[Misc] Racism v. Foul Language. Which is Worse?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
if you think swearing is anywhere near on par with racism then you're a stupid ****ing ****

frankly

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
With all the current attempts to cut racism out of sport, aided by the Kick It Out campaign, and with stewards at the Amex and outher football stadia jumping on individuals who show even the slightest racist tendencies, it got me thinking.

To my mind what is just as bad, and far more common, is the use of foul language across the game, now l absolutely abhor the C word, especially when it is used around women and children, but of course absolutely nothing is done to stop or even curb that.

Now l know that many people will say that swearing is just a part of life nowadays, and to an extent that's true, but l think people can go much too far at times, and at it's worst l see it as just as big a problem as racism.

Doubtless some will vilify me for my opinion, but l've got a thick skin!

Racism without a doubt, but I’m with you on the C word. I’ll use it in front of male mates on occasion but never in front of women or children or at the football when shouting something. Maybe I’m just old fashioned

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Simply me stating an opinion . . . not shared my many, obviously!
I've read back your original post and I think you're going to get hammered on this one.

The language you use. It sounds like your brushing off racism but you're offended by the word ****.

stewards at the Amex and outher football stadia jumping on individuals who show even the slightest racist tendencies, it got me thinking.

Are those poor people with even the slightest racist tendencies (not sure what that even means) really being JUMPED ON by the big nasty stewards?

The way I see it, you're perfectly entitled to not like foul language and you can argue all you like for action to be taken against people for it. But why the hell you're comparing it to racism I have no idea.

But by starting a thread like this it seems more like you're annoyed at the heavy-handed punishments handed out by football clubs than the lack of punishment for foul language.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why make this personal? am l not entitled to an opinion?

I think the post needed a smiley, at least I hope it wasn’t personal. On re reading maybe it was :shrug:

In fairness there is a big difference between racism and swearing though

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Accepted by a lot of people yes, but that doesn't make it right in my book.

The mistake you make is conflating two separate things as if making a comparison will lead to enlightenment.

Take racism out of the discussion and focus on swearing. The answer to that issue is context. I never hear the c word and rarely hear the F word (and when I do its usually me) in West Upper. In sections of the north where 99% of folk will be a fairly homogenous demographic (seasoned footy fellah's, away travellers and beer tasters, let's say) a bit of ******* may be tolerable. Maybe. Not for me, but whatever. Context.

Racism, no, nowhere, not ever.

For our next inappropriate "what's worse" comparison, let's discuss gambling addiction versus torrential diarrhoea.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Can't wait for the next poll; "Which would you rather hit you on the head, a coin or an anvil?"

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why make this personal? am l not entitled to an opinion?

Lots of people have replied with swearing - they are being humerous - ironic, like. It really isn't personal. Anyway.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports