Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premier League ST prices

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We'd be playing agains the elite clubs in the country, of course it would be more expensive. Sadly, that's just how it is.

This is Barber's argument. Which I can understand.....as long as it cuts the other way as well ie if we get relegated it will be cheaper.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I would hope that what the club would do, in a gesture of goodwill, given that if we went up the level of lolly splashing around in the club funds would grow immensely, is freeze the ticket prices for our first season in the PL, but make it explicit that prices WILL increase in 14/15 regardless of what league we are in. Seems the fairest way to me. We've already started paying for 13/14 so it seems a bit off to just bolt on additional costs after we've started paying - as I assume they'd want to take a larger payment in June to cover what we haven't paid in April and May?

Nice thought but in the real world the prices are going to rise if we get to PL, the club have already said this but it is just a matter of by how much!

genre b. good

Oct 22, 2012
I genuinely find it incredible people keep raising that point as an argument against a price increase. We'd be playing agains the elite clubs in the country, of course it would be more expensive. Sadly, that's just how it is.

But you'd be there to watch Brighton, not the other teams, nothing should really have changed (at least not for ST holders). And 4 less games means 4 less transport subsidies, etc, as well.

It is completely believable that the prices will go up, but shouldn't just be accepted as a matter of course - they are too much anyway. In any case, since the club get extra TV money, more away fans, can charge non ST holders more for big games, etc. they shouldn't need to raise them again.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe they could keep ticket prices the same and raise the prices of pies and pints instead. Might stand a chance of getting served at half time then.

raycoppin

Raycoppin
Nov 16, 2012
Bognor Regis
I think the OP has a point, after paying a set amount for a few months and then they put it up, they must give the option of dropping the ticket and getting money back if the increase is beyond someones means, surely?

Also, by going up it is reckoned that in the first season in the Prem a club will earn around £45m, so, we will play less games (effective price increase) and they will add an additional price rise as it is the Premiership! So, why does the club need the price rise? Is it to pay the increased wages that Premiership players will earn? Is £45m not enough to cover wage rises? If not, does the new shirt sponsorship plus the many thousands of new shirts being sold in the summer, home and away, not cover it? Maybe they need the additional catering profit they will make from the new deal to cover it...

Don't get me wrong, I want to see us go up but it is amazing that a club feels the need to increase prices when they have an increase of £45m TV money, massive ground sponsorship, massive shirt sponsorship, 30,750 sold out season and match day tickets every other game, highest spend on food/drink per person in the whole league and premiership and 1,000's of new shirt sales.. Just saying..

I do agree that prices are bound to increase, but when I paid £1395 for an Arsenal season ticket for their first season at the Emirates I think we have a fairly good deal.
A relatively small club such as ours needs to bring in as much revenue as possible. Maybe that is why the season ticket money is paid this early in the year for next seasons seat, the club must be making a few bob from the interest that generates. Food and drink at the ground is pretty expensive, and the programme went up 50p and is definitely a cheaper version of last years offering. That aside, the team are very approachable as individuals, and friendly and courteous in my opinion. Gus will have to shell out much of our hard earned entrance fee on keeping us in the PL should we get there, or in next years campaign to get to the top flight.
On another note, does anyone know where Vicente parks his car. I got the shirt off his back at Barnsley last game of last year and want to get it signed..... Any info would be gratefully accepted

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
This is Barber's argument. Which I can understand.....as long as it cuts the other way as well ie if we get relegated it will be cheaper.

