Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Punk not as important as former punk thinks

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
This is the biggest lie and insult to everyone who performed music before 1976....

So in essence your saying Hank Williams, John Lee Hooker, Elvis, Buddy Holly, all the old ska boys and original American garage bands and countless others all did it for nothing and would never have made it without help.

This lie that punk broke the rules is so far from the truth, the rules were constantly being broken and changed, punk was nothing new apart from maybe a more in your face attitude which to be honest teds, rockers, already had without swearing on TV. There was already fast and frantic music out there since the 50s through the 60s and early 70s in America. Ripping your jeans or putting a safety pin through your nose was a fashion not a music style in my opinion and might I add created by someone who branded and sold punk hardly breaking boundaries, just to be honest I felt it was as manufactured as say Brit pop.

Just an opinion mind

With respect, I think you've slightly missed the point. Before punk mainstream music was huge entourages (Led Zeppelin had their own plane for heaven's sake) and spent months in the Caribbean, California and other exotic locations to record an album. What punk did,if nothing else, was to empower people to do it themselves; the explosion of independent record labels and home printed fanzines meant that, rather than sucking up to A&R men, bands could spend a few hundred quid on a studio and have their own record made. A lot of it was very rough around the edges (and a lot of it was shit) but there were some real gems such as the Buzzcock's Spiral Scratch.
So from that perspective it did change everything

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
With respect, I think you've slightly missed the point. Before punk mainstream music was huge entourages (Led Zeppelin had their own plane for heaven's sake) and spent months in the Caribbean, California and other exotic locations to record an album. What punk did,if nothing else, was to empower people to do it themselves; the explosion of independent record labels and home printed fanzines meant that, rather than sucking up to A&R men, bands could spend a few hundred quid on a studio and have their own record made. A lot of it was very rough around the edges (and a lot of it was shit) but there were some real gems such as the Buzzcock's Spiral Scratch.

Elton John and Bernie Taupin wrote the double album Saturday Nights Alright for Fighting in the Caribbean, Taupin wrote the lyrics in 3 weeks and Elton wrote the music in a few days. It's still an amazing album and considerably more memorable than most punk.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

No I'm not as Elvis, john Lee hooker, hundreds of young rockabillies in the 50s garage and surf bands, ska bands in the 60s saved up there own money and recorded there own records so I think your wrong.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
No I'm not as Elvis, john Lee hooker, hundreds of young rockabillies in the 50s garage and surf bands, ska bands in the 60s saved up there own money and recorded there own records so I think your wrong.

Yes but wasn't it the bloated rock gods of the 70s that punk was a reaction to?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Yes but wasn't it the bloated rock gods of the 70s that punk was a reaction to?

You mean the same as hank Williams and others were against the trad jazz on the radio.

You mean the same as the early Elvis and others were against the crooners.

You mean the same as Mowtown against white rock'n'roll.

You mean the same garage bands like the Sonics were against the British pop beat.

It goes on and on.... Nothing new

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
I was 16 in 77 and punk was very exciting
some great gigs at Hastings pier pavilion
clash best of the lot
but do not listen to the music much now
for me amongst classic punk bands the ramones have stood the test
of time best.
for all the union jacks musically punk drew heavily from the USA
I still,like bands with something of punk about them
playing hard and fast
melt bananna were wonderful at the green door this week
but discovering the stooges and velvet underground even the pistols
and the clash pale in comparison.
think the fall and pil have stood the test of time better
Generally however and I know I am biased coming to age in the 70's
I do think nostalgia for the 70's is more deserved than the 60's
add to punk pre punk and post punk reggae soul classic disco electric jazz kraut rock some glam
and the 70's was the most exciting eclectic musical decade
obviously some crap too and terrible clothes and haircuts

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
You mean the same as hank Williams and others were against the trad jazz on the radio.

You mean the same as the early Elvis and others were against the crooners.

You mean the same as Mowtown against white rock'n'roll.

You mean the same garage bands like the Sonics were against the British pop beat.

It goes on and on.... Nothing new
the sonics adored British pop beat along with iggy they wanted
to look like Brian jones but love the garage feel especially with abit of
psychedelia in the mix do think generally British pop beat is overrated
with the exception of early stones and the kinks but us garage were fans
not anti

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here