Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Protein shakes and other supplements

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We, the cycling geeks, swear by Friji milkshake as a tip top post exercise recovery product.

Honest, it's brilliantly balanced without trying.

Waste of money or a necessary addition to your gym routine ?

If you want absolutely any info on sports supplements, keep them coming at me all day. I've worked in the industry for 3 years now, some blogs you may read online about supplements may well have been written by me. From protein to anabolic substances rest assured ill be able to answer your question. One thing I will say is this, a lot of it is a waste of money YES, some really are not and are an excellent tool. What I will also add is a lot of the stuff written already in the thread is incorrect. Ask me anything and ill get back to people.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
If you want absolutely any info on sports supplements, keep them coming at me all day. I've worked in the industry for 3 years now, some blogs you may read online about supplements may well have been written by me. From protein to anabolic substances rest assured ill be able to answer your question. One thing I will say is this, a lot of it is a waste of money YES, some really are not and are an excellent tool. What I will also add is a lot of the stuff written already in the thread is incorrect. Ask me anything and ill get back to people.

Yes but do you even lift? :moo:

Just eat healthy and you wont need any of this false shite !

This always seems to be the reply of someone unwilling to learn or hideously sceptical of exercise in general. What even is healthy eating? Three balanced meals per day? Most studies show that is even an incorrect way of eating and that 5-6 smaller meals would keep everybody's metabolism higher and body fat lower. May I also ask what you label as "false shite"?

Have you ever even looked at what say a Protein supplement is made out of? Simply put, Whey, the protein found in most tubs you see marketed is simply the protein taken from milk when you are making cheese, i.e. "Curds and Whey". The health benefits of Whey are greater than drinking milk as a pint as the sugars are extracted from it, leaving just the fast absorbed protein. It is as natural and "true" source of protein as you can get. The benefits of it replacing milk would be brilliant. 30 grams of sugar in a pint of milk, about 2 grams in a pint of whey.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
[MENTION=12215]murraymints4brighton[/MENTION] would you recommend the use of whey powders as part of a diet for someone who is training?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I would be very sceptical of anyone who claims to know "everything" there is to know about any subject.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I have a protein shake after swimming and also high EPA fish oil and greens+ vitamins. Protein shakes are simply just protein and science tells us they work but they are basically a meal replacement. If you can eat a lean diet full of protein you won't particularly need them but I struggle getting enough calories in my day so find it helpful.

You just need simple protein you can get from myprotein.co.uk all that stuff you can get in places like holland and Barrett are expensive and uneccessary.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Test me I'm pretty good.

No offence but I genuinely don't havethat many questions about Protein powder, although having said that, and it's not a test, but in your opinion, what is the tastiest high protein food (not suppliment). I'm looking to vary my diet a bit and asking folks for suggestions.

[MENTION=12215]murraymints4brighton[/MENTION] would you recommend the use of whey powders as part of a diet for someone who is training?

Yes. Whey is the most easily absorbed by the body. The time in which you would need to consume Whey is directly after your weights session. It can of course be used at other points in the day, in the morning is the other time I personally use Whey as your metabolism is at it's lowest when you wake, so feeding your muscles with something that digests quickly is a sensible thing to do.

Whey should be an important part of your diet. After training, aim to consume 20-30g of Whey, alongside 40-60g of simple sugars, i.e. Glucose. And YES, the sugars are equally as important as the protein post Training. Why? Because the stores of glycogen in your body are seriously depleted as fuel during training. If you don't replace them, then the body will convert the protein you need to replenish your blood glucose levels.

So to summarise. Whey is a big yes from me. When to take it? After training is a must with simple sugars and again once in the morning. This supplement here CNP Pro Recover (1.28 kg) is a good tasting all in one for after training.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yes. Whey is the most easily absorbed by the body. The time in which you would need to consume Whey is directly after your weights session. It can of course be used at other points in the day, in the morning is the other time I personally use Whey as your metabolism is at it's lowest when you wake, so feeding your muscles with something that digests quickly is a sensible thing to do.

Whey should be an important part of your diet. After training, aim to consume 20-30g of Whey, alongside 40-60g of simple sugars, i.e. Glucose. And YES, the sugars are equally as important as the protein post Training. Why? Because the stores of glycogen in your body are seriously depleted as fuel during training. If you don't replace them, then the body will convert the protein you need to replenish your blood glucose levels.

So to summarise. Whey is a big yes from me. When to take it? After training is a must with simple sugars and again once in the morning. This supplement here CNP Pro Recover (1.28 kg) is a good tasting all in one for after training.

Cheers, I appreciate your time.

No offence but I genuinely don't havethat many questions about Protein powder, although having said that, and it's not a test, but in your opinion, what is the tastiest high protein food (not suppliment). I'm looking to vary my diet a bit and asking folks for suggestions.

None taken, funny question for me because my diet is genuinely so bland. I get all the macronutrients from things that are good quality and cheap, so a mix of Chicken or Tuna, with rice and vegetables. Things that do tend to taste nice protein wise are some selections of the bars and when you mix in particular casein protein into some kind of pancake or brownie thing. But again they are supplements.

As a snack I like eating those packs of beef jerky, which you can find quite cheap on bodybuilding.com. Also for breakfast, I've found the easiest way to get the protein/carbs in is to blend both oats/eggs together, add a little sweetener, add some blueberries, cook in a pan as a pancake for about 5 mins with a little olive oil or butter, then add some honey. Works well for me and is a little different to force feeding myself cooked eggs and porridge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here