What I did find strange was, during the interview the guy tried to get Barber to say how much the tickets would rise too. He replied we honestly have not discussed it or come up with a figure, we don't want to tempt fate he said.
What a load of bollox, if they have not discussed it how do they know they would need to raise the price.
It is the first time in the very many years I have supported the club that we have had to pay an increase then be told it might not be enough and we will come back and take more. Well I have been supporting them since the fifties, with season tickets at the Goldstone, Preistfield, Withdean and now the Amex. If they do this, then my view is they can stick their tickets where the sun don't shine.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
What I did find strange was, during the interview the guy tried to get Barber to say how much the tickets would rise too. He replied we honestly have not discussed it or come up with a figure, we don't want to tempt fate he said.
What a load of bollox, if they have not discussed it how do they know they would need to raise the price.
It is the first time in the very many years I have supported the club that we have had to pay an increase then be told it might not be enough and we will come back and take more. Well I have been supporting them since the fifties, with season tickets at the Goldstone, Preistfield, Withdean and now the Amex. If they do this, then my view is they can stick their tickets where the sun don't shine.

Bore off you boring google!

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
It's the stuff of dreams.
Absolutely this. The last 2 seasons have been a real struggle and we'll be back in the Championship soon but there are things from the last 2 seasons that I swear I will remember to the day I die. I hope the powers that be have learnt a lot from the last 2 years and I hope we come back up soon.

If you go up, I hope you enjoy the ride.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
You're whinging about something that may or may not happen! If and when we get to PL and prices are announced worry about it then. You will have a decision to make either you pay what the club want or someone else will take your ST over but either way it is all hyperthetical at the moment!

Oh sorry for talking about something on this board that effects the Albion. Radio Sussex thought it was worth interviewing Barber on the subject, for the supporters to hear.
Perhaps you should contact them and ask them not to discuss hyperthetical subjects because you don't like it.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Oh sorry for talking about something on this board that effects the Albion. Radio Sussex thought it was worth interviewing Barber on the subject, for the supporters to hear.
Perhaps you should contact them and ask them not to discuss hyperthetical subjects because you don't like it.

Oh well lets hope for your sake that if and when prices are increased then you don't have to tell the club to "stick the tickets where the sun don't shine" then. I'm don't really think you understand modern football. The club will charge what they believe they will get the maximum revenue from, i.e. whatever the max price they believe they will sell out is and unfortunately there will be enough demand for STs to raise prices. This club is no longer the same club you started watching in the fifties, however sad it is it is a business that needs to make money and we as fans are one of their biggest income streams.
They will not announce anything until they know what division we are in, why would they? We we all told that the ST prices were for Championship football and were liable to rise for PL. No way would they announce this until PL is secured.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Oh well lets hope for your sake that if and when prices are increased then you don't have to tell the club to "stick the tickets where the sun don't shine" then. I'm don't really think you understand modern football. The club will charge what they believe they will get the maximum revenue from, i.e. whatever the max price they believe they will sell out is and unfortunately there will be enough demand for STs to raise prices. This club is no longer the same club you started watching in the fifties, however sad it is it is a business that needs to make money and we as fans are one of their biggest income streams.
They will not announce anything until they know what division we are in, why would they? We we all told that the ST prices were for Championship football and were liable to rise for PL. No way would they announce this until PL is secured.
Now that post makes sense and adds something to the thread without all the snide comments, well done on that post.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
JCL's who work on an "If it's not EPL it's not actual football" basis will crawl out of the woodwork to buy every cancelled season's ticket, at you-must-be-mad prices.

And then not show up for a third of the fixtures.

Three seasons in the Premiership and the Brighton you have known and loved for a couple of decades now -- dating from 1995, and the real beginning of The Troubles -- will be as dead as Woodbines and whippets and a sea of flat caps on the terraces.

Welcome to the big time. Single-game grandstand seats at Fenway Park I bought for $16.50 not that long ago are $52 now, when you can get them, and that's for 81 home games a year. This despite national MLB TV contracts, and perhaps the second or third most lucrative local TV rights. And I doubt the $8.00 beers are as good as anything at the Amex, while $40 per game parking makes the travel voucher look good.

The big time is more expensive than you can possibly imagine. Every dime of new revenue will vanish -- and not even into the owners' pockets.

[I see Totton Seagull has anticipated all of my points....he just types faster, is all.]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here