Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Qatar WC corruption - PSG, Sarkozy and Platini.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why is that bear wondering towards that clump of trees with a toilet roll in one paw and a copy of Goals on Sunday, in the other

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
The original investigation wasn't by British media but was in fact by a French magazine, which automatically means that the world of football might pay more attention to it

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
At this point it would be a surprise if it wasn't a result of bribery.

I'm sure it will come out everyone will be like 'oh what a surprise' and it will quickly be forgotten about again.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
This could turn out to be very interesting indeed. The decision to give the World Cup to Qatar, a country completely ill-suited to host the competition on so many levels, was so obviously suspect that allegations like this were bound to come out sooner rather than later. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2018 vote was similarly rigged, but at least Russia has a football history and culture to back up it's bid.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The original investigation wasn't by British media but was in fact by a French magazine, which automatically means that the world of football might pay more attention to it

Very true. France Football's a well respected magazine, certainly no tabloid rag. Unfortunately, I can't find the original 20 page report. This could have serious repercussions though and hopefully will herald the end of that smug little git, Platini.

well_well_well.jpg

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
And we all know what will happen, even if it turns out to be true.......

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I wonder what deals were done to secure the Russia bid?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Football is a global game, and even the Middle East now has football history, including continental trophies & World Cup participants over the years.

If South Africa could pull off a successful World Cup, Qatar definitely will. Unlike SA, they have money to burn - the stadiums and facilities will be out of this world, perhaps the best the World Cup has ever seen. I personally think it was a great decision, rigged or not.

I really wish you'd stop and think about what you're posting before you do so.

How on earth can you compare Qatar with South Africa?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm not sure what point you're making. They are both unique venues to host a World Cup, which is why I made the comparison. Despite its problems as a nation SA hosted a successful World Cup, so considering the circumstances Qatar's should be out of this world.

For a start, thanks to its passion and interest in sports, South Africa has hosted major international tournaments before.

In football terms, Japan, South Korea and South Africa were considered emerging nations when they were hosting the tournament. It's a bit of a push to say that Qatar is an emerging nation on the international stage.

Thirdly, to a much greater degree than Qatar, South Africa allows free movement and free cultural expression.

Finally, and this is arguably the most important point - Qatar's climate is not appropriate for an international football tournament. To alleviate this, they would have to play in January - slap bang in the middle of most of Europe's football seasons.

The only comparison that's fair is that they were both chosen to host World Cup Finals tournaments.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Football is a global game, and even the Middle East now has football history, including continental trophies & World Cup participants over the years.

If South Africa could pull off a successful World Cup, Qatar definitely will. Unlike SA, they have money to burn - the stadiums and facilities will be out of this world, perhaps the best the World Cup has ever seen. I personally think it was a great decision, rigged or not.

Absolute rubbish from start to finish I'm afraid.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

I'm not sure what point you're making. They are both unique venues to host a World Cup, which is why I made the comparison. Despite its problems as a nation SA hosted a successful World Cup, so considering the circumstances Qatar's should be out of this world.

I'm sure there was a lot of money paid unofficially to get the World Cup to Qatar, but I'm not opposed to the idea either. I'm sure there's going to be a lot of opposition to your comments, but I think what you've said is perfectly reasonable. There will always be cause to moan about the host nation if you want to.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I don't think any of that is fair. Middle Eastern clubs have won the AFC Champions League more times than Japanese or South Korean clubs have, over a period spanning more than 30 years. I can assure you that Middle Easterners are as passionate about the game as Africans, and possibly more so than East Asians.

Qatar is one of the most liberal countries in the Middle East and of course it has "free cultural expression". Perhaps you don't like their culture, but that's not good enough reason to say it doesn't deserve a World Cup - they are even relaxing alcohol laws during the tournament.

As for the climate, all the stadiums will have state-of-the-art air conditioning, like all of the buildings do there. All I would say to anyone going is enjoy the sunshine!

It sounds to me as if you have a problem with the Middle East hosting a World Cup in general, it's the WORLD Cup - every part of the world deserves to host it at least once. Qatar will host a truly spectacular World Cup.

Enjoy the sunshine? In a potentially lethal 50ºC heat?

I'm not sure you've understood what I've said. I'm not sure you've understood what you've said.

Comparing the levels of liberalism among Middle East countries is a largely meaningless affair - it's a bit like asking 'who's worse - John Terry or Luis Suarez?'

I would be fine with Qatar hosting a World Cup if I could be satisfied that the process in choosing it, and the reasons behind it were open, transparent, free from implied or explicit corruption, and for the good of football as a whole - not just because of FIFA's tired mantra of the 'football family'.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

I don't doubt they could in terms of infrastructure etc , but to hold it when temperatures are north of 40C is stupdity . Winter does make more sense , but then , why change everyone elses football seasons to suit them !

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Shouldn't get to host the world cup unless you've qualified at least once for the tournament

Be like letting brazil host the cricket World Cup.

Yes it's a worldwide game... But give it to a country that actually has a footballing history

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

You might as well compare Qatar with Greenland .. Both would be unique venues !

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave

It appears we have a completely opposite view. I remeber watching the draw & being in complete disbelief, firstly at Russia, but then Qatar. Qatar, really? Disbelief still hasn't worn off. Qatar? Come on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here