Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Premium Bonds - prize pool increased again - you ever have any luck?

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
From July the Premium Bonds prize pool has been increased by 0.4% to 3.7%.

Odds remain 24,000 to 1, but there are significantly more £100k, £50k, and £25k prizes.

For perspective, a year ago there were just 6x prizes paying £100k... from July, there will be 71.

What's the most you've ever won on the Premium Bonds? I've literally never won more than £25...! But I think it's a safe place to keep your money, and a bit of a guilt free punt.

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
I had a few bonds, £500 and never won in 60 years. When interest rates plummeted I put £20,000 into PB. Now I seem to get wins approximately 7-9 times a year. My best was two £100 prizes. Usually it’s £50.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've £60 of bonds left to me by my Grandmother about 40 years ago. Won ziltch, zero, nada, absolutly nothing.
How do I know, I just happened to find them recently and looked online.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Typically our prizes spread over the year are more or less bang on whatever the interest rate is. I’m ahead this year though as had a £1000 win a couple of months ago (biggest I’ve had).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Biggest £500

scooter1

How soon is now?
I’ve posted this before on a previous thread, but I borrowed £5k to put towards my current car whilst the interest rates were low, and put the £5k I had saved into PB’s. It was an experiment to see if I could win more than the interest I would have to pay over the 3 year loan term. Anyway, I’ve made at least 3 times the interest on the loan and still have 7 months to go.
As interest rates are creeping up, I suspect ISA’s and whatnot will become better earners, but PB’s have worked ok for me. And it’s been a bit of fun checking the app once a month around the 3rd or 4th

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When I'd stuck a pound's worth of Post Office Savings stamps on the card, I would use it to buy a Premium Bond back in 1950s Polegate. I bought a few more over the years. I got £50 in 1973, but that's the lot!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here