[Football] Premier League - Void or positions stand ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What will Premier League do ?

• Null & Void

Votes: 198 58.2%
  • Current Positions stand

Votes: 54 15.9%
  • Something else

Votes: 88 25.9%

• Total voters

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
They’ll come up with a Duckworth-Lewis style method.
Take the last 10 games form, award a point for each win, half a point for each draw, and add that total to the current total, and that is your finishing total and position. Simples! :lol:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I think they will only resume fixtures if and when they have confirmation that all clubs. playing and coaching staff are virus free

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Personally, (speaking as someone who doesn't like Leeds or Liverpool) I still think voiding is the worst of all the options. Though I admit there are no good ones

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So West Brom and Leeds join a 22-team Premier League for one season next season. Five go down, or 4 for each of the next two seasons.

The problem with that approach is four extra games. This means the season would end later - in a summer when the postponed Euros will take place. That could mean the 21/22 season starting later but we already know the 22/23 season will start earlier because of the WC break (and they have to fit in WC qualifiers in).

One solution would be to do what rugby and cricket do and don't stop the domestic programme for internationals but there'd be come mighty whingeing coming from the direction of Manchester and Liverpool if that happened.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Bring back the pools panel...!

Balls in a hat isn’t so stupid an idea. The toss of a coin is still on the statutes if two teams league positions can’t be separated...

This, a team of experts locked away who vote on the results one by one for the rest of the season to get to the final positions but, no relegations/promotions this season. Champions of each league to be given a trophy as usual.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
If this delay goes on until mid May them just start a new season when this over, with the teams in the same leagues they are now and write off this season.

If we start playing again before mid May then consider just trying to finish the leagues and maybe abolish playoffs for promotion.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Really can't see beyond a void (just going to enjoy that song lyric I've inadvertently typed for a second....), you can't relegate/promote teams based where we are now.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
This, a team of experts locked away who vote on the results one by one for the rest of the season to get to the final positions but, no relegations/promotions this season. Champions of each league to be given a trophy as usual.

If we go by the average points won we are on one point a game, with the team below us on slightly less. So if all the teams are awarded their average the table would look the same as it does now.

I will take it with open arms.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
PB on TalkSPORT now.
No first team members affected, but concerns for 5 staff.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can't see how the 2019/20 Premier League season can be completely voided, and one reason is statistics. Liverpool have already broken the following Prem records:

1. Most points over 38 consecutive games - 110
2. Biggest lead at any point in any season - 25
3. Biggest lead at any point in a season (after same number of games played) - 22
4. Most consecutive wins - 18
5. Most consecutive home wins - 22

In addition, goals have been scored, games have been played, some contracts are performance-related.

Added to that Liverpool themselves have already broken club records for record consecutive league wins, consecutive wins from start of season, league matches without defeat, consecutive home wins and for a club of their standing these achievements cannot be ignored.

For all of those reasons I think it is right that Liverpool be awarded the trophy and that there is a countback on games to decide the three relegation places, either to ignore the 29th matches and take the table after 28 matches or to take the results after every side has played the other once - personally, I think voiding the 29th match is the least worst route because of the minimal impact on the statistical side. I also think it is right that something similar happens in the EFL too, so WBA and Leeds get their promotions.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I can't see how the 2019/20 Premier League season can be completely voided, and one reason is statistics. Liverpool have already broken the following Prem records:

1. Most points over 38 consecutive games - 110
2. Biggest lead at any point in any season - 25
3. Biggest lead at any point in a season (after same number of games played) - 22
4. Most consecutive wins - 18
5. Most consecutive home wins - 22

In addition, goals have been scored, games have been played, some contracts are performance-related.

Added to that Liverpool themselves have already broken club records for record consecutive league wins, consecutive wins from start of season, league matches without defeat, consecutive home wins and for a club of their standing these achievements cannot be ignored.

For all of those reasons I think it is right that Liverpool be awarded the trophy and that there is a countback on games to decide the three relegation places, either to ignore the 29th matches and take the table after 28 matches or to take the results after every side has played the other once - personally, I think voiding the 29th match is the least worst route because of the minimal impact on the statistical side. I also think it is right that something similar happens in the EFL too, so WBA and Leeds get their promotions.

This seems a sensible solution.
While it stops Liverpool fans seeing their team win the trophy it does resolve the league positions for Europe relegation and promotion. The only problem may be teams like Villa who would go down but would argue that with the games left (as of now) they would have avoided the drop.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I shall be sending my suggestion in to the PL and EFL in a moment.

EXPECTED GOALS SCORED TABLE, which surely is the fairest reflection of where teams should be, if luck, VAR and piss-poor finishing hadn't got in the way. And since I cannot find an example with Palace relegated, I propose we use the table from Experimental 3-6-1...

unplucky bastard.png

TOP TEN! Great job Graham!!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The only problem may be teams like Villa who would go down but would argue that with the games left (as of now) they would have avoided the drop.

The counter-argument to that is by ending the season now Villa avoid finishing bottom - which, I'd argue, is fairly likely given Norwich are showing signs of improvement while Grealish is mailing in the performances now he's off to a Top 6 club (probably Man Utd).

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
End season now, give Liverpool the title
No relegation
Promote Leeds and WBA
Next season, 3 relegated and team in 17th goes into playoffs with 3,4 & 5th in the Championship, same again the following season to get back to 20

Alternative is to suspend the season, but problem with that is no-one has any idea when it’ll be able to start up again

Other divisions do exist though. It has to be null/void - no other way is workable. Tough for Coventry, hilarious for Liverpool and Leeds, shame about Villa

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Personally, I like the idea that it goes from when every club has played all the others, so, ours would be until after Bournemouth at the Amex, but, disregarding Spurs away.
I have no idea who would be relegated/promoted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports