Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Protein shakes and other supplements

hastings

Jan 15, 2010
Suffolk
Yes. Whey is the most easily absorbed by the body. The time in which you would need to consume Whey is directly after your weights session. It can of course be used at other points in the day, in the morning is the other time I personally use Whey as your metabolism is at it's lowest when you wake, so feeding your muscles with something that digests quickly is a sensible thing to do.

Whey should be an important part of your diet. After training, aim to consume 20-30g of Whey, alongside 40-60g of simple sugars, i.e. Glucose. And YES, the sugars are equally as important as the protein post Training. Why? Because the stores of glycogen in your body are seriously depleted as fuel during training. If you don't replace them, then the body will convert the protein you need to replenish your blood glucose levels.

So to summarise. Whey is a big yes from me. When to take it? After training is a must with simple sugars and again once in the morning. This supplement here CNP Pro Recover (1.28 kg) is a good tasting all in one for after training.

So I use a supplement from my protein and generally consume it twice/three times a day. Your comment about sugars is something which I didn't necessarily know, however, being a diabetic, see this is an issue. Any suggestions?

Mutant Mass , Jack3D, Reflex Crepure Creatine, omega 3 tas & Vit tabs are all a must for me.

Do you use the old Jakc3d or the new Jack3d micro? One thing I would say is if your using the old (now banned) version for your own health stop. The geranium root stem they put in it and into many other pre workouts like Hemo Rage, 1 M.R.P, Dorian Yates Nox Pump is very, very bad for your heart and your mind. It has been linked to causing mental health problems and heart murmurs. There is conclusive evidence for both.

Another thing with it is it actually dilates the red blood vessels, the complete opposite of what a pre workout should do.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
None taken, funny question for me because my diet is genuinely so bland. I get all the macronutrients from things that are good quality and cheap, so a mix of Chicken or Tuna, with rice and vegetables. Things that do tend to taste nice protein wise are some selections of the bars and when you mix in particular casein protein into some kind of pancake or brownie thing. But again they are supplements.

As a snack I like eating those packs of beef jerky, which you can find quite cheap on bodybuilding.com. Also for breakfast, I've found the easiest way to get the protein/carbs in is to blend both oats/eggs together, add a little sweetener, add some blueberries, cook in a pan as a pancake for about 5 mins with a little olive oil or butter, then add some honey. Works well for me and is a little different to force feeding myself cooked eggs and porridge.

All good ideas. Cheers mate

Red Side Of Sussex

Jul 25, 2009
No offence but I genuinely don't havethat many questions about Protein powder, although having said that, and it's not a test, but in your opinion, what is the tastiest high protein food (not suppliment). I'm looking to vary my diet a bit and asking folks for suggestions.

If you want a tasty high quality super food packed with amino acids and worldly goodness then get yourself some quinoa.
Quinoa has been eaten by humans for 5000 years and is proven.

I make quinoa and add a little evaporated milk,it's just like rice pudding but extremely good for you.

So I use a supplement from my protein and generally consume it twice/three times a day. Your comment about sugars is something which I didn't necessarily know, however, being a diabetic, see this is an issue. Any suggestions?

I would say for yourself it works both ways. Only add the sugar after training first and foremost. In relation to the diabetes if you are training at the moment and not having a carb source and just protein have you not experienced low blood sugars prior to training? The only answer to this for yourself is trial and error. You will need to balance how much insulin you take with your body's need for sugars. It will be perfectly safe for you to add sugar to your shake as your blood sugar levels are again severely depleted through exercise, so what I would say is perhaps experiment?

Test your blood sugars post training having consumed just a whey drink with no sugar. The next day add 20g of glucose to your shake. Increase 10g per day and keep testing those sugars. My brother has type one diabetes and I am sure you understand he will know how much insulin he needs for specific times. It really is trialling what works best for yourself, there isn't really a set guideline of this much of this and this much of that.

To summarise, you do need sugars in the shake. I hope this helps.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
Do you use the old Jakc3d or the new Jack3d micro? One thing I would say is if your using the old (now banned) version for your own health stop. The geranium root stem they put in it and into many other pre workouts like Hemo Rage, 1 M.R.P, Dorian Yates Nox Pump is very, very bad for your heart and your mind. It has been linked to causing mental health problems and heart murmurs. There is conclusive evidence for both.

Another thing with it is it actually dilates the red blood vessels, the complete opposite of what a pre workout should do.

