Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Pretty Vicious PMQ NHS Exchange

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Johnson was a shambolic mess at PMQ's today as were a lot of his MP's , fancy barracking Corbyn for wearing a Grenfell tie ? I can't wait to see Johnson at the televised debates unless he is put under lock and key till December 13th

I have no time for Johnson but he will be fine in the Debates because he will be pretty much scripted and extremely repetitive.

Jezza will be more at risk because he is less likely to avoid slippery subjects. That's why I respect him so much but it can be his downfall sometimes in that he would rather be disliked than dishonest.

Boris Johnson on the other hand doesn't care whether he is disliked or dishonest

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Please don't show them the truth!

Labour is trying to influence the young with project fear again, it's ironic that they try to pin Boris to be the biggest liar.

The difference is Boris is what he is.

Corbyn isn't what he portrays, the man wears the mask of deceit.

I am very worried about your state of mind.
You do realise that is Boris Johnson as PM don't you.
Sacked twice for lying, a serial lier, even for a politician a man never to be trusted.
Corbyn worries me, yes, but are you really that stupid to not see right through Johnson and the rest of the Tory cabinet for that matter.
NHS spending, even if they put in what they say they are going to will still be well below the average given to the NHS over the past 50 years.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
The NHS is a money pit, albeit a wonderful money pit, and it would be impossible not to under fund it regardless of how much you threw at it.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The NHS is a money pit, albeit a wonderful money pit, and it would be impossible not to under fund it regardless of how much you threw at it.

Absolutely this.

Needs to seriously sorted, no longer fit for the purpose it was set up for due to numbers/life expectancy. An unsustainable business model.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Please don't show them the truth!

Labour is trying to influence the young with project fear again, it's ironic that they try to pin Boris to be the biggest liar.

The difference is Boris is what he is.

Corbyn isn't what he portrays, the man wears the mask of deceit.

Can you guess which one of Johnson and Corbyn will be helping out in the homeless shelter again this Christmas ?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

'Underfunding' in this context has a very specific meaning; the shortfall between current funding plans and the funding required to sustain current levels of service over the next 10-20 years (I can't remember the exact number). It is absolutely not impossible to bridge this gap.

I reckon your wider point is valid though, in that we should be funding it to actually improve the level of care (and outcomes) rather than aim for par with now. I'd argue that NHS spending should be somewhere nearer 200bn

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I’m sure if Johnson, Cameron and their parents clubbed together they could quite comfortably cover the NHS shortfall and still have enough left over for their annual ‘Bullingdon Old Boys’ subscriptIons.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Health spending has dropped as % of GDP and hasn't kept up with the minimum required +4%pa, nor is it expected to any time soon.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Most organisations would expect to gain efficiencies as they grow. Surely the NHS, being one of the biggest should as well? Therefore the % comparison against GDP is a real red herring.

They need to be buying cheaper drugs from the US for starters.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Johnson v Corbyn. Corbyn actually doing a 'Come On Then!' gesture at Johnson across the house :ohmy: Pretty vicious stuff. You can tell there's an election pending. Crying shame that it'll be Brexit that carries the day.

Which is precisely why an election should be abandoned and we should have a people's vote instead. People will be forced to vote tactically to pursue or try and stop Brexit and will end possibly voting for a party they would never have dreamt of voting for, probably don't agree with much of their other policy, just Brexit.

Have an election, fine BUT it must be coupled with a second referendum with No deal, Remain and the current deal as the three options.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Max Hastings wrote recently:

“I would not take Boris's word about whether it is Monday or Tuesday … He is also a far more ruthless, and frankly nastier, figure than the public appreciates … I would not trust him with my wife nor - from painful experience - my wallet”.

I would imagine few know Boris better than his former employer.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Only 28% of women trust Jezza on the NHS. WTF??

EIMaePzW4AALWCd.jpg

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Most organisations would expect to gain efficiencies as they grow. Surely the NHS, being one of the biggest should as well?

I think you're right to focus on efficiency. Of course the NHS should be expected to display improved efficiencies. Hence the 5-year-forward plan to save c.20bn.

Therefore the % comparison against GDP is a real red herring.

I think it's an extremely pertinent figure.

They need to be buying cheaper drugs from the US for starters.

Cheaper US drugs doesn't necessarily square with the plan to shift towards a greater proportion of generic drugs being described; this is expected to deliver the some of the greatest efficiencies over the next few years, something like 50% more items prescribed for +5% spend (again sorry I can't remember the exact figures). Some of these generics are already being bought from America.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'd be amazed if Johnson takes part in any live TV debates. They'll pull the same guff that they did when May bottled it, saying she preferred to "get out and about and meet the voters", when the real reason was that she had all the charisma of a stale breadstick, and was completely incapable of doing anything other than endlessly repeating soundbites from a carefully prepared script. Answering direct questions on the hoof was her worst nightmare.

Johnson is also completely incapable of answering questions put to him (he's certainly not unique in that). But his advisors also will know that he is even more capable of running his mouth off, spouting unquantified bollocks off the top of his head, and digging himself into a bloody great hole.

I stand to be corrected, but I will be genuinely surprised if he is put in front of an audience with the other party leaders in a live TV debate.

Surely, they will have learnt their lesson from May? Sending Rudd out was the equivalent of the football manager who sits in the stand for cup games and lets the Number 2 play manager before the reserves get turned over by Colchester. Boris will say the wrong thing at some point but everyone is expecting that to happen anyway. If Blair or Cameron said the wrong thing it was big news as they were so polished, Johnson has spouted 'Get Stuffed' 'Pillar boxes' and god knows what else but still remains popular in comparison to Jezza. He would have to have a failure of epic proportions to shift attitudes now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here