Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Qatar WC corruption - PSG, Sarkozy and Platini.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The rich exploiting the poor, who would have thunk it. That kind of thing would never happen in the West... Oh, wait..
So you're suggesting that the anticipated mass volume of forced labour in inhumane conditions also happens when we have a world cup in the west? Could you provide details of this, maybe a link to Human Rights Watch?

Oct 25, 2003
the fact that they beat usa, japan, south korea and australia to win raised a few alarm bells to me

it's going to be the shittest world cup ever

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I should have phrased it "holiday resort", but I failed to remember that in a discussion NSC often resorts to being pedantic!
Hardly pedantic to mention that people are maybe even more likely to want to go on holiday to the countries listed by [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] than Qatar, resort or not. Personally I'd rather go somewhere where I thought the people who built the place might have got a bit of reward other than being shipped homwe afterward.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
A bit tenuous Edna.... Tennis players sit down in the shade every five minutes or so, taking on drinks and energy foods..... hardly a comparison is it?

For a minute at a time? Plus they're the only ones on court, they can't stand around hands on hips while the ball's up the other end.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Forced labour, don't be ridiculous. These people immigrate to Qatar & UAE by choice because that's where the work is.
That is what HMW is expected to say:
"In its World Report 2013, HRW is expected to say workers from India, Pakistan, Nepal and other south Asian countries suffer forced labour, low pay, insanitary and overcrowded living conditions and other violations of their human rights when they arrive to work in Qatar, one of the world's richest countries."

Going there because they need work, doesn't mean they will not lose any rights when they get there.

It might be worth considering where and by who so many of your possessions were manufactured...
I agree with you there, I think the world is quite f***ed up, and Qatar getting the WC is another example of this.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Forced labour, don't be ridiculous. These people immigrate to Qatar & UAE by choice because that's where the work is. These two nations are just giant construction projects, the construction of the stadia are just 10 out of 100's more going on right now and if these proposed labourers weren't working on these stadia, they would be working on something else there.

You have a habit of seeing white when it's black, and black when it's white, and denying facts when they're smashing you in the face.

Are you a bit hatstand?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I just really hope that someone somewhere can uncover, once & for all, that FIFA are what we all know they are, & the decision to have the WC in Qatar is what we all know it is. Utterly ridiculous decision, completely beyond belief. If Sepp's vision was to spread the football gospel around the world, then the one outstanding & obvious choice would be Australia; but of course not, bloody Qatar. It actually makes me angry to think of it, & Mr Kumal, for heaven sake, there is no argument to be won here, it's just beyond ridiculous.
Get David Walsh on the case to expose these corrupt con artists, not that strange guy from Panorama who just hassles officials at airports & doesn't put his (correct) case forward too well.
It will be a great day for ALL football fans if the Qatar decision were changed. (Russia too in my opinion, but that's another story).

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Potentially lethal 50 degrees :lolol: drama queen.

It'll be hot during the daytimes, I think it averages around 41 degrees in June, but the games will be played in the evenings so if anyone really is that sensitive to the heat, they should have the common sense to stay indoors until then (or in the pool!)

Qatar is a great holiday venue, there's a lot to do, spectacular hotels & beaches. This is the first time I've known a World Cup that can be doubled up as a holiday!

It's liberal compared to other Middle Eastern countries because people will be able to have fun there, drink & enjoy themselves, sunbathe etc. Things that you couldn't do in Saudi Arabia - the country in the Middle East most deserving of a World Cup based on football history.

I've been to Qatar half a dozen times, so here's my 5 penneth worth.

If the Qatari's say that they are going to build the venues then they will! They will be built on time and of the highest quality, the infrastructure will also be in place and it will be well organised, end of!

However, not only is it north of 40 degrees in the summer but the humidity is in the 80% range and it is a bastard, being outside during the day is not an enjoyable experience and is not for the faint hearted. The evenings are cooler but the humidity is still high and so very uncomfortable. The games may be in air conditioned stadiums but you still have to get too and from the grounds!

Qatar is more liberal than some of the other states, but it still abides by Islamic law and so you need to dress accordingly, going around in just shorts is not advisable as you are likely to get a bollocking from the police. At present if you were seen with a bottle of beer on the corniche in Doha you'd be arrested!

To give you an idea of what it can be like. The shopping centers have 'family days' where, as the name suggests, only families are allowed to shop. Single males are not allowed in! If you are out and about and get lost, don't approach a female for directions as this is not acceptable and you are likely to make the acquaintance of the local police.

The Qatari's that I have met were genuinely nice people but that doesn't make it right for the world cup to be held there.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I've been to Qatar half a dozen times, so here's my 5 penneth worth.

If the Qatari's say that they are going to build the venues then they will! They will be built on time and of the highest quality, the infrastructure will also be in place and it will be well organised, end of!

However, not only is it north of 40 degrees in the summer but the humidity is in the 80% range and it is a bastard, being outside during the day is not an enjoyable experience and is not for the faint hearted. The evenings are cooler but the humidity is still high and so very uncomfortable. The games may be in air conditioned stadiums but you still have to get too and from the grounds!

Qatar is more liberal than some of the other states, but it still abides by Islamic law and so you need to dress accordingly, going around in just shorts is not advisable as you are likely to get a bollocking from the police. At present if you were seen with a bottle of beer on the corniche in Doha you'd be arrested!

