[Finance] Premium Bonds - prize pool increased again - you ever have any luck?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Seeing that this was bounced I checked my account this morning and nothing....I get home and just had an e-mail saying congrats, you have won ? does the draw run over a few days then ? I thought it was all drawn on the first working day of the month and you were advised within 24 hours ?... oh, and I won £150 !

The draw is carried out somewhere in the middle of the month.

This gives the millionaire man a chance to locate the lucky winners and visit them to tell them the good news.

The rest of us get informed on the first working day of the following month.

There could be a delay on the account updating - the best way to check is by getting the app... you also get the dramatic animations.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

This gives the millionaire man a chance to locate the lucky winners and visit them to tell them the good news.

There could be a delay on the account updating - the best way to check is by getting the app... you also get the dramatic animations.
Thanks, never knew that. I don't have the phone app, lifes to short, but, I do check online at the web site...

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

The App is excellent.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Don’t think so. Draw is on 1st day of the month, results are on 2nd working day of the month (on the app).

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Don’t think so. Draw is on 1st day of the month, results are on 2nd working day of the month (on the app).

It certainly seems that way, but the draw does in fact take place during the middle of the month, some time before the results are published, for the purpose of informing the millionaires (but in reality the policy is probably put in place to earn NS&I more interest before paying out the winnings).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It certainly seems that way, but the draw does in fact take place during the middle of the month, some time before the results are published, for the purpose of informing the millionaires (but in reality the policy is probably put in place to earn NS&I more interest before paying out the winnings).
Not what I’ve been told :shrug:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Seeing that this was bounced I checked my account this morning and nothing....I get home and just had an e-mail saying congrats, you have won ? does the draw run over a few days then ? I thought it was all drawn on the first working day of the month and you were advised within 24 hours ?... oh, and I won £150 !
Only the big prizes are announced on the 1st - smaller ones usually by the 4th or 5th....or you can go online and check for prizes. Also, nice little win, there. :)

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Absolutely 100% false. The draw is very strictly technologically controlled on the first working day of the month, with the outcomes and the prize checker going live at 0:01am on the second working day of the month.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Absolutely 100% false. The draw is very strictly technologically controlled on the first working day of the month, with the outcomes and the prize checker going live at 0:01am on the second working day of the month.
Source?

I can't find anything about it online - but there was a mini-documentary on the Beeb many years ago saying how it all worked.

Also, your understanding isn't correct either - as you can view the high value prizes online the day BEFORE the outcomes and prize checker goes live.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Yes, for the big prizes you can indeed, on the first working day of the month, see the geographic region where the holder resides, and the size of the holder’s holding. But you can’t find out if that is YOU until the prize checker goes live at 00.01 on the second working day.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Question

what age do you have to be buy premium bonds and what is max you can buy.

You can buy premium bonds from 16 years old.

A parent or guardian can buy premium bonds for a child under 16, which the child will have access to once they turn 16. This is sometimes used as a loophole, as the maximum investment per person is £50k.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
You can buy premium bonds from 16 years old.

A parent or guardian can buy premium bonds for a child under 16, which the child will have access to once they turn 16. This is sometimes used as a loophole, as the maximum investment per person is £50k.
Indeed, as you can cash out the child’s bonds before they reach 16.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
There is a £100k winner in Brighton and Hove with a total holding of £5795. The winning bond was purchased in Feb 23. Been through the entire list of Feb winners down to £5k, and not joking, there are a LOT of B&H area winners this month, a lot more than usual.

Last edited:

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
How did you see the February winners? I’ve just gone onto the prize checker app and it’s only showing Jan 2024. Unless you’re the £100k winner? 🤣

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports