Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Racism And The Cumberbatch Conundrum

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
I'm not fishing.

Your point is that all this is very simple and straightforward and everyone should know and understand what is and is not acceptable in modern society. And I don't think it is.

Can you really imagine having a casual conversation including "what's the ethnicity of your ancestors?"

Yes, because i have. On more than one occasion.

I can understand your embarrassment as saying a wordy phrase like that, but you can put your own spin on it - substitute 'where's your family from?'
But seriously, when you say it, people understand you're being respectful, there's no reason for embarrassment and it hasn't caused me any, and that's the only reason i could think that you wouldn't say it...

I'd still like to know which term you got a problem with?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Yes, because i have. On more than one occasion.

I can understand your embarrassment as saying a wordy phrase like that, but you can put your own spin on it - substitute 'where's your family from?'
But seriously, when you say it, people understand you're being respectful, there's no reason for embarrassment and it hasn't caused me any, and that's the only reason i could think that you wouldn't say it...

I'd still like to know which term you got a problem with?

I genuinely think you are missing the point. Some people could easily misinterpret any discussion about race to the point where no one can say anything.

As I said before - I simply don't know what term I have a problem with. If I did, I wouldn't use it.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
I genuinely think you are missing the point. Some people could easily misinterpret any discussion about race to the point where no one can say anything.

Well as i said, i have asked, so obviously some people can.

I think perhaps you're worried about nothing, have you encountered this 'Ali G' type of situation? I don't disagree that the situations not impossible - but in a casual conversation?

(Hope my editing hasn't ruined the thread of this convo.)

Last edited:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
He won't say things directly, he's snidey like that.

I have explained a couple of times my views on this, look back at my posts. As for "snidey" is it not you that have thrown insults about my family, my upbringing, my mental health, not just once either. You don't know me, attack my views/posts, leave out the insults.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
insults about my family, my upbringing, my mental health, not just once either.

They weren't insults they were meant literally.

I honestly believe that trying to stir up anti-muslim feeling in the wake of CH is the actions of someone who has issues. The offer is still there.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's weird how a lot of people play the man rather than the ball on this forum, anyhow you have made some incorrect assumptions about me, but what or who i am is irrelevant to this particular discussion.

They weren't insults they were meant literally.

I honestly believe that trying to stir up anti-muslim feeling in the wake of CH is the actions of someone who has issues. The offer is still there.

This claim of wondering after his mental health is just a snide way of insulting Soulman without the mea culpa. You're fooling no-one, you're still playing the man and not the ball and with the all so important protection that the internet gives you of anonymity.

http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/weirdwebculture/f/what-is-an-internet-troll.htm

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
You're fooling no-one, you're still playing the man and not the ball and with the all so important protection that the internet gives you of anonymity.

http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/weirdwebculture/f/what-is-an-internet-troll.htm

The vast majority of my posts are about the discussion - whatever that is, you have made now about a dozen posts to me, pretty much all focussed on what sort of person i am.

My sincere apologies for upsetting you, but you must see that the fact is you're being slightly hypocritical in this.

As for the hand wringing of getting offended on behalf of someone else. Well i respect you for that, but it does kind of prove that some of the stuff you've posted in the past is complete BS though.

Every time i press a button i hear a buzzer go off...

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013

I just read this.
I must admit it could be interpreted that i am guilty of one of those 4 ways a troll works.
It would seem to me that you could be accused of all four though. Bit damning on you isn't it? Oh wait i forgot everything you do is ok, and everything i do is bad... right... gotcha.

Anyway you seem to be taking your grudge against me a little far just because you were made to look a little silly in the CH debate.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I just read this.
I must admit it could be interpreted that i am guilty of one of those 4 ways a troll works.
It would seem to me that you could be accused of all four though. Bit damning on you isn't it? Oh wait i forgot everything you do is ok, and everything i do is bad... right... gotcha.

Anyway you seem to be taking your grudge against me a little far just because you were made to look a little silly in the CH debate.

Just wondered, seeing as you have mentioned a few times tonight the CH thread, presumably not the Chris Hughton one, whether you realise that this is the Racism And The Cumberbatch Conundrum thread. You so much remind me of another poster that keeps dragging up things from previous threads.
If you have mistakenly posted on the wrong thread then fair enough.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The vast majority of my posts are about the discussion - whatever that is, you have made now about a dozen posts to me, pretty much all focussed on what sort of person i am.

My sincere apologies for upsetting you, but you must see that the fact is you're being slightly hypocritical in this.

As for the hand wringing of getting offended on behalf of someone else. Well i respect you for that, but it does kind of prove that some of the stuff you've posted in the past is complete BS though.

Every time i press a button i hear a buzzer go off...

I'm not upset, I'm certainly not hand-wringing and you've posted umpteen times today in this thread and it's my first post on here since Saturday night.

Before you start accusing others of being rattled or obsessed just bear in mind this is the second reply you've made in 5 minutes to that single reply to you.

I don't like your passive-aggressive nature and I don't much care for the casual way you chuck around the mental illness insults but most of all you ruin a perfectly good thread.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
I'm not upset, I'm certainly not hand-wringing and you've posted umpteen times today in this thread and it's my first post on here since Saturday night.

Well my posts have been about the debate until you showed up, so.....i think the facts point to you being the one derailing the thread.

I really am flattered that i managed to upset you enough to warrant this attention. You're obviously upset that you were made to look a little foolish in the wake of the charlie hebdo massacre.
As your posts show you're a bit immature in the way you earnestly care what people think of you. For example telling me how many kids you have, as if that matters in a debate about sociology...
Also you have the appearance of not being the brightest bulb in the box, in your posts against me, you have told me what sort of person you judge me to be. It doesn't take einstein to work out that someone who calls themselves 'ThePompousPaladin' doesn't care what people think about them.

Shock, horror, you assume that everyone thinks the way you do, and have attributed me being insulting when i was being literal. I'll admit to one flippant insult, but the rest i was serious, the fact you can't comprehend someone offering to help a stranger who clearly has issues must be completely alien to you.

Lets add in the hypocrisy now shall we? You have accused me of bullying, when in all appearance that is what you have jumped on this thread to do, i can't see any recent posts of yours about this subject area. Which shows trollish behaviour according to that link you sent me.

'click'

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I just read this.

3rd reply to my initial response...and what is it with you and this persistent and ludicrous claim of making others look silly? Very strange, very needy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here