Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Prime Drinks

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There’s a Prime tracker!!?? 😭
I've literally only just installed it, because I was curious as to what it did.

It's crowd-sourced so people supply photos of stock on shelves when they visit stores, so it's more accurate than shop stock checkers, apparently.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
My lad’s 9 and obsessed with this stuff, or at least obsessed with the idea of it, because as of the weekend he’d never actually had any. And that’s when I rather fúcked up.

Every day last week my wife had taken him to various Asda’s on the way back from school to try and get hold of some, to absolutely no avail. He even came home on Friday in angry tears at his total lack of success. He’s 9 ffs.

My wife, by now feeling somewhat forlorn, decides it’s time for me to take on this painful duty, and so with that, my Saturday morning is defined: drive round the Asda’s of Leeds and Bradford in some vain hope of snaffling a bottle of pop that’s probably not even very nice. And I don’t fancy that.

Thing is, I happen to know the shop round the corner from my house sells the stuff for £15. And I’m thinking that, gratuitously overpriced though that is, I’d rather spend an extra £13 on this stuff than lose my Saturday morning driving a frustrated child round various supermarkets, with little to no chance of a happy ending.

Only trouble is, my wife knows of these £15 bottles, too, and she’s been very clear; “whatever you do, don’t be spending £15 on a bottle of Prime, you daft cùnt”. I also know that my lad can’t lie or keep a secret, so both he and my missus need to believe I’ve only bought a £2 one from Asda. I needed a ruse.

This was the plan: drive to the shop round the corner on the premise of buying a paper, leave my lad in the car, buy a £15 bottle of Prime (and a paper), sneak the bottle into the car, drive to Asda, find they’ve got no Prime, get some diesel from the petrol station and “would you believe it, as I was paying for it they had a single bottle of the stuff, here you go son”, then drive back home to make myself a bacon sarnie, everybody happy and no one any the wiser.

The plan was all going swimmingly until we got to Asda, with my secret £15 bottle already safely in my car. Obviously, they wouldn’t have any - my wife had been told that they put them on sale at about 5:30am, and kids literally queue up at that time to get hold of them. Imagine my surprise when we rock up to the customer service desk to find this - a literal fúcking pallet of the stuff!!

View attachment 157398

Obviously, I can’t let on, so we go ahead and buy another three bottles (the maximum they would allow us to buy). That’s £21 I’ve now spent, most of it unnecessarily, on a fúcking drink that serves only to make a couple of influencers richer.

Nothing I can do now, so we get home, and my lad excitedly unscrews the top of the first bottle (with some help from me, the wimp), takes one swig and says “urgh…that’s horrible”.

Ffs. The things you do…

:mad:

TBH it sounds like you would had spent more than £15 on fuel looking for a normal priced drink anyway, so the £15 (even though at a disgusting price) would had probably worked out cheaper :lol:

Can't you take the £15 drink back to the shop for a refund? Say it's damaged or has got something in it that you are allergic too? If the opportunistic, grifter says no, is it possible to the £15 one back to Asda or would the barcode tell you its from another shop?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Over hyped, over priced soft drink ….sounds like craft beer for teens.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Junior Orange is slightly obsessed by this stuff - Mrs Orange and I have both been visiting Asda stores whenever we pass one (there aren't any in Guildford obviously), and both of us sat in the queues in the online shop for the brief moment last week it was restocked.

He should forget about it and stick to Lucozade.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
TBH it sounds like you would had spent more than £15 on fuel looking for a normal priced drink anyway, so the £15 (even though at a disgusting price) would had probably worked out cheaper :lol:

Can't you take the £15 drink back to the shop for a refund? Say it's damaged or got something in that you are allergic too? If the opportunistic, grifter says no, is possible to the £15 one back to Asda or would the barcode tell you its from another shop?

This was very much my thinking. My wife will literally five miles to go to a shop to buy a basic item for 30p less. When I point out that she’s just spent about £5 in petrol, she simply says “well, you pay for that”. :rolleyes:

Re: taking it back, I’ve got no chance at the local shop I suspect. It’s full of “multipack - not for resale” items, so I can’t imagine their refund policy will be all that generous. Presumably I could take it back to Asda, but the shysters won’t be giving me £15 for it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Does it actually taste nice? Heading to Florida later in the year where they seem to be in abundance. Will no doubt try it but what's the taste? I'm imagining a flat lucozade?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Junior Orange is slightly obsessed by this stuff - Mrs Orange and I have both been visiting Asda stores whenever we pass one (there aren't any in Guildford obviously), and both of us sat in the queues in the online shop for the brief moment last week it was restocked.

He should forget about it and stick to Lucozade.
The app shows it in stock at Sainsbury's "Guildford - WRPLSDN RD" 53 minutes ago and, seemingly nearby Sainsbury's "Aldershot Ash Rd" one hour ago.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Does it actually taste nice? Heading to Florida later in the year where they seem to be in abundance. Will no doubt try it but what's the taste? I'm imagining a flat lucozade?
Lots of flavours. I quite liked the lime one, but I'm into citrus flavours generally.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Can confirm Asda hollingbury do NOT have stock, was up there not to long ago and I always check, not once seen it in stock even at 8am

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I saw this a while ago, it's really shouldn't be advertised as sports drink. Although the target audience of kids won't be drinking it as one tbh

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can confirm Asda hollingbury do NOT have stock, was up there not to long ago and I always check, not once seen it in stock even at 8am
There are two photos of stock of the white bottled flavour on the shelves there earlier this morning.

Of course that doesn't mean it's in stock now, but it looks like it was.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The app shows it in stock at Sainsbury's "Guildford - WRPLSDN RD" 53 minutes ago and, seemingly nearby Sainsbury's "Aldershot Ash Rd" one hour ago.
Thanks @Bozza , not much good to me as I'm actually in the office today! :D

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
There are two photos of stock of the white bottled flavour on the shelves there earlier this morning.

Of course that doesn't mean it's in stock now, but it looks like it was.
Unless it was somewhere in the store I didn’t see, there is a shelf down the sports drinks aisle and it definitely wasn’t there, but like you say it probably was at 5am when they restocked overnight.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Unless it was somewhere in the store I didn’t see, there is a shelf down the sports drinks aisle and it definitely wasn’t there, but like you say it probably was at 5am when they restocked overnight.
Zooming in on the pictures, it was above a shelf that had Asda's own version of orange Lucozade Sport, actual red Lucozade Sport and something called "Reign" and below something called "Grenade Energy".

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Zooming in on the pictures, it was above a shelf that had Asda's own version of orange Lucozade Sport, actual red Lucozade Sport and something called "Reign" and below something called "Grenade Energy".
Yeah that’s where I looked, all sold out by 9am then! Not surprising really, Asda hollingbury is popular with school kids in the morning.

And the bloody jet wash machine in the petrol station was closed as well, which was the actual purpose of the trip.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I refuse to judge the kids for this. I remember the battle to try and get a ps5. I don’t even play on it that much but it was about the challenge of getting one as much as anything else.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
We've got bottles of the stuff here - all empty now - picked up in the US where it's available in abundance.

I've not tried to buy it in the UK, but I understand it can be a frustrating pursuit. My son was convinced he was going to return home from the US with a case packed full of stuff and this time next week, Rodney, he'd be a millionaire.
I trust the new plan is to "Peckham Spring Water" it?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Lucozade used to be what mum gave you when you were bunking off school and pretending to be ill. The fact that the bootleg version is now "Grenade Energy" would suggest life has moved on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here