Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question Time this week with Joey Barton

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
I don't actually have a problem with them inviting a variety of guests on to QT. Politicians bore the life out of many of us at times, and a great many of them seem to be disappearing up their own arses, so it's fine by me to offer some different viewpoints.

On that basis, there's no reason why Barton shouldn't have been invited. I missed the comment at the start, which perhaps came as a result of nerves (I certainly saw his apology after being admonished by the woman in the audience). I thought he came across as clueless on Heathrow, but he made the odd valid point on other issues raised. I'm sure there have been worse guests- where he didn't know the answer to something, he just admitted it rather than waffling along and trying to bluff his way round it or dodging the question in the way many politicians do.

Presumably the point of people like him being on is to try and engage a broader audience in political debate. Can't see that being a bad thing.

Is that the first time ever that the word 'admonished' has been used on NSC?!! I like it! 😀

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I thought it was a great analogy, bloody broads getting upset all the time!

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
I like Joey Barton, sorry.

Anyone who attempts to educate themselves (irrespective of the results) is fine by me.

I thought his sexist exchange with UKIP was brilliant. That's exactly the base man on the street attitude they try to attack and he has accidently just thrown it back it them.

UKIP accuse Joey Barton of being sexist. Ha ha ha.

I agree.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
UKIP everyones favourite punch bag. The way people are going you could be fooled in to thinking that UKIP are the cause of all our problems.

Not really. They're as vacuous as any other political party. It's laughable that people think it's a protest vote when voting for a different group of idiots than the usual group of idiots.

They're just easier targets as they say such stupid things all the time.

D

Deleted member 22389

I like Joey Barton, sorry.

Anyone who attempts to educate themselves (irrespective of the results) is fine by me.

I thought his sexist exchange with UKIP was brilliant. That's exactly the base man on the street attitude they try to attack and he has accidently just thrown it back it them.

UKIP accuse Joey Barton of being sexist. Ha ha ha.

If that women was from another party, would they have got the same response from you, or is it only UKIP who are supposed to sexist?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just extending Barton's unfortunate analogy...if you were in a nightclub with the four ugly birds, would you still go home with one of them anyway after a few beers or 'spoil your ballot paper' by heading home alone?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I love the way the Daily mail are up in arms about this and yet on the same page as this news story, I can see the following :-

- Jessica Wright sends temperatures soaring in skimpy bikini pictures
- 20 of the hottest World Cup WAGS
- Mariah Carey shows off eye-popping cleavage

Brilliant!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Stange this outrage about Barton's " football changing room " remarks on here when there was a thread this week about a girl going to Magaluf and how she would be battered sexually by every single man in Town. Double standards.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The UKIP rep absolutely shone and wiped the floor with everyone else, it was like a party political broadcast for UKIP. The Labour woman had an absolute car crash.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Joey Barton made exactly the remark everyone on the BBC had hoped he would do. Dimbleby must have been punching the air in his mind. Now he and the BBC, scream, " oooh it's an outrage ! "

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Stange this outrage about Barton's " football changing room " remarks on here when there was a thread this week about a girl going to Magaluf and how she would be battered sexually by every single man in Town. Double standards.

Not so much double standards as knowing your target audience and tempering your remarks accordingly. This is a knockabout football forum with lots of in-jokes, industrial language and risque humour. Question Time is prime time telly and supposed to be serious stuff.

Joey Barton portrays himself as a bit of an intellectual and had his chance to blow away the cliched preconceptions most people have of footballers. Even if he isn't the most fluent of speakers it's a pretty stupid thing to do to make analogies about ugly and fat birds on the UK's premier political panel show. I'm surprised he tried to play it with those analogies. You can bet that he had already worked them through in his mind and so showed very poor judgement. Strange how it works out sometimes. I remember Jarvis Cocker made a right hash of QT too.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
The UKIP rep absolutely shone and wiped the floor with everyone else, it was like a party political broadcast for UKIP. The Labour woman had an absolute car crash.

You think? The exchange with Piers Morgan and the doctor in the audience regarding UKIP's other policies was hardly positive was it? They can't really claim to be anything other than a pressure group until they tell us what their policies are on everything except the EU and immigration can they. I can't see how anyone can decide to be a member of UKIP if they don't know what they stand for (other than leaving the EU.)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Not so much double standards as knowing your target audience and tempering your remarks accordingly. This is a knockabout football forum with lots of in-jokes, industrial language and risque humour. Question Time is prime time telly and supposed to be serious stuff.

Joey Barton portrays himself as a bit of an intellectual and had his chance to blow away the cliched preconceptions most people have of footballers. Even if he isn't the most fluent of speakers it's a pretty stupid thing to do to make analogies about ugly and fat birds on the UK's premier political panel show. I'm surprised he tried to play it with those analogies. You can bet that he had already worked them through in his mind and so showed very poor judgement. Strange how it works out sometimes. I remember Jarvis Cocker made a right hash of QT too.

A schoolboy error I agree.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
You can bet that he had already worked them through in his mind and so showed very poor judgement.

It didn't come over like that. I was more surprised at how under-rehearsed he seemed.

Strange how it works out sometimes. I remember Jarvis Cocker made a right hash of QT too.

It is a high-pressure situation. Even professional politicians and speakers can make a hash of it. I am going to see Any Answers (radio version) being broadcast this evening (in Steyning). It should be interesting.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Joey Barton made exactly the remark everyone on the BBC had hoped he would do. Dimbleby must have been punching the air in his mind. Now he and the BBC, scream, " oooh it's an outrage ! "

I think you've correctly identified the real issue.

It might be easy for a few people to howl about Barton, or this, that and the other guest and what they said and accuse the BBC of dumbing down their flagship political debating programme.

But what REALLY matters to the producers beyond fielding a bit of flak? Ratings, I'm guessing. Everyone is talking about it, I'm guessing the viewing figures were good. They're probably opening the champagne as we speak.

I don't think that's right, and the BBC should be a lot more than that, but I suspect it's the reality.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
contary to what people are saying here , I think Barton will be pleased as punch with his performance. Some half decent opinons put forward and a joke that has raised his profile even further. Win win for him.

Not really the place for analogys like that but pretty amusing all the same

D

Deleted member 22389

You think? The exchange with Piers Morgan and the doctor in the audience regarding UKIP's other policies was hardly positive was it? They can't really claim to be anything other than a pressure group until they tell us what their policies are on everything except the EU and immigration can they. I can't see how anyone can decide to be a member of UKIP if they don't know what they stand for (other than leaving the EU.)

Same when I supported Labour, didn't know what they stood for in the end, and I still don't know now.
Better off for me voting UKIP, and will keep voting UKIP. At least they are clear on immigration and the EU which is something that bothers me. All Labour do now is pussy foot around the subject with their one nation bollox.

Was expecting after their dismal display they would at least come out with something to help win UKIP voters back like me, at the moment nothing.
Labour will never change, and Labour will change nothing. All they are good at is telling everyone else what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here