Punk not as important as former punk thinks

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Last edited:

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Only a handful of 50 year old men who were there at the time like punk.

Everyone else thinks its shite.

No not everyone else thinks it's (there is an apostrophe in it's) shite. If you don't know much about music or culture or social history you will think it's shite.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
There will now be a review of who is the most punk, and who has the most punk knowledge.
From a laymans point of view, thought it was crap then, and think its crap now, confirming my first impression.

Not a layman's (note the apostrophe) point of view, the point of view of someone who has limited social/cultural/music knowledge.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Not a layman's (note the apostrophe) point of view, the point of view of someone who has limited social/cultural/music knowledge.

Bugger off! You sod!

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Some punks evolved.
Wire, Magazine, The Damned - they proved capable of more of a sophisticated sound.

All you old punks posting on this thread may wish to have a listen to this lot http://www.eightroundsrapid.com/ , their album "Lossleader" is on Spotify. They are from Southend, the image of the band on their website reminds me a lot of another legendary band from that neck of the woods and their lead guitarist is a certain Simon Johnson - from these clues I am sure you can deduce who his dad is.

Not particularly my cup of tea but I post this as a service to all of you who remember the mid '70's with misty eyed nostalgia.

Jan 30, 2008
HARRY UP HARRY COME ON we're going down the pub : AND THERE'S GOING TO BE A BORSTAL BREAK OUT if the kids are united !!!!vuvu::vuvu:
regards
DR

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
HARRY UP HARRY COME ON we're going down the pub : AND THERE'S GOING TO BE A BORSTAL BREAK OUT if the kids are united !!!!vuvu::vuvu:
regards
DR

who's got a dirty face then?

ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES

still got Tell Us The Truth & That's Life knocking about somewhere

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
there were many great punk singles,but very few punk bands managed to make great albums

Pistols & Clash most certainly did

the two best bands around that scene at the time were the Stranglers & the Jam,ironic as both were not punk

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Punk's more of an ethos / outlook than a particular genre of a music. If you decided to form a band now and decided to sound like the Sex Pistols, would that really be punk?

Addick

Jan 20, 2008
Speaking for me, Punk did change everything. The events of 1976 changed the musical terrain forever and opened the door to far more diversity in music. It enabled people like The Clash to begin to inform white, middle classes about the delights of reggae for example. The Smiths, who I loathe, would never had succeeded where it not for punk and the same for The Cocteau Twins. Punk drew a line in the sand and everything after was different because of it.
You can even track Punks influence in the Madchester scene and The Happy Mondays as well as Big Beat. Punks biggest legacy was the fact that YOU COULD DO IT YOURSELF!

Wendy Wilkins

May 23, 2014
Hove
My views are identical to El Presidente's, but as we formed the axis at the heart of The Supporters Club footie team it's not surprising! Are we really saying The Clash are irrelevant, I don't think so!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Couldn't this accusation be made about pretty much anything?

"Football, not as important as football fans think. Etc..."

Because no hobby really is THAT important is it? Music, sport, film, whatever.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Punks biggest legacy was the fact that YOU COULD DO IT YOURSELF!

This is the biggest lie and insult to everyone who performed music before 1976....

So in essence your saying Hank Williams, John Lee Hooker, Elvis, Buddy Holly, all the old ska boys and original American garage bands and countless others all did it for nothing and would never have made it without help.

This lie that punk broke the rules is so far from the truth, the rules were constantly being broken and changed, punk was nothing new apart from maybe a more in your face attitude which to be honest teds, rockers, already had without swearing on TV. There was already fast and frantic music out there since the 50s through the 60s and early 70s in America. Ripping your jeans or putting a safety pin through your nose was a fashion not a music style in my opinion and might I add created by someone who branded and sold punk hardly breaking boundaries, just to be honest I felt it was as manufactured as say Brit pop.

Just an opinion mind

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here