Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Propper going back to PSV **Confirmed 23/06**

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
What's all this Wiltshere business though?

Born and raised in henfield . Have ended up living in Wiltshire, due to work.
We are back in henfield quite a lot to see family and Albion games (pre covid and kids ).
That neck of the woods is the best part of the best county IMO.
I’d love to live there again . Not cowfold obvs

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We are back in henfield quite a lot to see family and Albion games (pre covid and kids ).

Yep l quite agree, there is nowhere quite like home. Don't worry about the last bit, we are thinking about blocking off the A281 at Shermanbury to keep you lot out anyway! :wink:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It is a good move for all parties but I'm not comfortable with the reportw that Albion are accepting a considerably lower offer than the €10 million we quoted PSV for him. This is a very dangerous precedent to set if you're giving a discount; would we let Biss or White leave for say 30% less than the asking price? I don't think so, and they mkght have a problem with that.

The only justification for doing PSV a favour is if it meant they'd take Ali J off our hands too.

Davy was a good signing and has been a model pro, an important player in the development of the club. Big respect to Davy, and good luck to him for the future.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
It is a good move for all parties but I'm not comfortable with the reportw that Albion are accepting a considerably lower offer than the €10 million we quoted PSV for him. This is a very dangerous precedent to set if you're giving a discount; would we let Biss or White leave for say 30% less than the asking price? I don't think so, and they mkght have a problem with that.

The only justification for doing PSV a favour is if it meant they'd take Ali J off our hands too.

Davy was a good signing and has been a model pro, an important player in the development of the club. Big respect to Davy, and good luck to him for the future.

We have way too many players though, and we need to shift a few. Off the top of my head, that likely includes Propper, Ali J, Tau, Ryan, Duffy, Bernardo, Locadia, Andone, most of whom will be on first team wages. So the negotiating is very different to one of your best first team players that you want to keep.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

Not really. We need to trim the squad and wage bill..

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Moved there a couple of months ago from Brighton and LOVE IT!
Clean, quiet, people say “hello” as they pass and happily spend the time of day for a chat. It has soil. It has a nice old church with a wonderful weathervane, a nice peel of bells on the quarter hour and a clock we can see from the garden. It has a real community, good local shops and tradespeople. It’s not a million miles to get back of we absolutely have to.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Will be sad to see him go for no other reasons than

a) he was my son's "player" when he was a masot and
b) the "never gives the ball away" song we sang non stop at Old Trafford in the first season has now lost both its protagonists (ironically because, under Pottterball, give the ball away is what they did)

Good luck and thank you Davy Petrus Wenceslas Henri

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

if you put an asking price, thats the starting point for negotiations. buyer comes in with a lower offer and if no one is coming in (low demand), one accepts. in the case of top, younger players we dont put out an asking price, and as there is demand, the price will rise.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

How do you know we quoted PSV 10m?
It is usually the case that a selling club has a higher valuation than the buying club, and they negotiate a compromise.
As others have said, we need to ship out eight or so players this window. When that's the case, the better players are the earliest to go.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
We have way too many players though, and we need to shift a few. Off the top of my head, that likely includes Propper, Ali J, Tau, Ryan, Duffy, Bernardo, Locadia, Andone, most of whom will be on first team wages. So the negotiating is very different to one of your best first team players that you want to keep.

Agreed, Brian Owen alluded to need to reduce wages of playing not getting game time and where possible to get fees for them. This looks like a chance to get say 4 million and save on the wages and move on. We have had 3-4 years out of him and its time to move on. I would imagine the approach will be the same re Ryan, Duffy, Bernardo etc. These are the players we no longer need or want so selling at a discount is acceptable. However it certainly is nothing like the situation involving White/Bissouma/Lamptey etc as these are players we have no desire to sell and if we do it will be at premium price.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
One of the highest profile signings in the club's history
Over 100 top flight appearances
Played at Wembley for The Albion
Served the club very well
Oozed class
Returning 'home' with some good playing years ahead of him and, hopefully, a tidy sum of money tucked away for a long happy life.

Cheers Davy.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
a fabulous signing and his amount of games shows the value he has been to us. However I am a big fan of player development and keeping him may hinder our future stars so if we get a suitable price then letting him go to get more game time is ideal

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If you look at Premier League era players for us, I’d put him in the same bracket as the likes of Duffy, Stephens and Ryan. Dunk, Murray, Bissouma & Groß are probably a level up in terms of quality and the amount of matches played along with what they have given to the side but Davy has been a brilliant servant to the club.

cant agree, all those players contributed with winning points , .last dich tackles , assists , goals , saves

Still not sure what Proper did other than an amazing outside of the foot pass every 4th game.

Didn't have any bite , wasnt rapid , couldnt shoot , barely assisted , barely scored.

He was in there and we survived but he was a hindrance most the time for me

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
cant agree, all those players contributed with winning points , .last dich tackles , assists , goals , saves

Still not sure what Proper did other than an amazing outside of the foot pass every 4th game.

Didn't have any bite , wasnt rapid , couldnt shoot , barely assisted , barely scored.

Keeping possession of the ball, not high up your list of useful things to do on a football pitch?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ten million Euros sounds like a very good price for a player who no longer features in the team - if anyone will pay that. How much did we pay for him in the first place? It wasn't a huge fee, wsit?

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire

Yes but he had lovely hair, so there was that.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Keeping possession of the ball, not high up your list of useful things to do on a football pitch?

The fact its taken 4 years and Bissouma to keep him out of the side .. . . . he's handled more plasma hot potatoes than anyone else I'd say. all of our other players used him as a get out of jail free card.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

Blimey. May as well just get a 'I don't really like football' hat.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

I’m with you. I don’t get the Propper love in at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here