Pulis...would you take him now?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Return of the Makh

May 11, 2014
The style of play under Pulis was different gravy. He got that team of utter dross performing miracles. The 3-3 against Liverpool was one of the best PL games last season.

I also agree he wouldn't come to Brighton unless we were prepared to fuck FFP right out of the window. It's an interesting debate nonetheless.

The main reason it was a "team of dross" as you so elegantly put it, was due to the total ineptitude of one Ian Holloway.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Absolutely hilarious reading this. Tony Pulis would never join you in your current state, he has far bigger fish to fry than little old Brighton and Hove Albion. He'll end up at Newcastle, Sunderland or QPR by December latest, wait and see. The main reason he left (Premiership) Palace was because we wouldn't give him full control on transfers and he wanted to spend well over our allocated budget. You lot are in a Championship relegation battle, don't have a pot to pee in and everyone knows it's Burke/Barber who are the men who get the players in, not the manager. Why on earth would you seriously think he would come to you?? Deluded beyond belief.

A Palace fan calling other fans deluded! Unbeliveable Jeff!

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Well, when compared to Hypia I guess they have a point!

Your criticism of anything BHFC managerial would carry far more weight if you hadn't just taken back Warnock as your manager. They say the definition of an idiot is someone who fails and keeps doing the same thing and expects different result and you wear it well.

We learnt that five managers ago but its ingrained in your history

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
The style of play under Pulis was different gravy. He got that team of utter dross performing miracles. The 3-3 against Liverpool was one of the best PL games last season.

I also agree he wouldn't come to Brighton unless we were prepared to fuck FFP right out of the window. It's an interesting debate nonetheless.

Just a reminder to all those who are less rational than you:

Pulis left Palace because a. he wanted more than £40,000 per week
b. He wanted a transfer budget of more than the offered £25m
and c. he wanted to sign ageing journeymen like Crouch and Walters

I don't think Pulis would even consider taking a job beneath a midtable Premier League club now. His stock has never been higher and he guarantees Premier League survival.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Your criticism of anything BHFC managerial would carry far more weight if you hadn't just taken back Warnock as your manager. They say the definition of an idiot is someone who fails and keeps doing the same thing and expects different result and you wear it well.

Please point to any recent Palace failings. It seems to me that things have been going rather brilliantly on and off the pitch for several years now, certainly FAR better than they have been for you.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

I don't think Pulis would even consider taking a job beneath a midtable Premier League club now. His stock has never been higher and he guarantees Premier League survival.

Or in the real world

Palace wouldn't pay the going rate for someone who saved your club from relegation and earn't you millions

and expected someone who had already performed 1 miracle expected him to do it again on less money

and are deluded enough to think they could afford anyone better with £25M and are dumb enough not to realise thatCrouch and Walters are good players in the same ilk as Jerome that saved their skin last season.

You won promotion off our backs but other than that you were lucky to get Pulis and even luckier that clubs around you crumbled events that saved you rather than the success you claim.

Even now your claim is that you have a better "failure" rate than our - well done

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012

I thought he had denied wanting Crouch and had implied that Parish made it up. Or did I dream that?

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove

No such thing. If he guaranteed premiership survival then you would of met his wage demands. He is a great manager and gets the most out of his players. His tactics were superb last year, he left because Croydon stinks of shit and you know it!

Return of the Makh

May 11, 2014

Warnock was not a failure at Palace (he took us to the playoffs and also a decent FA Cup run) so not sure what your point is?

Return of the Makh

May 11, 2014
Or in the real world

Palace wouldn't pay the going rate for someone who saved your club from relegation and earn't you millions

and expected someone who had already performed 1 miracle expected him to do it again on less money

and are deluded enough to think they could afford anyone better with £25M and are dumb enough not to realise thatCrouch and Walters are good players in the same ilk as Jerome that saved their skin last season.

You won promotion off our backs but other than that you were lucky to get Pulis and even luckier that clubs around you crumbled events that saved you rather than the success you claim.

Even now your claim is that you have a better "failure" rate than our - well done

Pulis did not want the going rate, he wanted big, big money that we weren't prepared to stump up, you only have to look at the spending table of Prem teams in recent years, Stoke were above Arsenal and Liverpool in 3rd place during his time, he is a notorious big spender. Stoke allowed it but they had/have far deeper pockets than our Chairman.

Crouch and Waters are decent players as you say but not worth the 70-80k a week they would want. A club like ours isn't established enough in the Premiership to yet afford that outlay.

Not sure how you can justify saying Cameron Jerome saved our skin last year, he scored 2 goals all season. Frazier Campbell has replaced him and already has 3.

I don't think finishing 11th can be counted as lucky do you?

You sound very bitter.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
This isn't a dig at you but...

When Pulis took you on he must have planned for the possibility of managing you in the Championship despite his never been relegated record. Lets face it you looked doomed, so Pulis will take a championship club because whilst his style of play is pretty dire to watch he plays football to win and grinds out results - its not hoofball as some idiots claim its more defend defend, defend,defend hit them on the break or set piece and defend again. If Pulis was given money he'd be an English version of Mourinio.

Pulis's problem is that unless you are desperate to not lose points very few clubs will take him on because that style of play is so bad to watch unless you have class attackers (like Chelsea) that get the results that cover up the style and make the fans happy because they move up the table.

To be honest, the style of play was a pleasant surprise, and not what I was expecting. I will argue that plenty of PL teams would take him, he will get teams organised and hard to beat.
I've heard a few stories regarding his departure from Palace, and none of them puts him in a good light.
He did a good job for us, but he was never going to be here for the long run.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Pulis did not want the going rate, he wanted big, big money that we weren't prepared to stump up, you only have to look at the spending table of Prem teams in recent years, Stoke were above Arsenal and Liverpool in 3rd place during his time, he is a notorious big spender. Stoke allowed it but they had/have far deeper pockets than our Chairman.

Crouch and Waters are decent players as you say but not worth the 70-80k a week they would want. A club like ours isn't established enough in the Premiership to yet afford that outlay.

Not sure how you can justify saying Cameron Jerome saved our skin last year, he scored 2 goals all season. Frazier Campbell has replaced him and already has 3.

I don't think finishing 11th can be counted as lucky do you?

You sound very bitter.

What would I be bitter about - I've always said Pulisball will keep teams up in the Prem - his problem is he can't move on from that position.

11th flattered you and him to a degree but he did want to take you further and there were times he talked you up so much I thought he would stay whatever but by your own words you didn't come up financially with what you need to stay up and its probably why you have got Colin back (more fool him). And there is the point Warnock has gone back to a club that didn't treat him that well last time because no one else wanted him and Pulis is the same type of fish.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
I thought he had denied wanting Crouch and had implied that Parish made it up. Or did I dream that?

Knowing the way you post I'd say the latter .

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Fair shout. But don't believe in swapping managers all the time.

Hyypia deserves longer.

How much longer? I give him 3 or 4 more games at most.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports