Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

QUESTION for REMF Organizing Committee and anyone who is attending Friday

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
He was involved in the first one, they raised thousands.

Are you saying that £65 raised per player is acceptable? Because you're looking forward to playing?

I think what people are trying to say is, therein lies the problem.

I know when I played a couple of times, I found it incredibly difficult to get sponsorship as you tend to get the same people being asked. There also was the issue that what happened all those years ago has faded in teh memory and certainly I had some kickbacks when the Iraq war was going on.

Personally I do not envy people trying to get sponsorship, but you are right in a way that this year the REMF Marathon runners raised somewhere around £7k.

Whatever the fund raises, the most important thing is that money is distributed well and fairly and it certainly has been done so...Tony presented the Mini Bus that I am sure most of you have seen for teh Brighton Special Seagulls and there has been many donations from the fund to local clubs around brighton and croydon which can all be seen on teh REMF page .

The volunteers that run the fund, and that is what they are, all do it for the love of this club, not for personal gain or kudos, because with the amount of hassle they get you can see why so may have walked away from the original comittee.

Tonight will be a great night....if you come along, you will see some ex pro's playing alongside supporters from both teams...you will get to stand shoulder to shoulder at the bar with the greatest legend Brighton has ever had, you will see a chap in his 60's coming all the way down from edingburgh to play in this game ( Ricky Marlowe) who has shown unswerving support for this charity and finally you will get to meet supporters of both sides in an atmosphere that is not hostile but people there wanting to show support for the fund. Please buy the raffle tickets, bid on the raffle prizes that people have been so generous in donating ...(dont bid on the Teddy Bear as I want it!!!!) and above all, please enjoy the evening and don't heckle the PA

Have a great time tonight!!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Great. When "one day" comes, come back here and tell everyone how it's done.

Dont worry. You will be first to know. I fact you can have bib number 1 :smile:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
How much have you donated, out of interest?

Nothing. I donate to some other charities that I think are better causes. If I knew someone who was playing or running the marathon for the REMF, then I would of course sponsor them. And before anyone flys off the handle, that's not a dig at anyone involved in the REMF.

I'm not quite sure how the amount I've donated has anything to do with anything anyway. I'm not saying people haven't donated enough, I'm saying the players haven't done enough to get people to sponsor them. Do you honestly think that less than 65 quid each to play football in a stadium against Palace with Peter Ward is a sterling effort?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Nothing. I donate to some other charities that I think are better causes. If I knew someone who was playing or running the marathon for the REMF, then I would of course sponsor them. And before anyone flys off the handle, that's not a dig at anyone involved in the REMF.

I'm not quite sure how the amount I've donated has anything to do with anything anyway. I'm not saying people haven't donated enough, I'm saying the players haven't done enough to get people to sponsor them. Do you honestly think that less than 65 quid each to play football in a stadium against Palace with Peter Ward is a sterling effort?

When it's case of something being done in people's spare time, and this being about the 11th(?) time this game has happened, I think every little helps. If other people can raise more, DO IT.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I know when I played a couple of times, I found it incredibly difficult to get sponsorship as you tend to get the same people being asked.

I totally understand, and I think that is the point people are trying to make.

I hope it all goes well tonight, good luck with it all.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'll contribute, briefly, as someone who via NSC has almost certainly contributed more to the REMF than anyone else - such as nearly £1500 this very month via the Brighton Marathon.

It's a charity born out of NSC itself and, as such, is dear to many.

As things stand, NSC will not be contributing a single penny towards the football match. I repeat again, mainly for Gareth's benefit, I'm not knocking the charity, you or any of the other small group who push the REMF forward tirelessly.

My issue is what seems to be an on-going complete lack of transparency about who gets to pull on the sacred blue and white stripes today. Most of us never get to represent Brighton & Hove Albion in any way, shape or form. To be able to do so alongside Peter Ward would be a dream for nearly every Albion fan.

My perception is that the team is a bit of an old boys club. It's mates and it's mates of mates. My perception may be wrong, but that's why perceptions need to be managed. You want people on your side and believing in your cause.

