Racism at Derby?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
That aggression in football crowds has always been there. ALWAYS. It's the uniquely tribal nature of the sport and it's certainly nothing new. And I reckon that football crowds from the late 60s to the 90s were far more aggressive than nowadays, if anything football has opened up to wider society far more in the last 20 years. I'm not sure how old you are but I would be willing to wager that my children's experience of watching the Albion for the last 10 years is that the crowd are tamer than most of your Albion-watching.

I also don't accept that football invented banter. Wherever and whenever you had entertainment for large groups of people and alcohol you have had banter. The old music halls in Victorian times knew this and it was part and parcel of the experience. Take pantomimes for instance. Hundreds of years old and all built on crowd banter. That's all that football is really, just pantomime writ large. And it could get aggressive. Wasn't it the standard joke about the Glaswegian theatres and old Northern Working Men's Clubs that performers could be humiliated, assaulted or left in tears by hostile crowds? I'm sure the same people that shout abuse at comedians and singers in crowds also wouldn't necessarily say that to their faces.

I think you have largely repeated what I was saying about hooligan mentalities and I agree. I didn't say it was new and I had the misfortune to follow its path throughout the 70's and early 80's in particular.
As for "banta" I understand your analogy but my point is it's modern usage to "get away with" things you can't otherwise say. If you look at the Derby Fans Forum and much of yesterday's Twitter traffic it centres on the idea that football banter is acceptable and challenging it is wrong. I think that is pretty unique to football in its origination although it's spreading society wide through social media which similarly endorses the anonymity of the crowd.

they also arent as representative as society as a whole.

Rugby (both codes)? Cricket?
Pretty representative:shrug:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I think you have largely repeated what I was saying about hooligan mentalities and I agree. I didn't say it was new and I had the misfortune to follow its path throughout the 70's and early 80's in particular.
As for "banta" I understand your analogy but my point is it's modern usage to "get away with" things you can't otherwise say. If you look at the Derby Fans Forum and much of yesterday's Twitter traffic it centres on the idea that football banter is acceptable and challenging it is wrong. I think that is pretty unique to football in its origination although it's spreading society wide through social media which similarly endorses the anonymity of the crowd.

Rugby (both codes)? Cricket?
Pretty representative:shrug:
Not really , both are more upper class than football.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You're better than that Hans. You've edited severnside gull's post which said "Rugby (both codes)? Cricket?
Pretty representative:shrug:"

You've deliberately removed Cricket which is what alf was referring to.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Is the fight on or what?? Or have we got bottlers in our crew?

And I'm having tea; even if it's in a coffee shop cos I'm double hard. But I don't want to fight.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You're better than that Hans. You've edited severnside gull's post which said "Rugby (both codes)? Cricket?
Pretty representative:shrug:"

You've deliberately removed Cricket which is what alf was referring to.

I've edited (shortened) ALL four quoted posts.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
OOOh is this turning in to an arranged punch up!

Takes me back to my CB days.
Marvellous scenes!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Rugby Union as far as playing is concerned may be largely founded in universities in England and Scotland (not elsewhere) but with wider access for some decades and a universal audience it would be hard to describe it as a predominantly middle class spectator sport. Crowds simply behave more socially than football generally. The same is true of cricket
Add to that the implied suggestion that racism/homophobia/hooliganism are somehow limited to the working class if such a thing even exists nowadays is palpably ludicrous!

Last edited:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Rugby Union as far as playing is concerned may be largely founded in universities in England and Scotland (not elsewhere) but with wider access for some decades and a universal audience it would be hard to describe it as a predominantly middle class spectator sport. Crowds simply behave more socially than football generally. The same is true of cricket
Add to that the implied suggestion that racism/homophobia/hooliganism are somehow limited to the working class if such a thing even exists nowadays is palpably ludicrous!
I think it would be very easy indeed to describe it as a predominantly middle class spectator sport.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I have absolutely no problem with crowd songs eg "Does your boyfriend know you're here?" or "We can see you holding hands". It's funny and we have adequate and even more amusing ripostes.

However if a homophobic comment was directed at me, by a member of another club's staff, I'd complain and push it all the way.....and probably beyond.

It's never banter if a homophobic comment is directed at an individual by somebody they don't know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports