Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Pulse Oxymeter - COVID

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Of course we wish him well and whilst we're waiting for an update what's the harm in a discussion?
Out of politeness I am replying…but only to say I’ve made my point and I’ll comment no further unless it’s regarding the OP

Have a great evening

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I also have Covid, but maybe not as bad as @jcdenton08. Not yet anyway. I am on day 8. Ironically, I was about to get my booster jab tomorrow, and have had to cancel the appointment. I now have to wait 28 days before having the booster.
I've got my booster on Tuesday but had covid in Sept however the email just received states 'You should also wait if you have a high temperature or feel particularly unwell with any illness. If you have recently got better from COVID-19, there is no need to delay getting vaccinated.' Although mentioned on some websites, no mention of the 28 days in the email.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I've got my booster on Tuesday but had covid in Sept however the email just received states 'You should also wait if you have a high temperature or feel particularly unwell with any illness. If you have recently got better from COVID-19, there is no need to delay getting vaccinated.' Although mentioned on some websites, no mention of the 28 days in the email.
Hmm. Thanks for the heads-up. I got the 28 days wait from the govt website. When I'm over it and testing negative, I'll get onto it again.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
All the very best to @jcdenton08 and thank you all for letting me know about oxymeters which I’d no idea about. After the briefest of chats with my wife, we’re already scanning Amazon. If anyone has any particular recommendations, we’d be grateful.
Mine has been reliable. Made by Promise Technology Ltd, Taiwan. From memory, it cost around £15.

Finger pulse oximeter, model F4.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Hmm. Thanks for the heads-up. I got the 28 days wait from the govt website. When I'm over it and testing negative, I'll get onto it again.
I saw the same info but my jab on Tuesday is 27 days after symptoms started (although mine only lasted 6 days and nearly scuppered Marseille). Email came before I cancelled luckily.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
All the very best to @jcdenton08 and thank you all for letting me know about oxymeters which I’d no idea about. After the briefest of chats with my wife, we’re already scanning Amazon. If anyone has any particular recommendations, we’d be grateful.
Yes this one from Amazon

IMG_0698.jpeg

The Respiratory Consultant I was under at Addenbrookes asked me if I used one - I said ‘only this, a cheap one off Amazon’ - he looked at it and said it’s as good as the ones they used in the hospital 🤷‍♂️

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I saw the same info but my jab on Tuesday is 27 days after symptoms started (although mine only lasted 6 days and nearly scuppered Marseille). Email came before I cancelled luckily.
Does the 28 days clock start ticking from the onset of symtoms then? I assumed I would need to wait until I tested negative. I can't seem to get back to the place on the NHS website where it may tell me.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Mine is reading 92% as I enter my second week of covid, bad cough now and bit breathy. Should I go to A&E? The NHS advice is confusing nowadays since the initial crisis ended
If you have a pre-existing condition that requires you to have an oxymeter then of course you should at least be ringing 111. I've just read the reply saying you're going to A&E, I hope all is well very soon. :smile:
Forgive me for sounding stupid but why are people comparing the best oxymeter to buy on Amazon? Yes I know @Zeberdi needs one & their consultant has said to get one. I'm just unsure why others are getting one when they don't know what they're for. Just to warn you, I had a temperature of 104 degrees for a highly rated thermometer from Amazon. I was fine and was just testing it.
Do not buy medical stuff from Amazon*, some of it is as fake as the stuff on Ebay*. If your GP or medical consultant thinks you need something, they'll get it for you.
*Other online retailers are available.

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Get well soon @jcdenton08, hope everything's ok.

On the side discussion, I had my booster last week. Told the nurse I'd just had covid but had tested negative a few days beforehand. She said that was fine, and they can even jab you while you have covid now, although they prefer not to.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Does the 28 days clock start ticking from the onset of symtoms then? I assumed I would need to wait until I tested negative. I can't seem to get back to the place on the NHS website where it may tell me.
The website is a bit ambiguous. the one I read the other week says 28 days from when you tested positive or 28 days from your first symptoms. If you keep taking tests then your last positive test is the last one before you tested negative! I was positive for 7 days (tested negative on a Wed morning. However, have just checked and this is on another Gov website :-