I was using the old one but then it got banned as you know, so I gave the micro ago which did nothing for me, so im now on a tub I got off a friend who stocked up on the original, but I've been hearing some good things about AllMax razor 8 blast powder, so i'll give that a try next.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Grenade pre-workout, BCAAs, creatine and whey at the moment. Diet is about 200g protein and no carbs except for vegetables.

Primarily trying to reduce body fat while keeping some shape, as I was becoming a bit of a skinny fat person. In 5 weeks I'm a kilo heavier, but dropped about 4% bodyfat and 2" from the waist, so happy with how it's going so far. Got about 4 or 5% bodyfat to go.

Forgot to say, I take vitamins, omega-3 tabs and green tea every morning if that counts.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
This was the whole point of me starting the thread, really to just expose what is a waste of money and what isn't.

I do use creatine and alternate various whey and recovery products from MyProtein this together with a healthy diet works for me.

Can't go far wrong with popping into Performance Foods next to the Tesco by George st and having a chat with them. They generally know their stuff without bullshiting you.

D

Deleted member 18477

Yes. Whey is the most easily absorbed by the body. The time in which you would need to consume Whey is directly after your weights session. It can of course be used at other points in the day, in the morning is the other time I personally use Whey as your metabolism is at it's lowest when you wake, so feeding your muscles with something that digests quickly is a sensible thing to do.

Whey should be an important part of your diet. After training, aim to consume 20-30g of Whey, alongside 40-60g of simple sugars, i.e. Glucose. And YES, the sugars are equally as important as the protein post Training. Why? Because the stores of glycogen in your body are seriously depleted as fuel during training. If you don't replace them, then the body will convert the protein you need to replenish your blood glucose levels.

So to summarise. Whey is a big yes from me. When to take it? After training is a must with simple sugars and again once in the morning. This supplement here CNP Pro Recover (1.28 kg) is a good tasting all in one for after training.

This is one theory yes. I'm personally part of the intermittent fasting craze and workout before work and then consume nothing until lunch each day. So my post workout meal is a good 4 hours after my workout finishes. I still consume the exact same amount of protein and carbs in a day. For me.. I feel this is the strongest, leanest and most focussed I've ever been. My metabolism is fine... Workout + water. **** breakfast!

The best advice I can offer anyone on here is... Do what works best for YOU!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The best advice I can offer anyone on here is... Do what works best for YOU!

Was about to quote the bloke who put about bad advice and write something similar.

Whenever anyone starts talking about training or diet, on here or in real life, you will always get a load of people telling you it's wrong or giving different advice. There is more than one way to skin a cat, the trick is to find out what works for you. The most important thing is to be in tune with what your body is telling you and work out for yourself if you're doing something wrong or wasting your time.

Personally I wouldn't dream of doing what you do, but if it works :thumbsup:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Are protein shakes only worthwhile after weights or beneficial after cardio too?

D

Deleted member 18477

Was about to quote the bloke who put about bad advice and write something similar.

Whenever anyone starts talking about training or diet, on here or in real life, you will always get a load of people telling you it's wrong or giving different advice. There is more than one way to skin a cat, the trick is to find out what works for you. The most important thing is to be in tune with what your body is telling you and work out for yourself if you're doing something wrong or wasting your time.

Personally I wouldn't dream of doing what you do, but if it works :thumbsup:

Exactly mate. I personally hate having to eat 6 small meals in a day. I find I eat more. IF has helped me eat the right amount of calories and get stronger and more cut. Some would find it hell though which is fair enough.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Interesting thread, keep them coming. I personally use protein and creatine as a pure supplement. Never replace a meal with one is my only advice. Gives me some proper bad farts though!!!!

I would keep away from light cardio full stop. Interval training (HIIT) is the way to go, and yes after HIIT I have a protein shake with sugar.

Personally I have always found variation in the cardio to be the best way. Light Cardio is good for maintaining muscle mass plus if you are working at 65% of your MAX heart rate then you will burn fat as fuel thus keeping lean. HIIT for me seems to work best when lm in a cutting phase. It does burn glycogen aswell as fat for fuel so body builders tend to shy away from it incase they lose muscle, but thats a whole other story considering they attain there physiques using Steroids such as Anavar and Clenbuterol that practically burn fat and give you vascularity by simply just digesting them.

Best thing to do eat then do HIIT and the pounds do tend to fall off naturally because your metabolism is raised to a very high level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here