Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pubs you remember that have been long gone(15 years or more) Sussex only

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Two pubs in Eastern Road, Brighton that were very close to each other:

The Eastern

Star In The East

The Eastern! The pub where I had my first pint of bitter (Worthington E) in the side room with the pin table. They knew we were under age but as long as we kept it quiet all was OK.

There was also The Hungry Years opposite the Palace Pier where I got my first broken nose :down:.

And then there was The Bathing Machine outside Black Rock swimming pool where I found out that girls could have the same interests as boys....

What was that pub called in Stonegate, a real all night drinker frequented by Roger Daltrey when I lived in Heathfield?

Just remembered, the Kicking Donkey. this was back in the days when pubs opened at 10.30 and closed at 3, reopened at 6 till 10:30 or 11. The Kicking Donkey opened in 1957 and never closed. Well, obviously it did eventually, but you know what I mean.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Some nostalgia for the old uns from Worthing:
The Dragoon
The Spaniard
The Kings Arms
The White Hart
The Ship
The New Street
The Railway later The Lennox
The Half Brick
The Victoria
The Fountain (think that could still be there but a different name)

Not a pub but anybody remember The Music Centre owned by Pete Cox opposite The Dragoon.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
i knew floss - top barmaid. roy was landlord for most of my time there.

Roy and Kath Lester great couple. To the best of my knowledge still going strong although well retired now. You may recall the Race Relations people made him removd his display of golliwogs thst had been bought by customers when visiting all parts of the world.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Not sure about the 15 years but might add for Shoreham: Morning Star, Surry Arms, Hebe, Arundel Arms and the Kingston Inn plus the Kings Head already mentioned.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Roy and Kath Lester great couple. To the best of my knowledge still going strong although well retired now. You may recall the Race Relations people made him removd his display of golliwogs thst had been bought by customers when visiting all parts of the world.

they moved west. coincidentally they went just before toby got in there

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I can't believe anyone thinks of the Golden Eagle (pilgrim)with any fondness. For me Kings Head Cuckfield and (oh blinking heck I have just spent half an hour trying to remember it's name) the pub opposite Sampsons burgers in Kemp Town. Might still be there but not like it was in the early 80's.
In the old days you could be high just breathing the smoke in the Kings Head Cuckfield :smokin::smokin:

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Just remembered, the Kicking Donkey. this was back in the days when pubs opened at 10.30 and closed at 3, reopened at 6 till 10:30 or 11. The Kicking Donkey opened in 1957 and never closed. Well, obviously it did eventually, but you know what I mean.

Anna and Nelson owned the Kicking Donkey. Nelson provided the music. Very popular and fondly remembered pub but long gone as are they.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Half Moon (?) - I think - and the Sandrock in Ditchling (possibly another but I forget).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
they moved west. coincidentally they went just before toby got in there

The George was a pub run by Knowlan family I can remember a couple of the managers before it became a Toby Carvery. One couple was Malcolm and Simone, another cantt remember his name but he acted as Churchill in Where Eagles Dare. Roy was definitely the manger when it was a Toby and when he decided to leave my mum left at the same time I would guess around 2006 ish. Just remembered Churchills name it was Lee Dilley.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
I think it came from this old Victorian poem, just wondered if anyone remembers going in the pub.

The morn of life is past,
And evening comes at last;
It brings me a dream of a once happy day,
Of merry forms I've seen
Upon the village green,
Sporting with my old dog Tray.

Chorus:
Old dog Tray’s ever faithful,
Grief cannot drive him away,
He’s gentle, he is kind;
I’ll never, never find
A better friend than old dog Tray.

The forms I call’d my own
Have vanished one by one,
The loved ones, the dear ones have all passed away;
Their happy smiles have flown,
Their gentle voices gone;
I've nothing left but old dog Tray.

Chorus:

When thoughts recall the past
His eyes are on me cast;
I know that he feels what my breaking heart would say:
Although he cannot speak
I’ll vainly, vainly seek
A better friend than old dog Tray.

I went in there once. It was quite a modern watney pub but i don't recall much about the interior, i think it was just very plain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here