket at work. It’s a meeting request. From HR (or should I say ‘Talent Release!)...

This is a perfectly possible scenario in the world we currently live in. It’s happened to people I know.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Fair point. I agree. But it does not resonate with the original post where something that is acceptable in context was compared with something that never is.

To answer the exam question, of course Racism is worse. I'd prefer it if we widened the net to the kind of abuse above and cut back on the false accusations - the sacking of our last manager being a prime example which do much more harm than good to genuine accusations.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
This thread needs a bit of comedy. For younger readers unfamiliar with the ouvre, don't open this link with the easily-offended in earshot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYGy-j_oH5Q

Hearing that at about age 12 had a profound effect on me. Proper comedy that.

Anyway, science has already half answered this. I'm sure I read somewhere a couple of years back that studies by proper medical folk proved beyond a slither of doubt that cussing after being hurt acts as analgesia. The point being, there is no medical evidence or opinion that shouting, w**, p***, j** or such like has any analgesic impact. Me, I like to play it safe and get in prophylactic cussing.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

My son reported me to mum for swearing a few years ago. Recall saying FFS you stupid **** at Mr Duffy, having gifted Huddersfield a goal. He had a point, it was a frustrating game and he was only 11, although surrounding language (upper north end of 1901) was very similar

In my honest opinion, I think big Shane, upon reflection, would agree that on that particular occasion he was as described. As I have been myself on numerous occasions. I often say similar when I **** things up.

There's probably someone somewhere who'd get offended if one said 'silly sausage' or 'daft old bugger' or nincompoop.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Swearing is part of the English ****ing language!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Ah, but surely racism isn’t JUST about the colour of someone skin is it?

Does that mean a white person cant be racist towards a white person, I.e. white English to white Scot, Welsh, German, American?

Or is it only racist when it’s obvious my virtue of colour...!

Do you see other white people as of a different race?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here