Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Priest murdered while saying mass in French church nr Rouen

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sigh. And all life is equally important. However it is natural to be more interested in things in your own back yard so why try to make a political point?

I wasn't making any political point at all....just referring to the other poster...I generally stay clear of politics on BB's things get too heated and points misconstrued.
Yes we do take more interest in things in our own back yard so to speak...but in this day and age things that happen elsewhere tend to end up in our own back yard.

Nothing more meant :)

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Don't mess with the French police!

This. A month ago they probably would have negotiated in a hostage situation. Now they can't take any chances.

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
So in summary

- 2 prison escapees run into a church and take hostages - not clear if any of the hostages get hurt EDIT: 1 Hostage dead
- Police then storm the church and shoot dead the hostage takers

Don't mess with the French police!

I wonder how our police would react to such situations. Would they go straight in like the French or would they fanny about asking what their demands are and try to being the situation to a peaceful end.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I wonder how our police would react to such situations. Would they go straight in like the French or would they fanny about asking what their demands are and try to being the situation to a peaceful end.

For what it's worth, in the current climate, I think we'd act the same way as the French police.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

It would depend on the situation and what you knew of the hostage takers, it is not fannying about if you can bring things to a peaceful end. I would guess that during a time when a country is in a state of National Emergency and suicidal terrorists have been operating, you are more likely to get shot, even if you are just an electrician running for the tube.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I wasn't making any political point at all....just referring to the other poster...I generally stay clear of politics on BB's things get too heated and points misconstrued.
Yes we do take more interest in things in our own back yard so to speak...but in this day and age things that happen elsewhere tend to end up in our own back yard.

Nothing more meant :)
Apologies then.[emoji3]

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The two hostage takers have been shot dead but also one priest has died but as of yet not sure if that was at the hand of the hostage takers or during the rescue attempt

Sky News reporting Reuters source...

"Two men armed with knives have been shot dead after taking several people hostage in a church in northern France.
According to a Reuters police source, one of the hostages - a priest - was killed and had his throat slit. A total of five people were being held by the knifemen in the church in Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray, Normandy, according to the news agency.
The assailants got in through the back door of the church and took the priest, two nuns and two parishioners hostage during morning mass."

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yet another senseless murder which, to me, shows the futility of religion.

The Archbishop of Canterbury has called for people to 'Pray for Paris'. What a fat lot of good all of this praying is doing of late. Is the Christian god having an extra long nap or just ignoring all of this praying?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Moderator note: I have changed the title from 'Hostages taken in French church' to more accurately reflect what happened.

Dec 29, 2011

D

Deleted member 22389

So who is going to embrace living alongside this religion in years to come, well you better get used to it because changes are coming your way whether you like it or not. It's not for me and never has been. I simply don't trust it, going on my own experiences and what keeps happening. Thanks to all the politicians for selling us all out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here