Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Protein shakes and other supplements

Are protein shakes only worthwhile after weights or beneficial after cardio too?

There not needed as such. Again its just a quick source of food. Many people say to use BCAA's or Amino acid drinks for cardio but scientific research shows these to have little to no effect and will set you back £35 a tub. A shake would be a good way to get the nutrients into the muscle quickly yet it is not necessary.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Personally I have always found variation in the cardio to be the best way. Light Cardio is good for maintaining muscle mass plus if you are working at 65% of your MAX heart rate then you will burn fat as fuel thus keeping lean. HIIT for me seems to work best when lm in a cutting phase. It does burn glycogen aswell as fat for fuel so body builders tend to shy away from it incase they lose muscle, but thats a whole other story considering they attain there physiques using Steroids such as Anavar and Clenbuterol that practically burn fat and give you vascularity by simply just digesting them.

Best thing to do eat then do HIIT and the pounds do tend to fall off naturally because your metabolism is raised to a very high level.

Care to share your HIIT regime? Sounds like you know your stuff.

Care to share your HIIT regime? Sounds like you know your stuff.

Sure. I personally do zero cardio for 9 months of the year. They say you should do the 65% slow state stuff to stay lean but lifting 5 days per week and a good diet should do that. When I do cut, as I am now and have lost close to 20 pounds in 7 weeks (although did start off heavier than normal so more weight would have been lost) I use HIIT. My regime is very very basic because I don't want to burn muscle as fuel.

Monday: A.M. Hill Sprints, 10-12 sets with a 45 second rest in-between.
Tuesday:A.M. Jump Rope, 10-12 sets of 60-80 jumps with 45 seconds rest
Wednesday: A.M. 30 Mins Walk at 65% MHR
Thursday: A.M. Hill Sprints, 10-12 sets with a 45 second rest in-between
Friday: A.M. Jump Rope, 10-12 sets of 60-80 jumps with 45 seconds rest
Saturday: A.M. 30 Mins Walk at 65% MHR
Sunday: A.M. 30 Mins Walk at 65% MHR

NEVER do HIIT on an empty stomach. Like I said it burns fat and glycogen so in a fasted state you would burn off your muscle. You can do steady state stuff in a fasted state as that only burns fat for fuel yet the effects on the metabolism are lesser.

Monday-Friday, I also train weights in the evening, isolating a muscle group. My regime is pretty full on but again this is just for 2-3 months of the year, rest of the time I am lifting weights and doing zero Cardio. If you wanted something more weekly than the all out assault I do, then type " Tabata Intervals" into google. I used to do these when I was playing tennis to a high level before injury and was looking for strength/power and a low body fat percentage. Worked wonders for me. Alternatively, the jump rope/sprint session I do are basic and work!

D

Deleted member 2719

I have a mate that goes from 20ish stone of fat to 20ish stone of muscle,within what seems a few weeks while knocking these drinks back.

Surely it can't be good for you???

When i played footie it was have some pasta and cheese 3 hour prematch and i could run all day and then drink all night!

Stick to the pasta chaps.:thumbsup:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Sure. I personally do zero cardio for 9 months of the year. They say you should do the 65% slow state stuff to stay lean but lifting 5 days per week and a good diet should do that. When I do cut, as I am now and have lost close to 20 pounds in 7 weeks (although did start off heavier than normal so more weight would have been lost) I use HIIT. My regime is very very basic because I don't want to burn muscle as fuel.

Monday: A.M. Hill Sprints, 10-12 sets with a 45 second rest in-between.
Tuesday:A.M. Jump Rope, 10-12 sets of 60-80 jumps with 45 seconds rest
Wednesday: A.M. 30 Mins Walk at 65% MHR
Thursday: A.M. Hill Sprints, 10-12 sets with a 45 second rest in-between
Friday: A.M. Jump Rope, 10-12 sets of 60-80 jumps with 45 seconds rest
Saturday: A.M. 30 Mins Walk at 65% MHR
Sunday: A.M. 30 Mins Walk at 65% MHR

NEVER do HIIT on an empty stomach. Like I said it burns fat and glycogen so in a fasted state you would burn off your muscle. You can do steady state stuff in a fasted state as that only burns fat for fuel yet the effects on the metabolism are lesser.

