Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Protester climbs onto crucible snooker table

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'm pretty sure most of these can be filed under "straw-man" or "things that are demonstrably happening".
Come now, everyone knows for a fact everything ever reported as a tabloid headline is both 100% true and entirely accurate as a quote, and never, ever spun to suit an agenda or to over-dramatise something

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
In
I'm pretty sure most of these can be filed under "straw-man" or "things that are demonstrably happening".
yeh probably - but did chuckle. I’m all for a better world for the future, I’m very much not for stupid protests like blocking the m25 or ruining thousands of people’s plans and trips out etc though - it’s utterly pathetic imo.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
That’s a bit of an insult to the Sufragettes, anti Apartheid movement and Watt Tyler. Actually it’s a major insult.
Is it?
All of those, legally speaking, committed criminal damage or worse in the name of a cause aimed at making the world/country a better place.
And plenty of their actions could be viewed as self defeating or absurd, even by people who agree with said cause.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No, but I can empathise with the people who bought a ticket and now had their evening ruined. All the hours of time wasted for organisers to rectify some pillocks daft protest.
Won’t somebody please think of the snooker schedule!!??

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Except it is not that simple is it.
Hang on, I’m going to go and grab some popcorn and get comfortable to properly enjoy the coming ham-fisted explanation as to why.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
View attachment 159803

Just got sent this - their previous predictions have been pretty accurate…?
I don't know how much of that is accurate, but doubtless there have been some edgy predictions.

That said, the effect of climate change is real and proven. Maybe sit down and have a chat with Sir David.

There was one thing that was noticeable during lockdown. The pollution rates. At one stage there was a mass of clean air over Europe. According to the governments own data, pollution causes 28,00-36,000 deaths annually. So, whether folk believe scare stories or not, it would be great to find a better way for a greener future. It just makes sense.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Have you no heart? Some SNOOKER got EVER SO SLIGHTLY DELAYED. Dear God, the humanity. People didn’t die in world wars to allow men knocking some balls around a table to be momentarily held up.
Ever so slightly delayed? That tables session got abandoned - there were people in hotels etc etc who’d spend hundreds of pounds to watch it and there was another muppet who tried to do the same to the other table. It will only turn people against them - keep the message going in other ways - not ruining people actually enjoying life…!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ever so slightly delayed? That tables session got abandoned - there were people in hotels etc etc who’d spend hundreds of pounds to watch it and there was another muppet who tried to do the same to the other table. It will only turn people against them - keep the message going in other ways - not ruining people actually enjoying life…!
Good grief. I had no idea they’d been as badly impacted as I was that time I went to a cricket match at Edgbaston and it rained.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Have you no heart? Some SNOOKER got EVER SO SLIGHTLY DELAYED. Dear God, the humanity. People didn’t die in world wars to allow men knocking some balls around a table to be momentarily held up.
Here is a hypothetical question for you. Imagine Brighton are winning on Sunday, and we get a dangerous freekick in the 88th minute. Protestors from Just Stop Oil, Extinction Rebellion or whoever storm the pitch and damage the goalposts.

What would your reaction be?

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Hang on, I’m going to go and grab some popcorn and get comfortable to properly enjoy the coming ham-fisted explanation as to why.

Rather than that, why don’t you tell us all what we’ll have to give up to make the better world in your picture?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just a reminder that every post here, the operation of this forum, the electricity used to power your device - all of these things are contributing to climate change. That sofa you’re sat on/bed you’re laid in/computer you’re sat at? Produced by means which contribute to climate change.
Not if you have solar panels or contribute to wind farms.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Here is a hypothetical question for you. Imagine Brighton are winning on Sunday, and we get a dangerous freekick in the 88th minute. Protestors from Just Stop Oil, Extinction Rebellion or whoever storm the pitch and damage the goalposts.

I’d be miffed. But I wouldn’t invent new laws with insane punishments as a result.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

If a game is abandoned after a certain number of minutes ( the exact number escapes me), the result stands.

Edit 60 minutes

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Good grief. I had no idea they’d been as badly impacted as I was that time I went to a cricket match at Edgbaston and it rained.
But the point is, that was an unstoppable unfortunate turn of events. This was a moronic person ruining an evening for thousands of people, let alone impacting the players and even potentially the outcome of a match and tournament if you want to drill right down - peoples jobs…

You think it’s a good thing that the guy did this?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Ok, I'll make an offer.

Anyone who supports this can join the protest. PM me some proof of address and I'll pop round your house and key the words "Just Stop Oil" into your car or bike.

If you grass me up you're an authoritarian climate change denier.
I don't own a car.
I also disapprove of the carbon footprint associated with your proposed action.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think you may be over-estimating the Crucible's capacity.
I meant those blocked on the M25 etc - like the ones who couldn’t get chemo or attend funerals etc etc.

I said thousands in above post to reflect the TV audiences etc etc

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Rather than that, why don’t you tell us all what we’ll have to give up to make the better world in your picture?
So you’re not going to justify your initial stance? I’m hugely disappointed.

What would I do? Well I’d support the full electrification of the UK railway network, heavy investment in making the UK road network more electric vehicle friendly, tax petrol cars once this is done, ban internal flights within the UK (excluding Northern Ireland), build high speed rail across the country and build more on and off-shore wind farms. So I would have to “give up” more tax money, but I think that’s a price worth paying to improve the nation.

Your turn.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here