Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pubs you remember that have been long gone(15 years or more) Sussex only

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Haywards Heath best boozer by a country mile, the Liverpool Arms.

RIP Jim :down:
use to have a drink before catching the train to Hove old Jim had big smile with no teeth did a mean egg & chips.
Heyworth hotel The Ugly Duck the Sussex haywards Heath The Kings Head Cuckfield North Star & Sandrock Ditchling dog &Tray Edward Street Brighton Royal George and Kings head Burgess a Hill the royal Oak

Last edited:

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Worthing.

The Marine, now a pub again but been lots of things since.

Buckingham, Montague street

Victoria, Montague street

White hart, Montague street

Wine lodge, Marine parade

Albion, Portland road

Cissbury, Findon valley

Ship, Chapel road, frontage still there. Some rumours of it reopening as a bar again.

Spaniard. Portland road, did Drum mild, lovely stuff.

Wigmore, Wigmore road

Woodz, a bar really but THE place once, inside the Ambassador bowling ally

That's some of the old ones, loads more in the last 15 years.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
use have a drink before catching the train to Hove old Jim had big smile with no teeth did a mean egg & chips.
Heyworth hotel The Ugly Duck the Sussex haywards Heath The Kings Head Cuckfield North Star & Sandrock Ditchling dog &Tray Edward Street Brighton Royal George and Kings head Burgess a Hill the royal Oak

Interesting, I've been trying to learn a bit about the history of that pub, any memories?

The Brighton Bear

Come on Kylie, get a grip
May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
use to have a drink before catching the train to Hove old Jim had big smile with no teeth did a mean egg & chips.

It was called The Dog Tray. It was named after a dog called Tray.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
The Maytree in Hove. Some sort of temple now, I think.

[ /QUOTE]

No, the best pub in the world was torn down to make way for new housing. I worked there when Mr Scrine was the landlord; he used to do chablis and oysters for his close chums down in the very large cellar which was also reportedly used as a bomb shelter in the war, but I'm not sure THAT'S true. My grandad was a potman at the pub, and also gardened the extensive plot now blotted out by dull looking houses. Mr Scrine also made me take out the toilet rolls I'd put in the public bar loos because he thought his customers would steal them. It had the best bar billiards table in the universe in the saloon bar, and had an offie and a snug. It was terrific, and the nearest I've seen to it was "The Greyhound" a canal-side pub in Longford,Coventry, though that has now been turned into a gentrified pub/restaurant for wine drinkers and the like, though it did used to host dominoes, darts,and cards, and where Olive would pull pints for proper drinkers.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Three Crowns and South Strand in East Preston, Wine Lodge and Old England Worthing.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Worthing.

The Marine, now a pub again but been lots of things since.

Buckingham, Montague street

Victoria, Montague street

White hart, Montague street

Wine lodge, Marine parade

Albion, Portland road

Cissbury, Findon valley

Ship, Chapel road, frontage still there. Some rumours of it reopening as a bar again.

Spaniard. Portland road, did Drum mild, lovely stuff.

wigmore-wigmore road

Woodz, a bar really but THE place once, inside the Ambassador bowling ally

That's some of the old ones, loads more in the last 15 years.

I liked this pubbut it hasnt been 15 years it been about 10

Last edited:

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
White Admiral in Lower Bevendean

General Abercrombie in Arundel

Shoulder of Mutton & Cucumbers in Yapton

Three Crowns in East Preston

Tiroller in Worthing

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
It was called The Dog Tray. It was named after a dog called Tray.

I think it came from this old Victorian poem, just wondered if anyone remembers going in the pub.

The morn of life is past,
And evening comes at last;
It brings me a dream of a once happy day,
Of merry forms I've seen
Upon the village green,
Sporting with my old dog Tray.

Chorus:
Old dog Tray’s ever faithful,
Grief cannot drive him away,
He’s gentle, he is kind;
I’ll never, never find
A better friend than old dog Tray.

The forms I call’d my own
Have vanished one by one,
The loved ones, the dear ones have all passed away;
Their happy smiles have flown,
Their gentle voices gone;
I've nothing left but old dog Tray.

Chorus:

When thoughts recall the past
His eyes are on me cast;
I know that he feels what my breaking heart would say:
Although he cannot speak
I’ll vainly, vainly seek
A better friend than old dog Tray.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
The Rose and Crown, Crowborough. my local for around 10 years .

The George,The Bicycle Arms and The Harvest Moon all Rotherfield

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The Maytree in Hove. Some sort of temple now, I think.

[ /QUOTE]

No, the best pub in the world was torn down to make way for new housing. I worked there when Mr Scrine was the landlord; he used to do chablis and oysters for his close chums down in the very large cellar which was also reportedly used as a bomb shelter in the war, but I'm not sure THAT'S true. My grandad was a potman at the pub, and also gardened the extensive plot now blotted out by dull looking houses. Mr Scrine also made me take out the toilet rolls I'd put in the public bar loos because he thought his customers would steal them. It had the best bar billiards table in the universe in the saloon bar, and had an offie and a snug. It was terrific, and the nearest I've seen to it was "The Greyhound" a canal-side pub in Longford,Coventry, though that has now been turned into a gentrified pub/restaurant for wine drinkers and the like, though it did used to host dominoes, darts,and cards, and where Olive would pull pints for proper drinkers.

Maytree? A poor man's Nevill. Of course the Nevill is now a poor mans Nevill too...:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here