Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Prince Andrew interviewed about allegations

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm fairly sure he will be George VII. He has four names so can choose which one he wants, like his grandfather did. He was Bertie (Albert) but chose to be George VI.

You raise an interesting point. Does the monarch have to choose one of their given names? A very quick google search reveals that all three (I would have guessed there had been more) monarchs who did not use their first given name when they came to the throne did use one of their given names, but I haven't found anything saying that they HAVE to. Could he be King Wayne if he wanted?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I dont think the Royals will last long with King Charles and the mistress Queen Camilla. There just isnt the public affection for him, he's stuffy and out of touch and his Mrs is an old battleaxe.

If the Royals are to survive and flourish, moving straight to King William and Queen Catherine is their best chance.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You raise an interesting point. Does the monarch have to choose one of their given names? A very quick google search reveals that all three (I would have guessed there had been more) monarchs who did not use their first given name when they came to the throne did use one of their given names, but I haven't found anything saying that they HAVE to. Could he be King Wayne if he wanted?

I think (but cannot swear to it) it has to be one of the names given at the christening. As head of the CofE, it makes sense.

So Charles Philip Arthur George could be King Arthur if he chose to be.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I doubt it. A president would be an individual. I can’t see us finding a presidents sons legal settlement from public funds. That probably a bad example but let’s face it a president would be strutised and held to account to the same rules as other public service figure.

Queenie and her hangers on are in their own league when it comes to what rules they need to follow. For example is the duchy of Cornwall/Lancaster a private or public owned entity. It’s private when they want it to be and public when they don’t want to pay tax on it’s income.

Copied and pasted from the DuchyofCornwall.org
https://duchyofcornwall.org/frequently-asked-questions.html

Does The Duke of Cornwall pay tax on the income from the Duchy?
Yes. Like everyone else, The Prince of Wales pays income tax including on his income from the Duchy of Cornwall. This is not a requirement but something His Royal Highness chooses to do voluntarily.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Copied and pasted from the DuchyofCornwall.org
https://duchyofcornwall.org/frequently-asked-questions.html

Does The Duke of Cornwall pay tax on the income from the Duchy?
Yes. Like everyone else, The Prince of Wales pays income tax including on his income from the Duchy of Cornwall. This is not a requirement but something His Royal Highness chooses to do voluntarily.

It says that but if you ask for records of that via the freedom on information act it gets refused. So which is it? Private or public? It certainly doesn’t pay corporation tax.

He also receives all funds allocated to him for people living in Cornwall who doesn’t have a will in place. Ordinarily this goes to the treasury. In Cornwall straight to Charles.

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It says that but if you ask for records of that via the freedom on information act it gets refused. So which is it? Private or public?

He also receives all funds allocated to him for people living in Cornwall who doesn’t have a will in place. Ordinarily this goes to the treasury. In Cornwall straight to Charles.
Wtf?

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I dont think the Royals will last long with King Charles and the mistress Queen Camilla. There just isnt the public affection for him, he's stuffy and out of touch and his Mrs is an old battleaxe.

If the Royals are to survive and flourish, moving straight to King William and Queen Catherine is their best chance.

I think Charles has an important role to play. He could make significant changes without having to live with the consequences for too long, i.e. slim down the monarchy, cut those on the payroll, maybe define some of those grey areas re tax, and then pass on a much more manageable, open "firm" to William and Kate.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
All of it really but the last bit

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

In Cornwall, when an individual dies with no will or surviving relatives their property (or 'estate') passes to The Duke of Cornwall. The same is true on the dissolution of a company registered in Cornwall where any remaining assets pass to The Duke of Cornwall. This is known as bona vacantia.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I doubt it. A president would be an individual. I can’t see us finding a presidents sons legal settlement from public funds. That probably a bad example but let’s face it a president would be strutised and held to account to the same rules as other public service figure.

dont think you've been keeping up with recent politics. :rolleyes:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
It says that but if you ask for records of that via the freedom on information act it gets refused. So which is it? Private or public? It certainly doesn’t pay corporation tax.

it goes to the Duchy not to Charles personally. reckon you know this and deliberatly conflating the two to labour a point. its like a company and the CEO, and in this case the company is just another arm of the state. iirc aquired houses go to local tenants under the Duchy rather than auctioned off to higher bidder as Treasury favours.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It isn’t a corporation so no liable for corporation tax. Any capital gains tax is invested back into the Duchy not his personal gain.

It has also been in the royal family since 1337 from Edward Iii.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

the way the Express and Mail have accepted Camilla after trial by media ordeal, reckon you're reading the mood wrong. there might not be as much affection for Charles as Elizabeth but he's not disliked. there's a lot of baggage but then theres some progressive views too. quite funny really, some object to him then others complain about his green views and objections to development. they arent going to jump straight to William, as that defeats the point of the process.

Last edited:

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
it goes to the Duchy not to Charles personally. reckon you know this and deliberatly conflating the two to labour a point. its like a company and the CEO, and in this case the company is just another arm of the state. iirc aquired houses go to local tenants under the Duchy rather than auctioned off to higher bidder as Treasury favours.

It goes directly to the duke of Cornwall. The duchy website says it does.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
It isn’t a corporation so no liable for corporation tax. Any capital gains tax is invested back into the Duchy not his personal gain.

It has also been in the royal family since 1337 from Edward Iii.

The Duchy is a corporation that isn't incorporated, a company that isn't registered, it trades like any other business yet refuses to pay tax and enjoys unique legal privileges.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Admittedly, I've not particularly made a point of asking widely, but I don't sense any deep-seated national affection for William and Kate. They are pretty anonymous and neither appear to have any discernable personality. William is about as charismatic as a tree stump whilst Kate is about as 'regal' as, well, any of the rest of us I suppose. I can see their reign being one that is benignly tolerated rather than actively embraced.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

All estates from intestate deaths with no surviving relatives go ultimately to The Crown. The Duchy must have special dibs over Cornish deaths.

https://www.gov.uk/inherits-someone-dies-without-will

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here