If you are unwell on the day of your vaccination​

If you are unwell, wait until you have recovered to have your vaccine. There is no need to wait 4 weeks after having had COVID-19, provided you are well. You should not attend a vaccine appointment if you think you could be infectious to others.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Forgive me for sounding stupid but why are people comparing the best oxymeter to buy on Amazon? Yes I know @Zeberdi needs one & their consultant has said to get one. I'm just unsure why others are getting one when they don't know what they're for.
Think you are reading posts too quickly 😉
No one is ‘comparing’ Oximeters on Amazon - The poster asked for recommendations so I recommended one I happened to have bought on Amazon about 7 mnths ago
Just to warn you, I had a temperature of 104 degrees for a highly rated thermometer from Amazon. I was fine and was just testing it.
Do not buy medical stuff from Amazon*, some of it is as fake as the stuff on Ebay*. If your GP or medical consultant thinks you need something, they'll get it for you.
- My GP suggested I get one after a serious asthma attack - and a smart watch with a pulse/defib monitor on it and a BP monitor! - you must have a good GP because we have to buy our own medical home monitoring stuff up here where I live! The Consultant and several nurses looked at mine the 5 mnths I was in and out of hospital and said it was as good as the one he uses in his clinic (mine is CE marked and MHRA registered so is UK Government approved) - not everything on Amazon is fake.

Sep 2, 2023
:smile:
Forgive me for sounding stupid but why are people comparing the best oxymeter to buy on Amazon?
Before vaccinations in 2020 doctors and medical professionals were advising everyone to buy an oximeter. They are cheap and its a fairly simple bit of kit so seems sensible for people to have one. for the original poster its certainly proved its worth. some info about what they are is here https://www.england.nhs.uk/blog/a-s...nd-could-change-how-we-provide-care-for-good/

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Think you are reading posts too quickly 😉
No one is ‘comparing’ Oximeters on Amazon - The poster asked for recommendations so I recommended one I happened to have bought on Amazon about 7 mnths ago

- My GP suggested I get one after a serious asthma attack - and a smart watch with a pulse/defib monitor on it and a BP monitor! - you must have a good GP because we have to buy our own medical home monitoring stuff up here where I live! The Consultant and several nurses looked at mine the 5 mnths I was in and out of hospital and said it was as good as the one he uses in his clinic (mine is CE marked and MHRA registered so is UK Government approved) - not everything on Amazon is fake.
I specifically excluded you in my post as I know you need one. I think I'm more troubled by people not knowing what they are, feeling the need to buy one. Yours is marked and registered but not everyone looks out for those things. I'm very fortunate that I don't need home monitoring but if I was to ring up my surgery & say my sats are low as I bought something from Amazon to test them. He'd ask why I bought it in the first place. My point was that if my GP said I needed some monitoring equipment, I'd get it. I wouldn't just buy it just in case or for random testing.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Before vaccinations in 2020 doctors and medical professionals were advising everyone to buy an oximeter. They are cheap and its a fairly simple bit of kit so seems sensible for people to have one. for the original poster its certainly proved its worth. some info about what they are is here https://www.england.nhs.uk/blog/a-s...nd-could-change-how-we-provide-care-for-good/
Oh, well apologises if I've been sounding insensitive but that completely passed me by in any advice given. I now know the reason people who haven't been advised by their GP's to have one, have one.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
If you have a pre-existing condition that requires you to have an oxymeter then of course you should at least be ringing 111. I've just read the reply saying you're going to A&E, I hope all is well very soon. :smile:
Forgive me for sounding stupid but why are people comparing the best oxymeter to buy on Amazon? Yes I know @Zeberdi needs one & their consultant has said to get one. I'm just unsure why others are getting one when they don't know what they're for. Just to warn you, I had a temperature of 104 degrees for a highly rated thermometer from Amazon. I was fine and was just testing it.
There are a few assumptions going on there.

How do you know others (apart from Zeberdi), don't know what an oxymeter is for? Have you met them all?
Why are you advising people not to buy medical stuff from Amazon? Have you reviewed it all?
Why did you ignore your own advice and buy a thermometer from Amazon? Why did you buy the thermometer anyway? Was it because you had a temperature?

Sep 2, 2023
Oh, well apologises if I've been sounding insensitive but that completely passed me by in any advice given. I now know the reason people who haven't been advised by their GP's to have one, have one.
you came accross as a bit blunt but thats perfectly fine cos It is a bit disconcerting to think that people are suddenly buying up this thing to make sure they have got enough oxygen. If you are young and no serious health conditions it might be a bit overkill to get one but also if you have covid and feel quite ill with it then might be worth having acces to one then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here