Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League - Void or positions stand ?

What will Premier League do ?

• Null & Void

Votes: 198 58.2%
  • Current Positions stand

Votes: 54 15.9%
  • Something else

Votes: 88 25.9%

• Total voters

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I think of the options I've seen, the idea of finishing the season as was after all teams have played each other once is the fairest. Award promotions and relegations to those in automatic positions only (so only 2 down from premier league and 2 up from championship).

Watford may take issue with this however...

Is it fair? Some teams will have played easier games at home in the first half of the season and have harder second halves to the season

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ultimately the PL will know exactly what they will do as it'll be written somewhere in the contract the clubs sign up to, I assume they'll put off doing whatever it is for as long as possible but I'd be surprised if they don't have to enact "Plan B" at some point

mashman156

Aug 7, 2009
Southampton
Is it fair? Some teams will have played easier games at home in the first half of the season and have harder second halves to the season

Is it fair? No not really...but in comparison to the alternatives it's the fairest idea I've seen. Just doesnt seem to be time to finish the season if its suspended with the amount of European games remaining, fa cup games. Not to mention it all needs to be done before the end of June when contracts expire and players go on summer break. Followed by the euros, and there is absolutely no way of knowing when it's appropriate to re start the current campaign. Behind closed doors doesnt work when 4 squads already are self isolating

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Void has to be the easiest solution. No other solution is going to be any more workable. Harsh on Liverpool and teams in promotion positions but relegating teams in the current bottom three is equally as harsh.

Anything else will be a huge fudge, imo

Just hope whoever has the final decision isn’t a Leeds fan [emoji38]ol:

As an Albion fans forum I am 100% certain that the void option will win by a landslide. I wonder if Leeds have a similar poll because you can guarantee that they will not be voting for void!
100% this [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Can't go on current positions just not fair, season VOID. Tough on Liverpool but they will win the PL one day I'm sure

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Right which nerd has the the tables after 19 games.
Norwich, Watford, Villa would be down.

Hang on, they can't do it like that, because of the play offs surely

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In Spain, La Liga has a proper constitution which allows for "force majeure". If an accord cannot be reached with the clubs, the league committee can dictate what happens next. They are apparently looking at four scenarios.

1. If Euro 2020 is postponed, continue the league in the summer. It's going to be a hot one!
2. Finish the league after game 27, the last game that everyone has played. Barcelona champions.
3. Finish the league after game 19, the halfway point, when everyone has played each other once. Barcelona champions.
4. Scrap it and start again next season.

There seem to be growing calls that option 3 is preferred as everyone would have played everyone once. In our case that means that Spurs away would be voided and the points against Bournemouth would count!

Option 3 sounds very sensible and probably the fairest. Only for apportioning the prize money though - no promotion or relegation.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Average points per game, multiply by 38 to decide league standings. Top three in the Championship up, bottom three PL down, no playoffs.

Job done.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Suspend the current season then complete it when conditions permit. Seems little point in setting in stone a new season without finishing this one first. Wasn't there something about European leagues having to realign to fit in with the timing of the Qatar World Cup anyway? If so, then this might actually be helpful, albeit for all the wrong reasons

Somebody else made this suggestion before. Nobody from PL relegated, Leeds and WBA promoted, PL has one season of 22 with 5 relegations next season. Similar format from L1 to championship. Autos go up, bottom places stay up (Play off places get voided) all can be resolved with bigger relegations next season. Positions 2-5
in PL handed out as are, Liverpool champions, city second.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
These are unprecedented times.

It's harsh for the likes of Coventry, WBA, Leeds and Liverpool but you cannot just simply 'award' them trophies based on an incomplete season, no matter how convinced anyone is that it's written on the wall.

Moreover, you can't possibly relegate and promote teams based on their current standings, average PPM or after x amount of games because nobody can possibly know how it would play out.

There is enough disruption to the season ALREADY, without the coming weeks and months factored in. Just because a title race looks decided, doesn't mean to say that the other clubs striving for European places, or to survive, or gunning for promotion should just accept that the season is cut short and current positions stand.

The only option is to void it, and I think it will be done in due course.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
These are unprecedented times.

It's harsh for the likes of Coventry, WBA, Leeds and Liverpool but you cannot just simply 'award' them trophies based on an incomplete season, no matter how convinced anyone is that it's written on the wall.

Moreover, you can't possibly relegate and promote teams based on their current standings, average PPM or after x amount of games because nobody can possibly know how it would play out.

There is enough disruption to the season ALREADY, without the coming weeks and months factored in. Just because a title race looks decided, doesn't mean to say that the other clubs striving for European places, or to survive, or gunning for promotion should just accept that the season is cut short and current positions stand.

The only option is to void it, and I think it will be done in due course.

Very good summary and by far the cleanest approach to dealing with the situation

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
End season now, give Liverpool the title
No relegation
Promote Leeds and WBA
Next season, 3 relegated and team in 17th goes into playoffs with 3,4 & 5th in the Championship, same again the following season to get back to 20

Alternative is to suspend the season, but problem with that is no-one has any idea when it’ll be able to start up again

Wouldn't that leave 21 teams for the 21/22 season?

If they went with 22 teams next year I think it would be better if they then relegated the bottom four and only the champions of the Championship got automatic promotion while 2nd-fifth go into the play offs.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ultimately the PL will know exactly what they will do as it'll be written somewhere in the contract the clubs sign up to, I assume they'll put off doing whatever it is for as long as possible but I'd be surprised if they don't have to enact "Plan B" at some point

That is a very good point. You would like to think that the *lawyers/clubs would have drawn up something in the event of a season not completing. A war for example (we have had them before).

(*Unless someone like Donald Trump drew up the rules)

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Somebody else made this suggestion before. Nobody from PL relegated, Leeds and WBA promoted, PL has one season of 22 with 5 relegations next season. Similar format from L1 to championship. Autos go up, bottom places stay up (Play off places get voided) all can be resolved with bigger relegations next season. Positions 2-5
in PL handed out as are, Liverpool champions, city second.

I would go with with nobody from PL relegated, Leeds and WBA promoted, and the PL stayed at 22 permanently.

For a club like ours, the thought of FIVE relegations doesn't bear thinking about. NSC would be a permanent bin fest.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
There are a multitude of options, the only surefire thing is that the suits at EPL and EFL will make a total balls up of it

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Dazzer's plan is similar to what I think would work best. Promote the teams in the automatic promotion positions on the most recent matchday when all teams had played the same number of games. No relegation in any division, so no threat of legal action from relegated clubs who don't get a chance to fight their way out of trouble.

So West Brom and Leeds join a 22-team Premier League for one season next season. Five go down, or 4 for each of the next two seasons.

Promote the top three from the National League. No losers, only winners. Liverpool keep their title, no moaning from Leeds or West Brom, but the best thing is no play-off heartache for Fulham, Brentford, Preston or whoever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here