Racism at Derby?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
As we're discussing this sort of thing. How would you respond to this:

On arriving at the IPro stadium, my bag was searched and then I was patted down / searched by a steward.

As he finished he said to me "I think you enjoyed that a little too much".

Should I have screamed for a police officer? Is that homophobic (I am a 47 yr old male)?

I didn't - I found it slightly silly and proceeded to go in to enjoy the game.

I would have asked him to clarify what he meant by the comment. If he answered in an acceptable apologetic manner I would have let it go. If not, I would have asked to speak to his supervisor and made an issue of it. I don't think that's being too "precious" but some may disagree.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

On arriving at the IPro stadium, my bag was searched and then I was patted down / searched by a steward.

Should I have screamed for a police officer? Is that homophobic (I am a 47 yr old male)?

Just be thankful he didn't find anything :moo:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The Derby Fans Forum have had to pull one thread which degenerated into a racist/homophobic binfest and the second thread is headed the same way.
In truth I think most football forums would be quite similar (some worse) in the circumstances. We are hardly immune ourselves.
Football seems to attract a disproportionate number of racist and homophobic followers but from observation you would say both are endemic in many societies.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Football seems to attract a disproportionate number of racist and homophobic followers but from observation you would say both are endemic in many societies.

Sorry but I believe that statement to be absolute bollocks. Football fans aren't a disparate group away from society and they certainly do not have homogenous views. Football fans are no more or less likely to be racist than train-spotters, school teachers, left-handed men born in the 70s or any other large random group you care to mention. Football is the number one sport worldwide by a considerable margin with billions of fans from all sections of society so if anything the views of football fans are probably far more representative of society as a whole than most other cross-sections.

I reckon the main differences are that football has a very public scrutiny, it tends to make people excitable and it gives the opportunity for racists to make their views known to a large group of people.

Last edited:

I would blush rearrange my underpants department and shuffled to the back of the queue for another go.:blush:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I would blush rearrange my underpants department and shuffled to the back of the queue for another go.:blush:

Excellent response. Or, go back to the start, stroll up to him ands say "Now it's your turn" flexing my fingers in readiness.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Sorry but I believe that statement to be absolute bollocks. Football fans aren't a disparate group away from society and they certainly do not have homogenous views. Football fans are no more or less likely to be racist than train-spotters, school teachers, left-handed men born in the 70s or any other large random group you care to mention. Football is the number one sport worldwide by a considerable margin with billions of fans from all sections of society so if anything the views of football fans are probably far more representative of society as a whole than most other cross-sections.

I reckon the main differences are that football has a very public scrutiny, it tends to make people excitable and it gives the opportunity for racists to make their views known to a large group of people.

Agree with large parts of that.
But other sports have large crowds and don't need to segregate fans. Other areas in society don't don't permit foul and abusive language and aggression on anything like the scale with few serious repercussions. It was football that invented "banter" which seems too often to be a means of saying anything you wish to hurt someone then say "lol. I didn't mean anything by it". Is that really okay?
Football is a microcosm of society for sure but there is an underlying tension and aggression that seems to attract those with anti social attitudes. Certainly attitudes that differ from those I grew up with but then I guess I'm old and crusty......:lolol:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
But other sports have large crowds and don't need to segregate fans. Other areas in society don't don't permit foul and abusive language and aggression on anything like the scale with few serious repercussions. It was football that invented "banter" which seems too often to be a means of saying anything you wish to hurt someone then say "lol. I didn't mean anything by it". Is that really okay?
Football is a microcosm of society for sure but there is an underlying tension and aggression that seems to attract those with anti social attitudes. Certainly attitudes that differ from those I grew up with but then I guess I'm old and crusty......:lolol:

That aggression in football crowds has always been there. ALWAYS. It's the uniquely tribal nature of the sport and it's certainly nothing new. And I reckon that football crowds from the late 60s to the 90s were far more aggressive than nowadays, if anything football has opened up to wider society far more in the last 20 years. I'm not sure how old you are but I would be willing to wager that my children's experience of watching the Albion for the last 10 years is that the crowd are tamer than most of your Albion-watching.

I also don't accept that football invented banter. Wherever and whenever you had entertainment for large groups of people and alcohol you have had banter. The old music halls in Victorian times knew this and it was part and parcel of the experience. Take pantomimes for instance. Hundreds of years old and all built on crowd banter. That's all that football is really, just pantomime writ large. And it could get aggressive. Wasn't it the standard joke about the Glaswegian theatres and old Northern Working Men's Clubs that performers could be humiliated, assaulted or left in tears by hostile crowds? I'm sure the same people that shout abuse at comedians and singers in crowds also wouldn't necessarily say that to their faces.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
To be honest, you'd probably find that even white, anglo-saxon, heterosexual, protestant males would find more than one person in a random group od 20,000 wanting to abuse them for being one or more of those things!

Agree. I remember the dark days of bananas being thrown and vast swaths of the terraces all chanting racist songs, sometimes at their own team's players. 1 neanderthal who still wants to live in those times does not reflect badly on Derby at all.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Did you have an erection at the time?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

The polite thing would've been to ask if it was good for him as well.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I would have asked him to clarify what he meant by the comment. If he answered in an acceptable apologetic manner I would have let it go. If not, I would have asked to speak to his supervisor and made an issue of it. I don't think that's being too "precious" but some may disagree.
Please tell me you're not actually serious ?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
they also arent as representative as society as a whole.

Agree. I remember the dark days of bananas being thrown and vast swaths of the terraces all chanting racist songs, sometimes at their own team's players. 1 neanderthal who still wants to live in those times does not reflect badly on Derby at all.

Just because only one is still living in those time does not mean only one still wants to live in those times???

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Please tell me you're not actually serious ?

Yes, sure. Why the fvck should he make a comment like that, because Brighton is supposedly the "gay" club? Like I said, if he passes it off as a bit of banter that was misplaced then fair enough, but if he didn't back down I would take it further. Fair enough if you don't agree. Homophobic comments are always homophobic comments aren't they?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Just because only one is still living in those time does not mean only one still wants to live in those times???

Absolutely true. You can't police the thoughts people have, but the fact that most are not longer inclined to share them openly/publicly means we are on the road to finally reaching a generation that no longer has the thoughts in the first place. Not saying we are there, just a lot further down the road than I thought we'd get in my lifetime.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports