Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prometheus - FINALLY, a true sequel to Alien

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You're right that it's trillions, but I think that's more down to her character not being one of the scientists (or pilots) and so just getting it wrong, rather than the scriptwriters not knowing...?

A bit of a conundrum. Its not until Weyland and Vickers finish their one to one conversation that she refers to him as "Father". Is she his biological daughter or is she an android ?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Saw it in iMax 3D, it is the most visually stunning film. The fact that blondie called him father appears to be irrelevant, as in the next scene the ship fell on her! Why do people in films always run away down the line of the thing that's falling on them, instead of running a few steps sideways.
Just one complaint, there was no, made you jump, moment, or am I just brave?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Saw it in iMax 3D, it is the most visually stunning film. The fact that blondie called him father appears to be irrelevant, as in the next scene the ship fell on her! Why do people in films always run away down the line of the thing that's falling on them, instead of running a few steps sideways.
Just one complaint, there was no, made you jump, moment, or am I just brave?

I can't remember exactly which they were, but the friends I went with well vouch that for me, there were two very obvious jump out of my skin moments.

. Still think it is a genius movie.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I can't remember exactly which they were, but the friends I went with well vouch that for me, there were two very obvious jump out of my skin moments.

. Still think it is a genius movie.

Ridley Scott does good stuff! Noomi was also one of the good things about it, which surprised me after her not as good as the original, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I saw it on friday and was very disappointed. It started off brilliantly but got progressively worse and tame.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
the more I think about this feel, I think its one of those 2001 space Odyssey type films, people will always talk about it and try to get its meaning, i now cannot wait for the follow up to answer some of the same questions around Alien such as: what is that alien in the seat about? How did the it get infected by the chest burster? What happened to the derelict ship and what was it doing on that planet?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Saw it yesterday. Thought it was visually stunning but was predictable in places and left a lot of questions unanswered.

Any idea what was happening at the beginning when the engineer drank that stuff and disintegrated?

I think that the drink smashed up his DNA into its constituent amino acids, which are the building blocks of life. Thus suggesting that was the cause of life on Earth.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Ridley Scott does good stuff! Noomi was also one of the good things about it, which surprised me after her not as good as the original, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

She is in the original (swedish) TGWTDT, which is way better than the Daniel Craig version released the back end of last year.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think that the drink smashed up his DNA into its constituent amino acids, which are the building blocks of life. Thus suggesting that was the cause of life on Earth.

That's how I saw it. There is a theory that within the Engineer race, there are the creators (wearing hoods) and the warriors (wearing the body armour) and they potentially are on different sides when it comes to seeding life on planets such as earth (something we may see in any sequel?)

kano

Jun 17, 2011
I thought it was pretty good but in a few places peoples motives weren't really made clear and it left me with too many questions.

Why did the robot guy put the stuff in his drink? Why didn't it disintegrate him when he drank it? Why did the engineer drink the stuff that killed him at the start? What are the engineers playing at storing that stuff in containers that it just leaks out of?

What exactly is it anyway? For "THE ENGINEERS" It seems a remarkably uncontrolled and shit way to make new life just dashing that stuff on a planet and then coming back years later and seeing what went down.

It was good and i will see the inevitable next one but in my opinion its not good storytelling to leave too many unanswered questions.

edit to change "THE ARCHITECTS" to "THE ENGINEERS"

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I thought it was pretty good but in a few places peoples motives weren't really made clear and it left me with too many questions.

Why did the robot guy put the stuff in his drink? Why didn't it disintegrate him when he drank it? Why did the engineer drink the stuff that killed him at the start? What are the engineers playing at storing that stuff in containers that it just leaks out of?

What exactly is it anyway? For "THE ARCHITECTS" It seems a remarkably uncontrolled and shit way to make new life just dashing that stuff on a planet and then coming back years later and seeing what went down.

It was good and i will see the inevitable next one but in my opinion its not good storytelling to leave too many unanswered questions.

Ridley Scott has said that the DVD will contain (either as deleted scenes or a longer cut) up to 20 minutes of footage that didn't make it into the theatrical cut. I would suggest that the problems with odd motivations and strange story jumps might be explained in the longer format.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Ridley Scott has said that the DVD will contain (either as deleted scenes or a longer cut) up to 20 minutes of footage that didn't make it into the theatrical cut. I would suggest that the problems with odd motivations and strange story jumps might be explained in the longer format.

He'll need more than 20 mins for that. Hopefully it'll include the Jesus storyline.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
In an interview, Ridley suggested the reason the Engineers wanted to destroy the humans they designed was due to the fact they sent down Jesus to look after us and we crucified him. Hence the reference to the engineers dying roughly 2000 years ago. He said there is a bit in the original script that reference the Jesus stroyline but he decided not to film it.

Here y'go.

Movies.com: We had heard it was scripted that the Engineers were targeting our planet for destruction because we had crucified one of their representatives, and that Jesus Christ might have been an alien. Was that ever considered?

Ridley Scott: We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose. But if you look at it as an “our children are misbehaving down there” scenario, there are moments where it looks like we’ve gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, "Let's send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it." Guess what? They crucified him.

Also, presumably this has been linked already, but there are more theories here:
cavalorn: Prometheus Unbound: What The Movie Was Actually About

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
The beginning is spectacular, but then it seems to get a little bit strange and predictable, good film though.

kano

Jun 17, 2011

I thought that while I was watching it.... I also thought that if you make a movie costing god knows how much and the version that made it into cinemas isn't a version that Ridley Effing Scott thinks tells the story properly then there is no hope for the movie industry with such incredible stupidity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here