Wearing the stripes is a massive, massive privilege. If I were one of the lucky few, I'd be absolutely working my bollocks off to justify my spot. I'd be baking cakes and selling them at work, I'd be washing people's cars, I'd be doing anything I could to raise money for the charity as that's what this is all about. Playing football is but a by-product.

Has that been happening by those playing tonight? I have not seen anything to indicate it has and the small sums of money raised do not indicate a lot has been going on. Again, my perceptions may be wrong. Manage them please and get me and any other naysayers onside. It shouldn't be difficult to do.

With this single post, I'm out of this. Good luck to everyone tonight - raise lots of money and smash Palace. In that order.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
People need to CHILL.

The REMF has continued to grow every year. It has now raised £125,000 for good causes and junior football clubs.

It is run by about four people. But each and every year it has kept up its momentum. Kept raising cash.

Last year it donated a £30,000 min bus to Albion in the Community. THIRTY THOUSANDS POUNDS. I doubt anyone in the early days of the charity would have thought it possible that ten years on the fund could make such a massive gesture.

Could things be done differently? Probably. But is this REALLY a reason to criticise the few people who consistently give up their spare time to help make the charity the wonderful success it has been and continues to be? No. Of course it isn't.

A few years ago the players just paid a £20 match fee and got a match sponsor. As the profile and success of the charity has grown, things HAVE changed. Players are now encouraged to collect more sponsors and, as a result, the squad's share of the fundraising has increased. It used to be predominantly about gate receipts and raffle tickets. Now you can add at least £2,000 to the total every year because of the squad's fundraising.

The REMF also tried auctioning off places. It resulted in a lower amount being raise by the playing squad.

The squad is NOT the same as it always is. New players come along every year and are welcomed into the REMF fold.

A charity, run by a handful of people, is now more than a decade old and tonight's match will probably add at least £4,000 to its coffers. That is £4,000 which will go to helping people in memory of Robert.

Last week a team of marathon runners added £6,000 to that pot. In little more than a week the REMF will have raised more than £10,000 for charity.

People can criticise all they like but in the midst of tough economic times, with more charities than ever competing for funds that is a FANTASTIC achievement.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It just feels a bit like someone standing watching the end of a marathon, shouting "come on, you could run a bit further, easily!" while scoffing a hot dog.

Well that's me sold.

I was going to go along tonight, pay my money, buy raffle tickets, lob shrapnel in buckets and cheer on the stripes but to be honest after some of the rubbish posted on here I'll have a night in the pub instead.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
He was involved in the first one, they raised thousands.

Are you saying that £65 raised per player is acceptable? Because you're looking forward to playing?

I think what people are trying to say is, therein lies the problem.

I have recently run the Brighton marathon for the rockinghorse charity, raising a decent amount, I'm personally going to give some money tonight as I couldn't go around asking the same people or more money for a different charity, as much as I would like to!

I take it your running the event next year and are going to raise at least 10k in the first week?

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location

PM sent.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Well that's me sold.

I was going to go along tonight, pay my money, buy raffle tickets, lob shrapnel in buckets and cheer on the stripes but to be honest after some of the rubbish posted on here I'll have a night in the pub instead.

I hope not mate. Please come along. You will be most welcome.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I am stunned at the amount of vitriol on this thread. REMF does a great job of raising loads of money, I fail to see what there is to moan about. Anyone who has a constructive comments to make is more than welcome to get involved themselves if they have new ideas. If so, do it, rather than snipe from the sidelines. Sadly I can't make it this evening but I made my contribution to the marathon effort, to make sure my cash still made it int the bucket so to speak. The Remf game is always a highlight of the season for me and long may it continue.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Well that's me sold.

I've done the opposite and have felt the urge to contribute (no such thing as bad publicity!). There is a sticky above with a Just Giving page but it crossed my mind that it's a shame that the same sticky doesn't include the Just Giving pages of each and every one of the players.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Do you honestly think that less than 65 quid each to play football in a stadium against Palace with Peter Ward is a sterling effort?

I think you've answered your own point. Trying to persuade to give you money to do something extremely enjoyable (i.e. unlike running a marathon, sitting in a bath of beans etc etc) is naturally not always that easy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here