[Help] Pulse Oxymeter - COVID

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
There are a few assumptions going on there.

How do you know others (apart from Zeberdi), don't know what an oxymeter is for? Have you met them all?
Why are you advising people not to buy medical stuff from Amazon? Have you reviewed it all?
Why did you ignore your own advice and buy a thermometer from Amazon? Why did you buy the thermometer anyway? Was it because you had a temperature?
I'll answer in reverse...
I have a thermometer, 2 in fact. 1 old fashioned mercury, another digital under tongue or armpit. Jnr can't put the thermometers under his tongue, armpits are not perfect so I thought I'd test the one that I was 'given' from my mum that she brought from Amazon. It's not accurate. I could probably search my mums order history to tell you what not to buy.
I'm going to answer your question with a question (which is wrong I know) but would you suggest to someone to buy a potentially lifesaving bit of equipment from the chemist or an online retailer? I've bought so much general shit from online retailers that there's no way I'd trust it with medical stuff, you can sue your local chemist. It's going to be difficult to sue a major online retailer. I don't trust online retailers with charging cables let alone something that may save my life!!!
@seagullsausage3 pointed out the reason why oxymeters are a good idea which I've just said to them I wasn't aware of the advice.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
you came accross as a bit blunt but thats perfectly fine cos It is a bit disconcerting to think that people are suddenly buying up this thing to make sure they have got enough oxygen. If you are young and no serious health conditions it might be a bit overkill to get one but also if you have covid and feel quite ill with it then might be worth having acces to one then.
Probably my grammar or lack of emoji's made it sound blunt. It wasn't my intention.
Back to the op, @jcdenton08 let us know you're ok. :smile:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I'll answer in reverse...
I have a thermometer, 2 in fact. 1 old fashioned mercury, another digital under tongue or armpit. Jnr can't put the thermometers under his tongue, armpits are not perfect so I thought I'd test the one that I was 'given' from my mum that she brought from Amazon. It's not accurate. I could probably search my mums order history to tell you what not to buy.
I'm going to answer your question with a question (which is wrong I know) but would you suggest to someone to buy a potentially lifesaving bit of equipment from the chemist or an online retailer? I've bought so much general shit from online retailers that there's no way I'd trust it with medical stuff, you can sue your local chemist. It's going to be difficult to sue a major online retailer. I don't trust online retailers with charging cables let alone something that may save my life!!!
@seagullsausage3 pointed out the reason why oxymeters are a good idea which I've just said to them I wasn't aware of the advice.
I understand your points.

Your approach stems from many bad experiences with online retailers. I get that. You regard them as untrustworthy, a view with which I have a lot of sympathy.
Like you, I also trust my local chemist. But to be honest, it didn't occur to me to look for an oxymeter at the chemist. My decision to buy from Amazon was based only on that was where I knew I would find one. Lazy? Foolhardy? Perhaps, but the one I got has been fine. I've also got a thermometer, which is also fine. Maybe I got lucky.
But you got me thinking. I'm not usually a fan of buying unseen. I like to feel the quality, check the provenance etc. If we don't do it a bit more, then one day the chemist won't be there.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
They've literally fast tracked a vaccination programme, have reintroduced the ONS survey and still have a whole heap of guidance on Covid. The idea that they are "pretending" is a myth best saved for the blue heart twitter crowd and left leaning media i think.

Hope the OP gets well soon
Really? They've kept that rather quiet. Did they not want anyone to catch on that they might just have got something right after all these years of screwing everything and everyone (below a certain wealth level)?

Just looked. High risk folk can get a vaccination. Not generally available, nor are test kits freely available. So if covids on the rise they're just waiting for the country to decide what to do, then they'll go with that.

Not sure this non governing approach to government is working out that well to be honest.

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Morning @jcdenton08 . I hope you received the care at the hospital you sought.
Thanks mate. Just having breakfast. Got a bed on a ward at around 1am then woken up a few hours later for antibiotic IV. Been on oxygen practically since triage. Doctors and nurses have been fantastic (thank you as ever NHS)

Nurse told me candidly I’m likely here at least another few nights for the antibiotics. 👍🏻👍🏻

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Thanks mate. Just having breakfast. Got a bed on a ward at around 1am then woken up a few hours later for antibiotic IV. Been on oxygen practically since triage. Doctors and nurses have been fantastic (thank you as ever NHS)

Nurse told me candidly I’m likely here at least another few nights for the antibiotics. 👍🏻👍🏻

So glad you’re getting the right treatment, and wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery. Get well soon!

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Good grief. This must have been a terrible shock for you.

Thank heavens you had the oxymeter and acted swiftly on the results. A lesson for us all I think.
Here's hoping you get the all the healthcare you need and make a full recovery.

I'm nursing myself at home. Unfortunately, in spite of our efforts, my son has just gone down with it.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I've got my booster on Tuesday but had covid in Sept however the email just received states 'You should also wait if you have a high temperature or feel particularly unwell with any illness. If you have recently got better from COVID-19, there is no need to delay getting vaccinated.' Although mentioned on some websites, no mention of the 28 days in the email.
Had covid like symptoms a month back (bad cough, loss of taste and smell and fatigue) didn’t have any tests (as were not available) and a for fortnight later took my Covid Booster. Not sure if i should have done as don’t think it helped matters.

Had a terrible cough for a month, had a chest X-ray but no concerns found and it took to course of Amoxicillin and then Doxycylin to clear. Only today a month after has my cough pretty much stopped and the taste and smell slowly returning.

I should also add @jcdenton08 i hope all goes well and you’re on the mend

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Just ordered one for peace of mind. My Smartwatch does have that function and a quick test says 98% so may well work but not sure I want to rely on a watch for my health.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Pleased you’re being looked after. Get well soon.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Had covid like symptoms a month back (bad cough, loss of taste and smell and fatigue) didn’t have any tests (as were not available) and a for fortnight later took my Covid Booster. Not sure if i should have done as don’t think it helped matters.

Had a terrible cough for a month, had a chest X-ray but no concerns found and it took to course of Amoxicillin and then Doxycylin to clear. Only today a month after has my cough pretty much stopped and the taste and smell slowly returning.

I should also add @jcdenton08 i hope all goes well and you’re on the mend
You can buy tests online, got ours from Boots.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Just ordered one for peace of mind. My Smartwatch does have that function and a quick test says 98% so may well work but not sure I want to rely on a watch for my health.
I don’t know about the pulse part but I checked the heart rate bit of my Apple Watch with a nurse in A&E who was taking my pulse and she said it was accurate.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don’t know about the pulse part but I checked the heart rate bit of my Apple Watch with a nurse in A&E who was taking my pulse and she said it was accurate.
As I've posted elsewhere, my Apple Watch alerted me to irregular heartbeats and likely atrial fibrillation.

I could feel something wasn't right, but I'd have held off doing anything about it. But, having been warned by my watch, I was given a same-day GP appointment and same-day ECG, both of which confirmed I was in AFib.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
As I've posted elsewhere, my Apple Watch alerted me to irregular heartbeats and likely atrial fibrillation.

I could feel something wasn't right, but I'd have held off doing anything about it. But, having been warned by my watch, I was given a same-day GP appointment and same-day ECG, both of which confirmed I was in AFib.
Yeah, it was my watch that alerted me to the fast heart rate as I have a SVT related heart condition. It also was what made me realise I had to go to hospital when I found I had blood clots in my lungs, a heart rate of 115bpm when I was in bed.

The weird thing is that I can’t look at the watch anymore because of these things! I get scared looking at it now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports