Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League - Void or positions stand ?

What will Premier League do ?

• Null & Void

Votes: 198 58.2%
  • Current Positions stand

Votes: 54 15.9%
  • Something else

Votes: 88 25.9%

• Total voters

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Much as I'd like the season to be void, I just can't see it happening. It has to resume at some point in the future, with the current positions and current squads however far in the future that is. Next season's rules can be rewritten if necessary to get back on track - e.g. teams play each other only once.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Unless the Euros are cancelled then it will have to be voided.

Legally there are too many challenges. Giving it to Liverpool assumes the current league positions which would assume Norwich relegated. But if Norwich argue that they could avoid relegation if the games are played then equally it could be argued that Liverpool might not win the league. If Norwich aren't relegated then Leeds can't be promoted and they might challenge that decision etc etc etc.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Current positions stand...

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
This.
Firstly scrap the FA Cup and all European tournaments this year. Move Euro 2020 to 2021. Then, with most teams having 9 games, play 2 games a week for a month starting 6th June. Should be done and dusted by mid July.
June is forecast as our peak Corona Virus month.

3 / 4 weeks for things to normalise after that ?

Looking at August at the very earliest to resume.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Suspend the current season then complete it when conditions permit. Seems little point in setting in stone a new season without finishing this one first. Wasn't there something about European leagues having to realign to fit in with the timing of the Qatar World Cup anyway? If so, then this might actually be helpful, albeit for all the wrong reasons

Is the right answer. Perfect opportunity for realignment. Complete the season in the Autumn. Start new season in January (could add a 3 week 'winter break).

BUT this needs to be rolled out via FIFA worldwide, or it will cock up all the international cup compos, transfer windows and that bollocks.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Surely the funniest thing is Liverpool not winning the title after 30 years!!!

And Palace failing to finish above us!

:facepalm:

What must it be like to live with a tiny, tiny, little mind? ???

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
It makes you wonder, given the money at stake, is there not some pre-agreed disaster management plan in place. For example, if the season is halted before the halfway point then it’s null and void, after that league position based on points per game stand as the final table.

There certainly should be, and if there isn’t I guarantee you there will be in future.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Whatever's decided about this season (and, so far, I've seen 14 different suggestions) my guess is that it won't be the PL making the decision. I'd say that there has to be concerted European-wide response and the same action across all European leagues.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Football has stopped because signs of virus at Arsenal,Leicester, Man City and Chelsea. Until all clubs have a clean bill of health nothing will restart .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can't see how the 2019/20 Premier League season can be completely voided, and one reason is statistics. Liverpool have already broken the following Prem records:

1. Most points over 38 consecutive games - 110
2. Biggest lead at any point in any season - 25
3. Biggest lead at any point in a season (after same number of games played) - 22
4. Most consecutive wins - 18
5. Most consecutive home wins - 22

In addition, goals have been scored, games have been played, some contracts are performance-related.

Added to that Liverpool themselves have already broken club records for record consecutive league wins, consecutive wins from start of season, league matches without defeat, consecutive home wins and for a club of their standing these achievements cannot be ignored.

For all of those reasons I think it is right that Liverpool be awarded the trophy and that there is a countback on games to decide the three relegation places, either to ignore the 29th matches and take the table after 28 matches or to take the results after every side has played the other once - personally, I think voiding the 29th match is the least worst route because of the minimal impact on the statistical side. I also think it is right that something similar happens in the EFL too, so WBA and Leeds get their promotions.

I dislike that least of all the options suggested, including my own.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
This season needs to be finished, if so in the summer.
There’s too many ramifications for too many clubs, champions, promotions, relegations, budgets for next season, and threats of legal actions.

Plus is will be nice for have you squirming for a few months to come :wink:

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Finish in the summer. We will be frothing at the mouth for some sport by then. Quite like the idea of having a few cold tins outside in the July sun before heading for the WSU to watch us get brutalised by Man City.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Bang on. They’ll keep kicking the problem down the line until forced into a decision.

I don’t anticipate anything more conclusive or clear today than ‘temporary suspension of games’, at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. The PL are shallow, gutless and spineless. Today's announcement is just softening the blow for the
next postponement, then the one after that and then lo and behold "sorry we'll have to start over again".
They'll no doubt get their PR machine in full throttle so that sub-consciously we'll be expecting all this.
I'd be pleased of course, but not if I was a West Brom fan. (Leeds can go and do one for all I care.)

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Can't get over how funny it is that people think WBA and Leeds should be promoted when Fulham has to play them both. I'd be fuming if that happened and I was a Fulham fan.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This. The PL are shallow, gutless and spineless. Today's announcement is just softening the blow for the
next postponement, then the one after that and then lo and behold "sorry we'll have to start over again".
They'll no doubt get their PR machine in full throttle so that sub-consciously we'll be expecting all this.
I'd be pleased of course, but not if I was a West Brom fan. (Leeds can go and do one for all I care.)
It's not that. They need WEEKS to get the legal position sorted, so we'll get continuous suspensions until they have. It's not dithering, they can't make a call at this point.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
This season needs to be finished, if so in the summer.
There’s too many ramifications for too many clubs, champions, promotions, relegations, budgets for next season, and threats of legal actions.

Plus is will be nice for have you squirming for a few months to come :wink:

Can't say I give a chuff right now.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
In the most Neil Lennon way possible, Neil Lennon has announced Celtic should be named champions if the Scottish season is ended.

He is such a little cretin, why does he feel the need to come out and say that today? There are far more important things going on than his own little ego trip. Wanker.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Love to know when people think we are going to play these remaining games, whilst giving the fans enough time to feel confident enough to resume attending large gatherings of people, the players ample time to recover for a fresh season and the clubs time to make key off-season decisions and assess their squads.

Finishing off the season in August, which seems a likely prediction when we'll be in the clear, is an even worse idea based on fixture congestion by cramming in and aligning two sets of multiple competition completions.

Can't believe at this pretty grim time, we are concerning ourselves over the 'fairness' of certain teams being x points ahead and what they should be 'awarded'.

I've been pondering how I would feel if say, we were 30 points ahead at the top of the table right now about to make history. I feel that largely it would have been ruined for me already and celebrating it during these times wouldn't feel right, particularly if the season would have to be cut short.

I've always maintained we'd survive anyway, so it makes no difference to us (though some may disagree).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here