Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quitting Smoking Thread

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I've done 8.5 years now and did it by just going cold turkey, no patches etc. You just have to look at it one day at a time. If you get through day 1 then you can get through day 2. Each day is a new day with a challenge that you know you can beat because you did it the day before. All of a sudden you're talking in weeks rather than days, then months, then years. I don't think you've truly done it until you've done 2 years. I still wanted one after 2 years, but nothing like as badly, and the cravings only lasted a few seconds. It does get easier, persevere with it, it's so worth it in the end.

E cigs are great for stopping you doing so much harm to yourself, but all they do is switch the addition. You're still going to have to tackle it at some point if you're going to do it.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Having the odd one simply doesn't work. Once the nicotine is in the system it remains there for approx 3 weeks. For the duration of those 3 weeks you will get the pangs of needing a smoke. So if you went two weeks without having a smoke you'd only be a week away from freeing yourself of the physical addiction. A crafty fag here or there would just set you back to square one again.
I don't even recommend the e-cigs. A majority of people that use those end up using them more and more heavily until they don't do the job anymore and they go back onto ciggies.

The best way to do it is to completely kick nicotine. Easier said than done mind. Good luck and stay strong :)

I think it is possible to smoke like that, but not until you've gone a few years without any. You need to kick the addiction first. Plus once you've done a few years without any you're not going to want to do that anyway.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I'll be 2 years off them in July. Could still murder one sometimes, but I'm not going to give in. Oh, and Congratulations:)

Thanks, and congratulations yourself! Did you use anything or just go cold turkey? It's the smell of a cigarette on a sunny day that I'm going to suffer with..

Smoked my last cig on 5th January for the same reason as you. First born due in a month. I used patches. Good luck to you.

Nice one, hope all goes well!

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Thanks, and congratulations yourself! Did you use anything or just go cold turkey? It's the smell of a cigarette on a sunny day that I'm going to suffer with..

Nice one, hope all goes well!

Thanks mate.. Now almost 4 months, as far as the smell of a cig on a summer day goes, you will be surprised how quickly they don't smell so good! .. The cravings get fewer and fewer.. Good luck, you can do it, you wont have a better reason.. Until I stopped I had been smoking for over 25 years and over 20 years a pack a day!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
157 days and 14 hours without a ciggie.

I,m hardly missing them now and I am confident that I won't have one today.

I will decide tomorrow if I want one.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Following some lung issues at the beginning of the year, I gave up normal cigs, and using elec disposable type e-cigs...a puff on that now and again seems to fulfill any needs...

Given up tobacco in joint thanks to Snoop dog Vapouriser, which looks just like an E-Cig...

Dont feel any better for it yet though...guess it will be quite a while still...but , Ive have taken initial steps to be tobacco free

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Following some lung issues at the beginning of the year, I gave up normal cigs, and using elec disposable type e-cigs...a puff on that now and again seems to fulfill any needs...

Given up tobacco in joint thanks to Snoop dog Vapouriser, which looks just like an E-Cig...

Dont feel any better for it yet though...guess it will be quite a while still...but , Ive have taken initial steps to be tobacco free

Is the Snoop vape any good? I saw it a few weeks back online and thought about getting involved but wasn't sure whether it'd be worth the price. Better/comparable to a standard j with tobacco?

I'm drinking a shitload of green tea at the moment to replace my coffee, so I feel really good from that but I'm hoping my brain will be tricked into believing that I feel better due to not smoking. It's worth a go I suppose!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I charged it up sunday night, and used it last night...pretty decent i thought.....no mess...no need for cigs, or papers now...nice clean taste...plus i was pretty stoned by the end of the evening ;-)

and, the fact that it looks like an E-Cig means it wont attract attention, so im all for that..!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I charged it up sunday night, and used it last night...pretty decent i thought.....no mess...no need for cigs, or papers now...nice clean taste...plus i was pretty stoned by the end of the evening ;-)

and, the fact that it looks like an E-Cig means it wont attract attention, so im all for that..!

I saw it for $99.99 but after a quick search seems you can get it for £30 so I may well take a punt on this! Cheers :thumbsup:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I paid full whack in RedEye.....was about 59 quid..
Somebody told me yesterday they saw for around 30 as well...so you could be in luck..

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Cold turkey for me - after 40+ years smoking:)

And I still follow that person on a sunny day.....or a dismal day.......or any ruddy day:) I still love the smell but I'm hoping that will go at some point!

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Have switched to a vaporizer a week ago, haven't had a cigarette since 7pm last Sunday so exactly a week. Wanted to see if I could go a week before posting on here. Feel really pleased with myself!!!

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Have switched to a vaporizer a week ago, haven't had a cigarette since 7pm last Sunday so exactly a week. Wanted to see if I could go a week before posting on here. Feel really pleased with myself!!!

Well done:) It will be 2 years for me next week. It's not always easy but it's worth sticking at it. Had any beers yet? That's when it gets tough!!

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

16 months now for me. I expect i'll get some smartarse say i should have kicked the vaporizer but i enjoy a vape.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Gave up about 13 years ago now, did it at first with the patches but got really bad nightmares,so when the craving got too bad ,I would think if i still want one in 20 minutes, I'll have one, but i found i would forget it or the cravings would go. Occasionally still fancy one now, but as my old man used to say that once you have smoked you can never be a non- smoker, just a smoker who doesnt smoke anymore

Good luck to everyone giving up at the moment, it does get better

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Snap! (ish). I quit the tobacco 5 weeks ago. I am using the vape thing, but down to 6mg liquid already. Will switch to zero nicotine when I'm ready and do that for a month or so before putting it all away. Cough has entirely gone!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Seems to me a lot of horrorish stories on here about still craving cigs ages later.

I jacked it in about 20 months ago after 30 years. I went on nicorrete pills under the tongue for a week then nothing. The habit of wanting to hold something went straight away, the desire went after a few days and the cravings which were all low level became further apart, every other day, then 4 days, then once a week. I cant remember when I last had one.

I dont desire a cig now or have any interest. The only negative was i put on a load of weight over the first 6 months which I have now lost. I do hear horror stories of people thinking about having a smoke years after giving up but there are easy wins as well.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I gave up 9 years ago after smoking for 32 years by going cold turkey when i had a horrendous cold, bit i do think anything that helps (patches, vapour etc etc) has to be better than smoking.

I managed to give up once before for a couple of years but started again by having an occasional cigar in a pub, then a cigar each time i had a drink etc etc. I do think that i am only ever one away from being a smoker again and I still very occasionally think i would like a cigarette (maybe once every 1-2 months), but the thought only lasts a few seconds.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Seems to me a lot of horrorish stories on here about still craving cigs ages later.

I jacked it in about 20 months ago after 30 years. I went on nicorrete pills under the tongue for a week then nothing. The habit of wanting to hold something went straight away, the desire went after a few days and the cravings which were all low level became further apart, every other day, then 4 days, then once a week. I cant remember when I last had one.

I dont desire a cig now or have any interest. The only negative was i put on a load of weight over the first 6 months which I have now lost. I do hear horror stories of people thinking about having a smoke years after giving up but there are easy wins as well.

I gave up some time ago and found the Allen Carr book very helpful, I too did the "odd cigar " trick for many months to the extent that I was spending more on cigars than baccy ! The best form of retaining control if you ever have a sudden urge for a fag is to wait 10 minutes and ask yourself if you still want a fag. I had this problem a few times but now I know I will never want another one. If only I could have done that 30 years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here