Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Prince Andrew interviewed about allegations

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The Royal family cost each of us 77p per year. That is outstanding value for money for all the good they do.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Exactly. The tourists show up at Buck House. They probably don't know how to tell if Brenda is at home and they aren't going to get a chat even if she is. The visitors to the Tower of London don't pay their admission to see Brenda. They show up to see the baubles and learn about the queens who had their heads lopped off.

It is a total fallacy to suggest that tourists only come to the UK because of the queen. It's the argument used by the ever diminishing number of royalists who have to have something to cling to in order to preserve this totally outdated system of "privilege by birth"

Buck House "Former Home of the British Royal Family", the tourists go to Varseilles and they will still come here.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Balance sheet wise, does the Queen bring in more to the treasury than she costs?

Those arguments are usually based around "tourism", but they have no basis in reality because they were created by a PR firm (not economists) self promoting itself.

The reality is that more tourists visit Versailles every year than the total amount visit any Royal Palace in the UK.

Whether we should have an unelected Head of State and how it is funded is a debate in itself.

Linking it to tourism is nonsense.

In any case, we will see huge changes with King Charles. The whole thing will be massively scaled back.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Exactly. The tourists show up at Buck House. They probably don't know how to tell if Brenda is at home and they aren't going to get a chat even if she is. The visitors to the Tower of London don't pay their admission to see Brenda. They show up to see the baubles and learn about the queens who had their heads lopped off.

It is a total fallacy to suggest that tourists only come to the UK because of the queen. It's the argument used by the ever diminishing number of royalists who have to have something to cling to in order to preserve this totally outdated system of "privilege by birth"

If she wasn't actually living there loads of it could be opened up to visitors who would pay an arm and a leg to look round. Roll up, £50 for your photo on the throne etc etc. Maybe turn a wing into an exclusive hotel - could charge ridiculous money. :D

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The Queen is in need of a dead cat bounce, taking off Boris' head would do her and our country the world of good

Agreed.

I wonder if we’ve got time to change her role to President and give her a 10 year term of whatever until we can get a system in place to replace her with someone who is not one of her awful siblings!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Buck House "Former Home of the British Royal Family", the tourists go to Varseilles and they will still come here.

Buckingham Palace doesn't belong to the Queen. It is owned by the State so if we had a president, they would live there.

She does own Sandringham, Windsor, and Balmoral.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agreed.

I wonder if we’ve got time to change her role to President and give her a 10 year term of whatever until we can get a system in place to replace her with someone who is not one of her awful siblings!

The Queen's only sibling died quite a few years ago.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If she wasn't actually living there loads of it could be opened up to visitors who would pay an arm and a leg to look round. Roll up, £50 for your photo on the throne etc etc. Maybe turn a wing into an exclusive hotel - could charge ridiculous money. :D

Armed forces veterans get in free of charge with the Defence Discount card.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Those arguments are usually based around "tourism", but they have no basis in reality because they were created by a PR firm (not economists) self promoting itself.

The reality is that more tourists visit Versailles every year than the total amount visit any Royal Palace in the UK.

Whether we should have an unelected Head of State and how it is funded is a debate in itself.

Linking it to tourism is nonsense.

In any case, we will see huge changes with King Charles. The whole thing will be massively scaled back.

Well obviously, a King Charles won't take half the looking after that all that Royal Family do.

Cavalier-King-Charles-Spaniel-head-portrait-outdoors.jpg

We'd probably save a few million on the food bill, chefs and waiting staff alone ???

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Buckingham Palace doesn't belong to the Queen. It is owned by the State so if we had a president, they would live there.

She does own Sandringham, Windsor, and Balmoral.

She's down to her last 3 castles

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
...In any case, we will see huge changes with King Charles.

Should he be enthroned, I'm not totally convinced he'll take that name. It wouldn't surprise me if he took "George".

Or Wayne, perhaps? Hopefully not Nigel though...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Should he be enthroned, I'm not totally convinced he'll take that name. It wouldn't surprise me if he took "George".

Or Wayne, perhaps? Hopefully not Nigel though...

I'm fairly sure he will be George VII. He has four names so can choose which one he wants, like his grandfather did. He was Bertie (Albert) but chose to be George VI.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Isn’t the pertinent question, does the Queen cost more than a President would? I suspect not.

I doubt it. A president would be an individual. I can’t see us finding a presidents sons legal settlement from public funds. That probably a bad example but let’s face it a president would be strutised and held to account to the same rules as other public service figure.

Queenie and her hangers on are in their own league when it comes to what rules they need to follow. For example is the duchy of Cornwall/Lancaster a private or public owned entity. It’s private when they want it to be and public when they don’t want to pay tax on it’s income.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here