Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
*bleep bloop bleep*

-SCANNING FOR SARCASM-

*bleeeblooblee*

Inconclusive.

Indeed! Joking aside though, in a funny sort of late Friday night vegetating on the sofa, I did actually find Alien v Predator watchable, and probably better than some of the later Alien films themselves. That isn't to say it was good though!

This new offering from Ridley Scott does look excellent though. Blade Runner perhaps still one of my favourite sic-fi films of all, and this appears to have a real visual richness about it.

I guess the last sci-fi film I really enjoyed personally was Serenity, which was a great companion to the excellent Firefly series.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Anybody seen it yet?

Guy I work with saw it last night and was hugely disappointed, but he is a bell end.

i think this happens a lot with hyped films when you spend loads of time before hand reading fan forums and blogs etc. you fill your head with ideas and expectations, you create a vision of the film you want to see.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Anybody seen it yet?

Guy I work with saw it last night and was hugely disappointed, but he is a bell end.

Going tonight... will report back tomorrow.

Alien was one of the only two films that have ever given me sleepless nights (I was about 11 and had to go to bed with ALL the lights on!) - bizzarely the other was American Werewolf in London (the early dream sequences when he's starting to change).
I'd really like to see something that gets me on the edge of my seat like first Alien did!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Just seen it in IMAX 3d in Crawley. Stunning.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Every review I have read on this film has rated it average at best. Always daft to cream yourself over a film trailer that takes the best 60 seconds of a 120 min movie.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Viewers

IMDB viewers 8.1
IMDB critics, METASCORE 63%

Rotten Tomatoes 79%
Rotten Tomatoes viewers 8.6
Rotten Tomatoes critics 69%

Last edited:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I went yesterday and feel perhaps my expectations may have been set too high - result being - Disappointed!

If you go hoping to see loads of chest explosions and visuals of the "Alien", you wont see them.

This is more a story about the human species being created by some aliens (the Space Jockeys), interestingly the end leaves a clear opening for a follow up when the leading actress is searching for their home planet!

Mungo_Jerry

Sep 27, 2011
Saw it on Saturday. Looks stunning but ultimately disappointing. I just didn't get it - either I totally missed the point or there really isn't a storyline to mention.

I'm sure someone with hairy palms will now point out that I'm a cretin who missed the deeper meaning of it all but I was expecting it to be a least a bit scary and have some action in it. It's almost like they made this to set up the REAL Alien prequel in the next film.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Saw it on Saturday. Looks stunning but ultimately disappointing. I just didn't get it - either I totally missed the point or there really isn't a storyline to mention.

I'm sure someone with hairy palms will now point out that I'm a cretin who missed the deeper meaning of it all but I was expecting it to be a least a bit scary and have some action in it. It's almost like they made this to set up the REAL Alien prequel in the next film.

From my understanding - The Space Jockey at the start fell into the sea creating life on mother earth, later on in the film it looked as if the Space Jockeys were then on this random planet testing weapons of mass destruction to kill off the Human race they originally created. The weapons being the first stages of the "Alien", this killed off the space jockeys and the leading actress now wants answers..... Awaits to be corrected

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Way to go with the spoilers [MENTION=1261]Northstander[/MENTION]

I've just got back and really enjoyed it. Anyone expecting an Aliens mk2 will be disappointed, its not an all-out action flick (although there are some spectacular set-pieces, and a scene that knocks the chestburster into a tin hat). It raises some interesting theories though, and answers a lot of questions from the exploring scenes in Alien - in fact having just bought the boxset on blu-ray, I think I might pay Alien another visit tonight.

Oh, and its the 2nd film I've seen in 3D (after Avatar). Well worth the extra couple of quid, some of the sets were truley spectacular.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've had a few hours to mull it over and I think it's brilliant. It's definitely not alien 2, but within it's own storyline it's very good. On IMAX 3d it was incredible and the 3d was very immersive. Sets up the sequel nicely.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Going tonight. Loved Alien. Didn't care for the sequels. Am giving Prometheus a go as Ridley is back on board and the story is heading off in an entirely new direction. I'm not expecting an Alien prequel per se so let's see where we end up? Should be fun.

salazar

Jun 15, 2008
Haywards Heath
Went this morning in Crawley with my expectations not too high,not in the same mould as the original but in many ways takes it on a step or two.If you go in with an open mind i think you will really enjoy it.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Visually it is absolutely stunning. There's enough meat in the plot to make it more than a popcorn night out. That's not to say it's flawless but I'm thinking minor niggles only. Well worth the price of admission.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Having viewed and analysed the specimen your kind are debating, my thoughts result in one conclusion: disappointing

(to be read in your best Fassbender android accent)

I didn't find it in the slightest bit frightening but then nothing will ever frighten me again after watching The Road last week which nicely wraps up ANY of these end-of-the-world-is-nigh films.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but not many directors do sci-fi like this.

Its another quality slab of Ridley Scottage.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but not many directors do sci-fi like this.

Its another quality slab of Ridley Scottage.

Not many directors have a sci-fi budget of $130m either. Money well spent in design most certainly, not a moment of error in the look of it. The script was a sometime disservice, though, and some of the narrative was misguidedly nonsensical causing a certain lack of suspense. Of course it's near-impossible to mirror the panic-inducing slow-slither of the original, or kill the wish for the alien him-or-herself to burst onto the scene and run riot throughout the intergalactic perfection lain, but i get the feel it could have been edited better, as the weave was unsettled.
Still, a million times better than what McG could have come up with. And the Fassbender was coolly cold, which is always a blessing. After Shame, and being still shaken by his manhood, i supposed pictorially inside of the Fass in this with a detachable swiss army penis, the corkscrew and nail scissors his most dangerous cockpart weapons there to skewer and gut any otherworldly nemesis.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here