To give you an idea of what it can be like. The shopping centers have 'family days' where, as the name suggests, only families are allowed to shop. Single males are not allowed in! If you are out and about and get lost, don't approach a female for directions as this is not acceptable and you are likely to make the acquaintance of the local police.

The Qatari's that I have met were genuinely nice people but that doesn't make it right for the world cup to be held there.

Blimey, if a "Jungly" can't hack it, it must be bad!

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Qatar Urged To Reject Air Conditioning In Stadiums

ZURICH, Nov 8, (Agencies): After all the talk of using state-of-the-art air conditioning to cool stadiums at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, the architect in charge of one of the venues claimed Tuesday that a more old-fashioned solution would be cheaper and better. Leading firm Populous, which is designing the Sports City stadium in Doha, is trying to persuade Qatari organizers to scrap plans to have air conditioning at the venue. Populous director John Barrow said the system is too expensive and “notoriously unsustainable” for the environment when used on a large scale. “I think you can be more clever. It is about air movement, moisture in the air and it is about temperature at the right time of day,” Barrow told delegates at the International Football Arena conference. “If we get it right ... that is the way ahead.”

Air-conditioned stadiums to beat 50-degree (122 Fahrenheit) desert heat in June were a defining theme of Qatar’s winning bid last year. Qatar hired Populous to help its campaign, drawing on the firm’s experience in building signature projects such as the new Yankee Stadium, London’s 2012 Olympic Stadium and Arsenal’s Emirates arena. The firm built a small prototype of an air-conditioned stadium in Doha to help persuade a FIFA inspection team that the tiny nation’s ambitious World Cup project could succeed.

However, Barrow now believes the planned Sports City arena can be kept cool by shading seats and using traditional Arabic methods for ventilation.
“We are doing away with all the air conditioning kit that is going to cost a fortune to run,” Barrow said.
Instead, he is proposing wind towers that suck up hot air to create fan-like air movement inside the 47,000-capacity stadium.
“It is part of the building tradition in the Gulf to create wind towers which naturally ventilate. If you have got an air movement which keeps you cool like a fan that makes all the difference.”
Qatar promised FIFA that its 12 World Cup stadiums could be regulated at around 26 degrees (79 Fahrenheit).

Now, Barrow says spectators could be kept comfortable at 30 degrees (86 Fahrenheit) with low humidity during evening matches.
“It doesn’t need to be 26 degrees. Fan expectation needs to be a little more relaxed,” he said on the conference sidelines.
Seating areas also need to be kept in shade during searing daytime temperatures, instead of allowing stadiums to “suck in” heat that is retained after dark.
“Suddenly you are sitting on a radiator. It is totally counter productive,” Barrow said. “The objective for me is to keep the (stadium) bowl sun-screened during the day, with natural ventilation and also encouraging a vortex by using all kinds of clever tricks.”
Qatar is likely to be challenged on heat issues until the scheduled kickoff in June 2022. The organizing committee must approach FIFA if it wants to switch to midwinter dates but officials have said there is no plan to change.

Ghana forward Asamoah Gyan, who has played for United Arab Emirates club Al Ain since September, predicted that the “climate for the World Cup is going to be really, really difficult.
“They are putting air conditioning in the stadiums and I think maybe it can help the football there because without that I don’t think people can survive because it’s really, really hot,” Gyan told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.
However, Barrow compared the Doha climate with Houston, Texas, where Populous has built air-conditioned stadiums for baseball and American football.
“But it is an immensely expensive thing to do,” he cautioned.
Barrow said Populous is “actively engaged” in conversations with the Qatari government about its World Cup strategy.
“They are strongly of the opinion that they need to build now so that they can demonstrate their commitment, but in fact they have got loads of time,” he said, suggesting that waiting could allow new technology to develop. “There is still a long way until 2022.”

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The original investigation wasn't by British media but was in fact by a French magazine, which automatically means that the world of football might pay more attention to it

Eh? The Sunday Times and the BBC between them created enough stink a couple of years ago to get some FIFA officials suspended.

Qatar is one of the most liberal countries in the Middle East and of course it has "free cultural expression".

Are you serious? Perhaps you should tell this fella about "free cultural expression"

Qatari poet jailed for life after writing verse inspired by Arab spring | World news | guardian.co.uk

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
BBC Sport - Medical reports could see winter Qatar World Cup, says Fifa

The 2022 World Cup in Qatar could be moved to winter if medical reports show summer temperatures in Qatar would be dangerously high, a senior Fifa official has admitted.
Football's world governing body has always maintained that Qatar would have to make the request to move the tournament.
But speaking at the meeting of the International Football Association Board - the body that governs the laws of football - in Edinburgh, general secretary Jerome Valcke became the first senior Fifa official to say the event could be moved if they receive strong medical advice that it needs to do so.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
France Football magazine is reporting that Sarkozy, Platini and a Qatari prince colluded to secure Qatar's WC bid. The deal reputedly involved Platini switching his vote and in return a Qatari consortium purchased PSG.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/nicolas-sarkozy-colluded-to-get-qatar-2022-world-cup-8471758.html

Of course there was collusion and no doubt bribery. Why else would it have been given to Qatar? That's the way the Arabs do business. Always have done, always will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here