Monday-Friday, I also train weights in the evening, isolating a muscle group. My regime is pretty full on but again this is just for 2-3 months of the year, rest of the time I am lifting weights and doing zero Cardio. If you wanted something more weekly than the all out assault I do, then type " Tabata Intervals" into google. I used to do these when I was playing tennis to a high level before injury and was looking for strength/power and a low body fat percentage. Worked wonders for me. Alternatively, the jump rope/sprint session I do are basic and work!

Cheers dude, I think I should get you to think of a good plan for me cause as you stated earlier, it is different for each person. For me, I am slim, 5'10 and want to put on muscle rather than lose weight. I am never gonna be bulky so would like to use my body shape to my advantage by getting proper lean muscle- I am thinking Brad Pitt in fight club! :)

I workout 3 times a week at the moment and am motivated so willing to put the time and effort in. What sort of regime would you suggest for someone of my physique? I am always cautious of doing cardio cause I worry that will impact trying to put on muscle.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Been using Promax Diet for ages. Had some great results with it in the first few months, when I was working with psycho Scottish athletes, but my personal discipline is horrendous, so it has waned according to my own hedonism since then. Sometimes I carry it on just for the placebo/motivational factor - if I know I'm taking the protein in, it's an incentive to go lift and eat/drink/smoke less.

Although, yesterday I randomnly found out Maximuscle is owned by GlaxoSmithKline, so I'm almost definitely not going to order any more. Will switch to MyProtein instant diet, it's cheaper anyway.

Weights-wise the only important things to remember are to keep your technique good (full range of movement - start fully outstretched) and always go to failure.

Cardio...I can't be arsed with MHR, monitors or anything over-complicating. On the treadmill I do intervals of a minute at 12kph, then a minute at 17kph, for 20 minutes. If I've got time after that I do a 4k hill run alternating between a 6% and 10% incline as fast as I can, then a 1k sprint as fast as I can at the end of that. Usually takes the total time up to an hour. Skipping, punchbags, medicine ball throws and kettlebells also hit the balance between muscle, tone and cardio.

**** me I've gone on a bit

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
thanks to this thread i spent £40 on supplements last night!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Cheers dude, I think I should get you to think of a good plan for me cause as you stated earlier, it is different for each person. For me, I am slim, 5'10 and want to put on muscle rather than lose weight. I am never gonna be bulky so would like to use my body shape to my advantage by getting proper lean muscle- I am thinking Brad Pitt in fight club! :)

I workout 3 times a week at the moment and am motivated so willing to put the time and effort in. What sort of regime would you suggest for someone of my physique? I am always cautious of doing cardio cause I worry that will impact trying to put on muscle.

Pretty much what I'm doing at the moment. Google 12 week body plan, that's what I'm following. I just saw the book in Tescos and started flicking through and it kind of felt appropriate, the bloke that did it was the same age and similar height, weight and body type to me and it all looked above board rather than trying to sell you supplements or designed for professional gym monkeys like most of the stuff in magazines is.

The hardest thing is following the diet, the workouts are easy if you like that kind of thing, it's enjoyable because they're so varied. It's as much a test of your organisation skills as it is your fitness. It has changed my diet forever, by cutting out bread, pasta, potatoes, coke and chocolate entirely I've realised that I was addicted to spikes in my blood sugar and by going cold turkey I know I don't need it. You have to get your body used to using fat as it's energy source and take on enough macronutrients to allow your muscles to repair after training. The lack of booze is a shitter but I'm skint at the moment so it's motivation to not blow money in the pub. I'm also going to start doing HIIT a few times a week to try and blast the last bit of my belly away, but I've been putting it off because it's cold outside and I'm a pussy!

No idea what's bullshit and what isn't, at the start I just planned to do it for a month and if I didn't see results I would change it, but 5 weeks in I look visibly in better shape so I'm going to stick with it for another 5 and see where I am. I know I'm not going to get the same results as the bloke in the book because I haven't got a personal trainer, nutritionist or gym (I hate the gym and most of the people in it!) but I can do 90% of the excercises with a bench, chinup bar and resistance bands in my spare room.

Jan 30, 2008
i have a mate that goes from 20ish stone of fat to 20ish stone of muscle,within what seems a few weeks while knocking these drinks back.

Surely it can't be good for you???

When i played footie it was have some pasta and cheese 3 hour prematch and i could run all day and then drink all night!

Stick to the pasta chaps.:thumbsup:
you know it makes sense :thumbsup:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here