Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premier League ST prices

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I thought the increase already announced by Barber had been implemented to tackle the announced loss.

Do you really think the price increase will clear it? It hasn't covered the transport subsidy. That's why Barber has been trying to get global sponsorship.
The club is expecting a similar loss this coming season.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Do you really think the price increase will clear it? It hasn't covered the transport subsidy. That's why Barber has been trying to get global sponsorship.

Maybe the Club should get rid of some of the stewards then. For the concourse sale they were everywhere again - do we really need one every 10 yards and 3 on each door?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I reckon my ST will go from £44 per month to £60 per month.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

So you are saying the price increase announced this year will not do anything towards reducing the loss.
If this is the case why did he not just raise the tickets in the first place to a sum that would go someway to doing so?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
How quickly fans forget the 9 million loss we've had this season.

Is that a genuine loss or an accountancy loss tho eh?

If its a genuine loss that is likely to be repeated year on year then we may as well all pack up and go home.

If, on the other hand, its a tax accounting loss, then fair play. Every company does it. Declare a massive profit and get zapped by HMRC. Like to think the club has smart accountants who will play within the rules without unduly declaring profits.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I reckon my ST will go from £44 per month to £60 per month.

And how many families will be able to afford that level of increase in the current financial climate, lets say a father and son will be increase around £20 month. I am not sure my son and grandson could afford that.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'm not entirely sure I'd be able to afford it; I'd have to do some juggling. Just saying that's what I expect mine to rise to

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I'm not entirely sure I'd be able to afford it; I'd have to do some juggling. Just saying that's what I expect mine to rise to

I really don't think you would be alone.

Surely it would be better to leave the current price for one season and then raise it next year. As others have already pointed out we will have 4 less games to watch and 4 less costs of stewards, bar staff and travel, which we have already paid for.

D

Deleted member 18477

People get so worked up. They can only increase prices so much as hardly anyone is getting an inflation payrise each year anymore. Eventually people WILL say enough is enough and not buy (years to come - unless our economy rapidly improves).

If you can't afford it then don't buy one its as simple as that.

On the plus side... IF we get to the prem we will have good highlights everyweek (MOTD, Goals on Sunday etc.) and also games will be more frequently live on sky and BT sport.

I havent renewed for next season as i don't have the spare cash as i've had in previous years and i don't want to add another direct debit to my account (adding more strain each month - bills keep going up)... i'd also rather go on holiday so unfortunetely football was the first luxury to go.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
People get so worked up. They can only increase prices so much as hardly anyone is getting an inflation payrise each year anymore. Eventually people WILL say enough is enough and not buy (years to come - unless our economy rapidly improves).

On the plus side... IF we get to the prem we will have good highlights everyweek (MOTD, Goals on Sunday etc.) and also games will be more frequently live on sky and BT sport.

I havent renewed for next season as i don't have the spare cash as i've had in previous years and i don't want to add another direct debit to my account (adding more strain each month - bills keep going up)... i'd also rather go on holiday so unfortunetely football was the first luxury to go.

Actually you make a good point, as nearly every premier league game is on live stream on Wizgig, so those who can't afford it will still be able to watch each week from the armchair. Although it is not the same as being there, I will be able to follow my team I have been watching for over fifty years at home in the warm.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Interesting points. I wonder how much the blanket Prem coverage affects season ticket sales? From my observations, since the advent of the Prem league a parallel group of supporters has developed who primarily follow their team on the tv. Whilst it is alien to us it seems to be an accepted way of following their team to them and they do all the same things as us except go to the pub or someone's house instead of a ground.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Interesting points. I wonder how much the blanket Prem coverage affects season ticket sales? From my observations, since the advent of the Prem league a parallel group of supporters has developed who primarily follow their team on the tv. Whilst it is alien to us it seems to be an accepted way of following their team to them and they do all the same things as us except go to the pub or someone's house instead of a ground.

My mate is a West Ham fan and lives in Hornchurch and they have a social club that show all the Hammers games on big screens. They charge £2 entrance fee and the drink and food all very cheap. They have about 400/450 people every game.

D

Deleted member 18477

a family/set of mates can watch their team at home/pub for a lot less than all of them going to the stadium.

i pay £63 for sky per month (full package + HD, not ESPN though). If Brighton are in the prem i'd get BT Sport as well... so for the sake of this let's say £73...

now you can watch a lot of sport, movies + other TV (sky 1, sky atlantic etc.) for £73. you only get 2 games per month for £35-£70 per month with a ST... (i'm guessing the prices a bit because i don't know how much the really expensive ST's in WSL cost per month.) but in terms of time that's a lot less entertainment a month if it were 1 or the other.

for most people sky is a better entertainment package (not all i know - some would prefer just to watch live footy and no games on TV)... Going to the games is obviously the best way to follow a team as you feel more part of the club, you feel involved, you feel like a better fan as you're giving the club money directly and cheering the players on from the side instead of behind a screen but for me and i'm sure there are many others - you have others to think about in terms of finances so live football has become the additional luxury.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here